Author Topic: getting hold of a lower spring bracket (from an older generation)  (Read 5539 times)

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
hi, a few of you should know me already from pp etc, but anyways on with the matter at hand.

So i've ordered a pair of T-rex springs, and 7's feet to fit onto my pro-jumps, they will fit, but as mine are version 4, the feet have the little curvy in bit where the spring attaches, and 7's feet don't have this.

so simply put, where can i get hold of a larger bracket, like one found on previous generations of pro-jumps, as this would then fit, i've e-mailed 7-leagues sales, but that was a couple of days ago and have no response yet, does anyone have a couple lying around...or know somewhere that still has them?

current brackets are roughly 4cm wide, so i need the ones larger than that to make it work

...fast help would be greatly appreciated, moving out in a week and a bit, so need to sort out stuff soon really

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
Re: getting hold of a lower spring bracket (from an older generation)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 11:37:13 AM »
I dont think we have any of the old brackets left to be honest, don't know which 7's dealer you tried, but pm Trip on here or Trip Master on PP he usually logs in daily and maybe able to sort you out with that part, that way it will definately fit, you may also need to check the size of the metal tube inbetween the bushings as I know the ones on the original versions were longer than the ones that came after.

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 11:44:07 AM »
thanks, i'll try pm-ing him later, and the length of the rod had crossed my mind, the bolt should belong enough (just), so i was thinking i could just add extra washers to the bolt, and see if that works, and it was sales@7-leagueboots.co.uk can't remember the guys name off the top of my head.

...don't suppose there's anything else i should consider is there?

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 11:46:56 AM »
that is Trip's site, maybe his not around at the moment or he hasnt seen it. It may be better getting the lower bushings / the tube & bracket from him as that way you are not trying to make parts fit!

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 11:51:26 AM »
ah right, well he's got an e-mail waiting for him on the 7-leagues e-mail, and i just prodded him on PP, so he should get the message sometime soon hopefully, thanks for the extremely fast help, topic is semi-closed unless someone thinks of other problems i might have

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 11:57:45 AM »
I think Lukey on PP did a vid on how to change the foot part too if it helps

Found it

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 12:13:15 PM »
yeah, i found that a few months ago, by the looks of it he had the older hooves without the bend, so could just fit them straight on.

...oh and i don't suppose you happen to know the width of the 7's springs at the bottom, or whether they will fit into the thinner hooves, as i could live with tiresocks etc until i can get hold of the 7's brackets...but then again feet haven't even got here, so i guess i should be patient and wait :D

edit: O.o maybe he doesn't...hmm, *downloads the video and tries to zoom in and see*
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 12:16:33 PM by darfgarf »

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 12:49:17 PM »
I think the springs will fit onto the PJ Feet, I may be wrong but I think skips and 7 springs tend to be more narrower towards the bottom anyway, but dont hold me to that :P

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 09:14:51 PM »
Should be an interesting exercise darfgarf

Don't forget that the 7 springs are shorter than PJ ones (at least the S-rex ones are) so it might affect the geometry of the Bock but you should be able to correct that with the stabilisers

Think from what I've seen of both you should be OK with the feet if you take the spacers off of the 7 springs and make some thinner ones

Good luck mate

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 09:30:11 AM »
yeah, i heard that 7's have a centre of gravity further back, which is probably from a shorter spring, shouldn't be too hard to fit on though, and yeah the stabiliser rods should be able to compensate, i've currently got them pretty short to get more weight on my heels, and my almost dead PJ springs are starting to wobble at the end of a spring, like the other way, probably from the length of the rods, but i'll see when they arrive.

...got an e-mail today saying they've been shipped, on 2-4 days delivery, which should be ok, but after saturday anything addressed to my house gets redirected to grandmas, as we move out on wednesday, hopefully it'll arrive before then to avoid troubles with the post office...hopefully.

...and if this works, i was intending to make a little tutorial, mainly for the feet as quite a few people seem to want to do it lately

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 09:31:47 AM »
I say hoofies for the win lol  :D

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 09:49:47 AM »
yeah but i can't be askled to make any decent hoofies, and i'm running out of bike tires for socks, so if i can get the 7's feet to fit, the cost and trouble of fitting them should be worth it in the long run...should unless everyones been lying and i wear through them in a matter of days

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 09:58:06 AM »
you don't have to make hoofies you buy them from Jason  :D and in the long run could be more cost effective!
To be honest depends how much you bock and where you use your bocks and bocking style which will ultimately decide how long they last.

