Author Topic: Bearings - - - silly question  (Read 6783 times)

Offline Wally247

Bearings - - - silly question
« on: June 21, 2008, 09:47:23 PM »
at risk of getting abused im going to ask this question anyway.....

how does a bearing work... what are the different parts and how do thery work?

where should there be movement and what should be solid????

the only dt i ever did was woodwork so metal and mechanical things mean nothing to me... hence why im asking this question.

any explenation would be nice  :biggrin:  even better if its pj related with pics :biggrin: :biggrin:

thanks

-Calum the Confused
:
                                                          click for details

bocking puts the spring back in you step...

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
Re: Bearings - - - silly question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 11:57:12 AM »
at risk of getting abused im going to ask this question anyway.....

how does a bearing work... what are the different parts and how do thery work?

where should there be movement and what should be solid????

the only dt i ever did was woodwork so metal and mechanical things mean nothing to me... hence why im asking this question.

any explenation would be nice  :biggrin:  even better if its pj related with pics :biggrin: :biggrin:

thanks

-Calum the Confused

There are lots of different types of bearings. Your PJs have 3 per stilt,one in the hoof pivot,one below the foot plate and one on the spring pivot right at the top of the frame. In this case, the bearings are steel tubes that support the bolts which fasten the components together,helping to reduce the friction as the parts move against each other.Applying grease or oil helps reduce the friction even more and increases the life of the bearings but they'll wear out eventually. The bolts that pass through the bearings need to be quite tight to eliminate any play, but not so tight as to restrict the movement of the components. Hope this helps a bit! :thumbs:

Edit: Just came across this by Gillybert.
http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1271.0

-Nobby
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 12:04:17 PM by Nobby »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 10:09:19 PM »
Close Nobby but you missed one

There is another bearing in the bottom of the Hoof (a lot of people miss that one I did at first)

You can get a good idea of how they work if you have a look at the mods I did to mine

http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=826.0

They are really very simple Top hat Bushes

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 10:49:40 PM »
In which case I shall hunt further to find this elusive bearing J!!! I like what you did on your lathe. A man after my own heart! I guess I may well have to find some brass bar (what OD stock did you use BTW?) and whip out the vernier calipers. :thumbs:

Nobby-

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 06:28:45 PM »
Don't use Brass mate It doesen't stand the impact very well use Phospher Bronze or Ally Bronze and coat it with Molyslip

O/D was 3/4" before machining

Ps Ph Bronze is very dear at the moment

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 05:35:30 PM »
I know a man who has 3/4" phospor bronze bar kicking around in our workshop! :thumbs:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 09:59:43 PM »
Make him an offer he can't refuse quickly  :haha:

I've just climbed out of the loft having finnished a set of Glass filled Nylon bearings (the lathe is in the loft  :biggrin:)

Should be interesting once I get a set to fit them in ( The Phossys don't seem to ever wear out so I'm gonna have to buy another pair  :biggrin:)

Offline Wally247

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 10:27:53 PM »
Thanks for all the feed back guys...
im still non the wiser thought it all goes "zooooooooom" right over my head...

Should be interesting once I get a set to fit them in ( The Phossys don't seem to ever wear out so I'm gonna have to buy another pair  :biggrin:)

:haha: you can fit them in mine if you dont find another pair lol  :biggrin:

i promice not to sue if i die?  ;D

calum

:
                                                          click for details

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 10:44:38 PM »
Nice try mate

But I am my own Crash Test Dummy  :haha:

You should see the results of some of my failed attempts before you volunteer  :biggrin:

I've had grown men screeming and hiding behind benches (and that was just my first test of a roller shutter door  :haha:) It went off like a bomb

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 10:47:53 PM »
 :haha: :haha: It all goes over your head because you asked an engineering question and two engineers answered! :biggrin: :biggrin: Don't worry about them too much. As long as they're lubricated and clean they'll last quite a while. Jason will probably pipe up too. Just my humble opinion that lube of any kind attracts dirt and effectively turns it into grinding paste,which in turn makes the lubricated part wear out faster.....Maintenance is therefore necessary,in that taking them apart and cleaning off the crap will make your stilts last longer and ensure smooth,noiseless operation..... :thumbs: :thumbs: :biggrin:

-Nobby

Offline Wally247

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 10:54:42 PM »
damn lol and there was i hoping to get som barings out of it lol

@nobby again with hte zoooooooooooooooooom all i understood of that was lubricant and grinding paste...

lol
:
                                                          click for details

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 10:57:39 PM »
Nice try mate

But I am my own Crash Test Dummy  :haha:

You should see the results of some of my failed attempts before you volunteer  :biggrin:

I've had grown men screeming and hiding behind benches (and that was just my first test of a roller shutter door  :haha:) It went off like a bomb

How the hell did you blow up a roller shutter? Want some pointers on how to fit 'em Reaper? I've done a few myself, manual (usually spring assisted) and motorised.....Lemme guess....You pulled the spring retaining pin before you'd loaded the shutter? :o

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 11:06:33 PM »
damn lol and there was i hoping to get som barings out of it lol

@nobby again with hte zoooooooooooooooooom all i understood of that was lubricant and grinding paste...

lol

Well...Get an old T-Shirt(make some rags),get the spanners out and take 'em apart....See how they work...Clean and re-lubricate the moving parts as you re-assemble 'em...Sorry,I like taking stuff apart.... I have very quiet PJs...... :biggrin:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 11:16:07 PM »
Now your first mistake was to assume I was "Fitting" a roller shutter (been there done that nearly lost the fingers  :biggrin:)

No No that would be too simple
I was making a roller shutter out of MDF and  Broom handles (don't ask why life is to short to explain it  :biggrin:)

Things went well until something jammed and the whole lot buckled at the top and then suddenly released

All kidding aside we found a screw embeded in the wall afterwards and were picking bits up for days after
my old guvnor was covered in sawdust when a lump took out the extract unit bag and I was a mass of bruises for weeks after
The bang it made was awsome I had ringing in my ears for 2 hours after

But that was tame compared to the Helicopter Router incident  :haha:

As for lubrication I found silicon grease to work well and it dosen't pick up the rubbish as much

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 12:54:30 AM »
I knew I shouldn't have asked....MDF and broom handles? And I made a mistake? :biggrin: :biggrin: :nana:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 09:20:21 PM »
It worked right up till it Didn't  :nana: and quite well actualy but I wasn't allowed to develope it further  :haha:

Due to health and safety I was told to fit sliding removable doors   :biggrin:

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 12:26:20 AM »
 Reaper,If ever I get to meet you,face to navel, 'cos I'm only 5'9" :biggrin:, Do me a favour and remind of the "Firework code" will ya?...I'll bring a Taper.....Then I'll light the blue touch paper and  retreat to a safe distance!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 09:38:34 PM »
I think my mate summed me up well one day when he noticed that I have 6 full sized commercial fire extinguishers in my house and said have you got enought of those

And there wasn't a hint of sarcasm in his voice he genuinly thought a couple more would be a good idea  :biggrin:

He also won't get into a car with me unless it has a full roll cage  :haha: