Author Topic: Erm...Jumping time....help!  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Mini Ellis

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Mini Ellis <3 Greggles
Erm...Jumping time....help!
« on: May 14, 2008, 08:23:18 AM »
hey

well i am borrowing some bocks atm but am still saving to get my own ones so if anyones selling let me know =]

well more to the point - as some of you saw on sunday i started to do some jumps but now i seem to have got a bit worse by myself to get and height i have to be holdong onto summit. any suggestions on how i can get some height?

Mini Ellis xx

Dark Knight

Re: Erm...Jumping time....help!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 09:05:20 AM »
Waving your hand only help's balance ( flapping doesn't gain anything LOL ) !

Has you land and the spring bends band your knees.
Has the spring recoils jump yourself before the hoof leave the ground !
This will gain you height but the height the quicker you'll have to repeat the action !?

Don't look at your feet it makes it harder to balance, use a window or shadow to judge how high your jumping.

Offline Wally247

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 09:20:19 AM »
i chalked hight markers on my wall... they're at foot intervals so i have some idea as to how high im jumping... then film your self on a phone cam or vid... ect.

also if you fall over you have something to laugh at while in hospital! but lets hope not eh?

if you have big windows or simmilar its good to look at your self and admire your style as you jump... im not vain honnest lol
:
                                                          click for details

bocking puts the spring back in you step...

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 10:17:13 AM »

sorry dk but thats wrong, throwing your arms down or your elbows in as you land DOES increase the height you get, if you dont beleive me, stand up and quickly push your elbows (while bent) from horizontal to your sides and you will feel the weight going down your body
do that as your landing and it will give you a bit more spring.
another way to get more height outta your bounce is to ask someone to hold your hands while you jump, the person can then start to either pull down slightly as you come down, or push you up as you rise, either way when done properly can increase height, although this is no good for balance it does get you used to being higher on your stilts, which for all of us is a little scary at first

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Dark Knight

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 10:42:06 AM »

sorry dk but thats wrong, throwing your arms down or your elbows in as you land DOES increase the height you get, if you dont beleive me, stand up and quickly push your elbows (while bent) from horizontal to your sides and you will feel the weight going down your body
do that as your landing and it will give you a bit more spring.
another way to get more height outta your bounce is to ask someone to hold your hands while you jump, the person can then start to either pull down slightly as you come down, or push you up as you rise, either way when done properly can increase height, although this is no good for balance it does get you used to being higher on your stilts, which for all of us is a little scary at first

What goes up must come down ?
I mean most of the power of the jump is from the legs, arm do very little to high ! Try using just your arms to jump !? :banana:  <<Waves arms feet still on the ground !?
Flapping like a chicken just makes you look silly  ;D  :nanadance:

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 11:30:47 AM »
yes, but when you strap springs to your feet what comes down will go up.
i can assure you that extra height will be gained if you bring your arms down at the right time.....
its a technique i myself use DAILY the picture below is an example of what that technique can do......

also i meant to bring your elbows, lateral to your shoulders down to your sides, i didnt say anything about wile coyote style arm flippin
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 11:42:59 AM by Nero »

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 11:43:57 AM »
Any high-jumper, long-jumper, tripple-jumper, gymnast or trampolinist will tell you that correct arm motion is essential to optimal jump height. It's a biomechanical fact... and quite obvious if you think about it.

Though I thought DK was joking to be honest. The flappy, flailing of arms of the panicked n00b, indeed does little to improve jump height. :D

Please don't get Lukman started on this. He's convinced that you can jump with just your arms. No leg or ankle movement at all :rolleyes: (and I don't mean during a handstand). He's so weird... he's awesome ;D lol.

But yes, arms make a collosal difference to jump height.

Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Mini Ellis

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Mini Ellis <3 Greggles
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 06:22:21 PM »
Hey everyone thanks for that infomation i will now go have a try at that =]

and i do look in a window when i just anyway =p not too se height or anything...just cos im vein, only kidding!

i will let you know how i get on in a bit

Mini Ellis xx

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 08:43:37 PM »
I had a mad skill when I was younger
I used to whirl a 2 gallon bucket filled with water (almost to the brim) in a vertical circle without spilling it

Also got the knack of almost stopping it above my head (not quite but it looked good ) and many people used to say that my feet used to leave the floor at the top of the arc

So the point is a 2 gallon bucket inc water weighs about 10 kg so if I could get air with so little extra weight and one arm I dont see why it wouldn't be possible to jump with just your arms (and a lot of practice  :biggrin:)

Go for it Lukman you can do it

And flapping wildly may not gain height but it gives me something to do to take my mind off the impending pain of the fall  :haha:

Jason  :Hoofies2: