Author Topic: Powerbocks Steal Dork Prize From Segways  (Read 6873 times)

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
Powerbocks Steal Dork Prize From Segways
« on: March 13, 2008, 10:39:17 PM »
Just found this article online on www.wired.com

Powerbocks Steal Dork Prize From Segways
Congratulations, Segwayers! Segwaiters. Segwaynes?

Um, congratulations, people on Segways! Yours is no longer the dorkiest-looking form of transportation known to humanity! (Also, congratulations to speed walkers for dropping down to third place.) There are people out there with an even less dignified method of getting around. People who are unafraid to look like the offspring of a gazelle and a stilt clown.

People, actual human people who presumably have self-awareness, are using devices called variously Powerbocks, Powerizers, Powerisers, Jumping Stilts or "Those Spring Shoes Wile E. Coyote Used Sometimes."

Now, I want to make something clear here. There are those who think that when I refer to something as dorky, nerdriffic or engeekerated, that I'm somehow putting myself above it. Nothing could be further from the truth unless you equipped it with a reliable GPS and very specific instructions

No, I know that something has the Nerd Nature because when I see it I feel a pull from somewhere deep in my chest, the same general area that gets tickly when my allergies flare up. My first reaction upon seeing a Powerbocking video was, "Who said they could do that?" My second reaction was, "I gots to get one o' them!" I don't have an angel and a devil on my shoulder, I have Rocky and Bullwinkle. One may be more skeptical than the other, but neither of them is what you'd call a fashionista. If you're the sort to use the word fashionista. (I wish you wouldn't.)

Further evidence: My current main form of exercise is playing Warcraft while walking on a treadmill. Usually in my boxer shorts. And Crocs. Yes, yes, now you begin to see.

So, bocking, and the power thereof. Powerbocks are devices that you strap to your feet because you feel that it's been way too long since you fell down. They're like stilts, in that they make you a bit taller. They're like springs, in that they help you jump higher. And they're like replica swords, in that they prove you have more money than sense.

Looking at the various Powerbock videos on YouTube, there are a number of tricks, or vranks in Powerbock jargon, you can perform, or sido.

Jump
Jump and flip
Jump up on something
Jump down on something
Jump over something
Jump and flip over something
Be naked
Fall down

Once you've learned to sido these vranks, you can go onto the advanced stunt levels, of which there are none. I'm not seeing the "slide down the railings at the local library that's only open until noon" move that skateboarders have, nor the "sweep up a wall of snow, fly into the air, spin around like a tail-chasing kitten, land next to a huffy skier" move that snowboarders have.

Clearly someone needs to make up some better Powerbock moves. Someone who's never been on the things. Someone like me, down to the cellular level.

First off, LARPing. That's live-action role-playing for those of you blissfully unaware. Who wouldn't want to add that extra level of verisimilitude to playing an Elandian Double-Elf or a Yuppie Vulcan?

Secondly, you could do a thing on a picnic table where you hop on one bench, then jump over the table and hop on the other. There could be chicken on the table, which would make it more memorable.

Thirdly, there's absolutely no reason not to buy another set of the things and strap them to your hands. I won't tell your mom. Then you could kind of do this thing where you spring back and forth onto your hands and feet, back and forth, back and forth, like one of those things, I forget what they're called. Lemurs with post-traumatic stress disorder, I think.

Fourth, ride a bike in them. Let me watch you try.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Born helpless, nude and unable to provide for himself, Lore Sjöberg eventually overcame these handicaps to totally make up the words sido and vrank.

original article http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/commentary/alttext/2008/03/alttext_0305

« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 10:22:42 PM by webmaster »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
Re: Powerbocks Steal Dork Prize From Segways
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 10:57:35 PM »
Good article but he's a little behind the times with the tricks Naz

Larping I've had 3 offers so far  :biggrin:

Done the picnic table hop up on one seat onto the table and jump off and the chicken (I was on the PJ's  :haha:)

PJ's on the hands arrh good idea no more broken wrists  :banana:

And I've seen at least 2 people try a bike and one of them was doing quite well now the skateboard was funny  :haha:
(who was that on a skateboard ???)

