Author Topic: some thoughts...  (Read 7553 times)

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
some thoughts...
« on: April 28, 2008, 09:04:58 AM »
right a mate and i wetre batting around ideas to make bocks greater, when he asked why they didnt ship with a ski style boot.
i said with the spring weights being different to each person so then would their shoe size, so you would have to double fit yurself to weight and shoe size.
thus raising costs etc.
but i have been having a look around this morning and thought....
WOULD THAT WORK?

if you mounted the step in bingings to the pj footplate, then you could in effect leave the boots on the bocks meaning you could wear your new favorite  kicks to the meet.
its just a thought banded round, i have tried bocking with my snowboard boots on but they hurt my calfs as they are too tight.
but for some of the smaller legged members maybe a cool new mod?

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
Re: some thoughts...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 09:11:30 AM »
I pretty sure its been done and works well.  But having then fitted like that from the factory would be inpractical for reasons you have mentioned I think.

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 09:15:15 AM »
lol typoed much nero? lololol
your up early also naz.  :haha:

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline zendalfire

• StiltModZ.com
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 09:26:21 AM »
I looked into this mod, but discounted it for several reasons.
1. The snowboot itself would probably be very warm and make the feet sweat  :D
2. The brackets would make the footplate much wider, potentially easier to catch and trip oneself.
3. The entire setup would cost much more than just replacing the straps.
4. It would not be convenient to switch users, like when a friend wants to give them a go.
5. Extra weight = bad
etc, etc

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 09:32:02 AM »
yeah i see what your saying, but i was looking more at the step in part of the binding going on the existing footplates.
but i agree with your points other than the added weight, lol what goes down must bounce up

Offline zendalfire

• StiltModZ.com
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 09:41:31 AM »
Well, I guess I don't need anymore weight as I max out the springs quite easy :)
... no higher weight springs either...  time to make myself a pair of Fusion PJs  :D
But if you could get the locking mechanisms attached, they could be a nice added bit of security.
And leave the straps on, so normal shoe users could use them as well.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:49:56 AM by zendalfire »

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 09:48:47 AM »
aye i dont need anymore weight on mine, but theres some of us i know could do with a bit more height :haha:
but as you said it was the locking i was thinking most about,  something i could do with at times, to KNOW theres no movement

Offline zendalfire

• StiltModZ.com
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 09:52:36 AM »
If you're still using the standard straps, upgrading to Snowboard straps should add quite a bit of security.
Need more?  Add nylon webbing straps.  More?  Bolt your shoes to the footplate  ;D

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 10:02:34 AM »
yeah, 9hours left on my winning bid for snowboard bindings, if they dont keep my heels in i will nail my foot to the footplate see if that stays  :biggrin:

Offline zendalfire

• StiltModZ.com
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 10:08:44 AM »
I've found that having shoes that fit snug really help.
I also always re-tie my shoes just before bocking.
But, yeah, nothing beats a good set of replacement bindings  :thumbs:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 11:23:23 AM »
I thought about this one long and hard Nero (Bolting the shoe on)

The lads on Lord of the Rings all have boots bolted to their Skips

The main reason I didn't do it wasn't for weight of changing users it was because once I got to a meet and put them on I would have to carry a pair of shoes round with me all day (unless I had bought my car) and if I dammaged or broke a bock I would be barefoot while walking to the car to get my shoes

But if the boots clip to the bocks and you can remove them to walk it sounds good

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline TheLong1

• Sky High are just the best
    • sky high's official website
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 02:42:12 PM »
this sounds good, for most people. ive had no foot slipping since i got the bocks and also i havent even had to adjust the straps on the footplates, guess im just lucky that my feet stay strapped in. try thick boots or big trainers. they work for me.

Offline zefee

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 03:05:49 PM »
Gay as it sounds, ive found converse to be the best shoes for me, cos they fit my feet well, so i feel more stable. But would it not be possible to mod a pair of shoes to fit the snowboard bindings, and then just mount the bindings to the foot plate? so its like a slip in shoe, that clicks in, guess pro-jump could make there own brand of shoes =p=p

zef

Offline TheLong1

• Sky High are just the best
    • sky high's official website
Re: bock shoes
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 03:19:56 PM »
dont sound gay just a good point that youve came up with 'zefee'  :thumbs:

Offline XS

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 03:50:22 PM »
the only problem i see that hasn't been mentioned already is locking the boot to the foot plate is cool, but you've still gotta get your foot through the knee bar, which is never gonna happen with a snowboard boot on, so you loose the quickness of the lock in boot because you can't put the boot on till your foot is through the bar, unless you get cuffs, then you're good.  Also i've used the step in bindings and strap bindings on snowboards and in my opinion the straps are more secure and sturdier, good proof of this can be seen in the fact that no pro snowboarders use step in bindings.  You can get straps much tighter than you can tie your boot.

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 04:21:16 PM »
all good points but you know whats just occured to me, cleats!

the spd system thats used in mountain biking could be modded over to bocks.
and it could work nice in theory, you have clips on the pedals like this...
which you slide your shoe onto, they shoes vary quite a bit in style look..

another idea at least

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 04:28:02 PM »
Would they be secure enough to not need straps at all?
Looks like a good idea?
 :spudT:

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 04:31:57 PM »
im not sure tbf spud, lol the mtb system is called spud's!
they hold ya on to a bike secure enough but the possition of them could mean your heel could move.
im just bating around ideas in the hopes that one of our great modders will have a bash :P

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 04:35:44 PM »
Good idea to explore tho. All this modding can only be great for the future of bocks.

:spudT:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 05:33:29 PM »
I think they are designed to pert company in a big crash Nero but worth a try might be nasty if they undid when you went down during a fall (although might have saved me yesterday   :haha:)

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline Greggles

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • BOCK IT AND ROCK IT
    • www.eabockers.com
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 05:47:43 PM »
wouldent it hurt your toes or am i thinking of sumthing els

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 05:50:39 PM »
well spd's and that is what you all are talking about
it would be an idea but then it undoes it self at about 15degrees from the origan.
and greg it is the little clip thing that goes on to the bottom of a speshal shoe

Offline monkeyme5

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 06:00:05 PM »
hey all... I reckon its all down to preference, Ive been lucky, my feet fit snug into my PJs and I feel confident in them not moving around-whilst im moving around!, but we're all different... a nice snug slip into boot sounds great and done well would work to great effect... but the solutions to all the problems arising from doing this seems like a daunting task (XS made good point earlier)...

I just spent a few days with a hacksaw, some tape... a stanley blade an screwdriver lol trying to make mine lighter... Jus screw through your normal footwear into the footplate and carry a portable screwdriver wiv u eh eh ...
traded devil may cry and circle of doom in for cash cos was skint :(