Dark Knight

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 10:10:09 AM »
If you go to a good bike shop you can pick up a good tire for about £10 which could make 3 pairs and remember you can use both sides so get 6 set out of it !?
Mate gave me an old tire .... it was rubbish, it's worth buying new  :thumbs:

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 10:20:03 AM »
umm well i can wear through a nearly new tire in a few hours, bocking is usually concrete/grass, for about 4+ hours at a time, pretty much nonstop, so unless hoofies last 1/3rd of the time of 7's feet or more, then it's not worth it, and tiresocks are ok...for now, but i have to leave the rims on to stop them slipping, which makes them ugly and thats not allowed :P

Dark Knight

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 10:26:39 AM »
umm well i can wear through a nearly new tire in a few hours, bocking is usually concrete/grass, for about 4+ hours at a time, pretty much nonstop, so unless hoofies last 1/3rd of the time of 7's feet or more, then it's not worth it, and tiresocks are ok...for now, but i have to leave the rims on to stop them slipping, which makes them ugly and thats not allowed :P
I've never left the rims on just pull them tight. These where the first pair I ever made !
http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=218

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 10:45:46 AM »
even pulling them extremely tight, using hoseclamps cableties and lots of duct tape i could never get them to stop slipping sideways, could be due to the fact my PJ hooves are really uneven on the bottom, with chunks taken out of them, and cracking off at the sides, current ones are working ok...ish even if they do look crap but meh the stuff in the post now, so no going back for me...and it's probably best to have 7's springs with 7's feet, to make at least part fo the stilts fit together correctly, mine are fast becoming botched together pieces of metal that half work...i should untape my most broken spring and post more pictures up after i change them, the cracks spread all the way from the lower joint nearly down to the bolts now, and it's a pretty deep chunk, still useable, just have an effective rating of like 40Kg for one spring and 50 for the other xD

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 10:54:47 AM »
hoofies are not made from a bike tyre though and from what I have seen are far more longer lasting than tyre socks. I cant really compare them to 7's feet though since I dont have hoofies but I've seen people who do have them who are serious bockers and they dont seem to be causing any problems.

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 11:01:11 AM »
meh they're in the consideration pool, but first gotta sort out the springs, then paint the entire bocks an nice chromey silvery colour...if i can find some decent paint that won't rub off again fot the plastic bits etc...and some shiny silvery tape aswell...then see how tha 7's feet hold up to my abuse, after that well we'll see what my crazy mind thinks of next

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 06:43:14 PM »
right, so everything arrived today, and i eargerly unwrapped my springs+feet, only quibble i have at the moment is the way they were wrapped, there was ample bubblewrap, but probably needed more at the ends...and by the looks of the rips in the packaging, looks like DHL had been playing catch over a spike pit, there were large chunks of packaging taken out, and a small chip in one of the springs, doesn't look like anything serious though, so i put them straight on and started bocking.

7-leagues springs are infact a little wider than PJ ones at the ends, but still fit the frames (just, risk of the frame grinding into the spring if the brackets/frame/spring aren't all perfectly straight).

for the 7's feet, the PJ bolts and bearings would just about fit it, though a longer bolt would probably be needed to make sure the locknut bites into the bolt and doesn't come off again, but:

if you have PJ hooves with the curving in hooves (v4+ i think) then 7's feet will not fit without new brackets!

...well the PJ bracket can be stretched over the hoof, but once you take the bushings into account, the amount of bending necessary is too much, so if anyone's going to do it get some larger brackets first.

first impressions of T-rexes:umm...wow...i'm like speechless and stuff.

i'll be making a little tutorial once i sort out the hoofs, which while i'm on the subject, i've e-mailed the 7's sales, and pm'ed trip master, no response from either yet, so i still need to get hold of larger brackets, if anyone happens to hafe a couple spare lying around, could they like pm me or something and we can sort out a deal?