Jason  :Hoofies2: (a dork and proud of it)

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 11:05:58 PM »
I thought it was written nicely if thats the right word to use  :biggrin:

At least he got the terms powerbocking and powerbocks right but he obviously hasnt seen the bocking kings in action, I was scratching my head at the term Vrank till I read at the bottom of the article  "Born helpless, nude and unable to provide for himself, Lore Sjöberg eventually overcame these handicaps to totally make up the words sido and vrank"

Some of the comments people have written are funny though:

"If you were to strap one to your hands & feet, you could become a real-life Spring Mario from Super Mario Galaxy! Wahoo!"

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 11:17:48 PM »
Yep just read the comments and some are very funny I think you should stick an add up a couple seemed to want them  :haha:

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline Becky

• EsseX Power Bockers
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 11:40:46 PM »
Fourth, ride a bike in them. Let me watch you try.

Umm, 1min 30 (Lockys video from the Cardiff meet last summer)
[youtube=425,350]CraMqbqYgLU[/youtube]

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 11:47:25 PM »
That's Adam (Nofear) on the bike isn't it? I knew I'd seen a vid of one of the welsh bockers trying that.

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 01:57:11 PM »
hah ahaha great article, i enjoyed reading it from a self confessed wow addict's point of view.
and no fear beating me to riding a bike with bocks on, ill have to be the first to bunny hop a bike with bocks on now i think

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 04:21:17 PM »
That 1st vid was great! It looked like he actually was jumping 2m high (or atleast nearly 2m). Until now I thought the claims on the box were a lie. :P ...Sorry I ever doubted you mighty Pro-Jump box. ;D
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline magzzie

• A little taste of the Bocker within
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 11:25:32 PM »

Jump
Jump and flip
Jump up on something
Jump down on something
Jump over something
Jump and flip over something
Be naked

Fall down

Offline Wontolla

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 10:18:05 AM »
"Powerbocks are devices that you strap to your feet because you feel that it's been way too long since you fell down."

Love it ;D :D ;D  and fully concur  :D :laugh: :D

Offline zefee

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 05:50:20 PM »
Hehe, good article, and I do like the way its written.
I went on a swing on my bocks, that was prety fun, standing up of course, did jump off it, and fell over, nothing hurt though ^_^

zef

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 06:13:02 PM »
I didnt see this first time around but what a great article.

I've not tried the trick of bocking naked but I expect its hard to stay up  :nana:.

:police:I'll get my coat....

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 09:48:15 PM »
I've not tried the trick of bocking naked but I expect its hard to stay up  :nana:.

If it was winter I suppose it would be. Tis hard to keep it up when it's cold. ;D
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Greggles

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • BOCK IT AND ROCK IT
    • www.eabockers.com
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 10:05:23 PM »
lol this guy probs ownes a segway haha ****** WOW addics i would LOVE to c him try bocking
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 11:01:16 PM by webmaster »

Offline GRS

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 10:07:59 PM »
Calm down Greg11, no need for the bad language  :(

Offline Greggles

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • BOCK IT AND ROCK IT
    • www.eabockers.com
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 10:12:13 PM »
lol sorry ppl like that annoi me sorry if i have corsed eny offnce to ppl acsept the dork that rote the first bit

Offline ShortSteve

• no im not really that short
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 08:24:21 PM »
this seems to have been writen by someone who is constantly wrapped in cotton wool and has sponge all over the floor and walls just incause he falls over. if you get my point

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 09:30:33 PM »
What the hell is a vrank? ???

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 10:23:35 PM »
right at the bottom of the original article he writes

"Born helpless, nude and unable to provide for himself, Lore Sjöberg eventually overcame these handicaps to totally make up the words sido and vrank."

I've added it to my original post  ;)