Author Topic: Questions about jump stilts...  (Read 5251 times)

Offline Wannabejumper

Questions about jump stilts...
« on: October 23, 2008, 02:42:57 AM »
Hey guys, I've just joined tonight to get a few answers from actual users...
                  I tried a set of spring stilts at my Uni the other week and I really liked them, I think they'd be great fun and I seemed to pick it up quite easily, I was bouncing around on my own (nearly, kind-of =P) within a couple of minutes, but I must admit I'm not big on breaking bones or beating the hell out of myself, first question: Is this likely?  :P
          To be honest I figure at first I'm going to fall quite a bit so the first question is a bit redundant but my main question is how do I get a set of stilts with soft straps instead of the knee-bar shown in the images (that's what the ones I tried had and apparently they are more comfortable) but also, am I better off getting the bar in the interest of safety and durability?
                   Basically I'm really interested in getting into spring stilts and I would just like advise on which to buy, whether I should buy pads and maybe even some tips on how to get started.

Any help you guys can give me is much appreciated!
                                                                                 Thanks,
                                                                                          D

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
Re: Questions about jump stilts...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 08:58:11 AM »
In answer to your questions

Falling
Is inevitable if you try new things. Very rarely do you hurt yourself badly if you fall correctly. If you work up to things gradually you will minimise any risks. Also a set of wrist pads, and knee pads are a must. Initially I would also suggest a set of elbow pads as well until you are confident.

By soft straps I think you mean calf cuffs. These are now sold with PJ`s but at an additional cost (I think). It is about preference. Some people do not like cuffs, most feel secure. The choice is yours

Tips on how to get started
read the forum, there are loads of tips, secondly there are lots of meets taking place around the country. Choose one thats near you or go to a gym meet. Meeting others and trying things out in a gym with mats will speed your development process
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Wannabejumper

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 01:17:43 PM »
Thanks very much!
                       So to get calf cuffs do I just ring them and specify that I would like cuffs rather than a bar? Also where abouts can I find out about local meets? One more little question, it's about the legal side of pro jumping, are you allowed to do it in the street? Have they already been addressed by the law or are they still unknown?
                       Thanks for you help mate, good answers and straight to the point =)
                                                                               D

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 01:23:00 PM »
Welcome to the forum :)

The cuffs will be sold bundled with the projump so you get both the knee bar already attached to the Frame and the cuff separate which you would have to fit.

We will also be selling the cuffs on their own.

With regards to jumping around on the streets, there's no law against it but I would advise that you use them in open spaces away from the general public so you are not at a risk of injuring passers by and cars. 

Offline Athoul

• PJF Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 01:28:40 PM »
Also where abouts can I find out about local meets?

Where abouts are you from?
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Offline Wannabejumper

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 04:26:33 PM »
I'm in Sheffield, are there any groups around here?
                 I spoke to a couple of different companies about their stilts but pro-jump are the only ones who I could find in the UK who sell calf cuffs, not to mention the fact that one of the companies I spoke to were rude and seemed like amateurs (giving false information etc.) so I will be buying from pro-jump. Thanks for all the advise you've given me.
                   I'm also considering buying the full upper body jacket along with the wrist and knee pads, has anyone used the jacket? If so is it worth getting? Plus would I be wise to buy a helmet at first? Do you often end up on your head? =P
                                                   Thanks,
                                                               D

Offline Jack

• EA Bocker
    • www.eabockers.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 04:57:02 PM »
knee pads and wrist gaurds are a must but personally i wudnt get a helmet unless your going to try to flip in the first 5 mins.. but if u feel too unsecure buy a helemt too

Offline Wannabejumper

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 05:03:02 PM »
Cheers man, that's what I was thinking, you shouldn't often end up on your head, I wont be flipping straight away, but I want to start jumping down things as soon as I can run and jump =P. I'm really excited about getting into it, especially if I can find people to go bocking with!

P.S. Athoul I think I just watched you jump over a set of swings, how long before you could do that?

'D

Dark Knight

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 05:28:34 PM »
Welcome to planet Bock.
Before you post too much here could I ask you one thing ?
Do you really want to be know as "WannabeJumper"  :-\

I like my bars they not meant as safety pad but are great the rest a knee/shin pad against.
Pro-Jump sell pads and if you get them all together you'll not start learning before your pads turn up  :thumbs:

Pads are cooler than blood and broken bones  :Dark_Knight:

Offline Jack

• EA Bocker
    • www.eabockers.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 05:35:46 PM »

Pads are cooler than blood and broken bones  :Dark_Knight:

I completely disagree :biggrin:

P.S still get pads tho lol

Offline Wannabejumper

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 06:06:57 PM »
Lol, thanks guys, and in reply to you dark knight, when I actually have a set and can actually jump on them I might consider giving myself an alias, however right now I'm exactly what my name suggests, a complete noob who'd like to be a bocker. If you turn  :Straddle5: upside down then that's what I'd look like if you strapped me into a pair right now =P.  I've no shame in my noobism, I WILL be completely padded up lol, I WILL look like a dork, and I will f**ing love it ;D
                                                But you may be right,
                                                                  thanks,

The God-Like Bocker   ;)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 09:20:54 PM »
A lot of people will tell you you don't need a helmet and for 99% of people that is right
I don't wear one now but for the first couple of months I did and so did Clive and both our hats have scr***es on them

But if you are in the 1% it could be fatal so you will be better off with one for your first couple of months

Yes you do normally fall on your B*m, your hands, or your side but if you happen to be near a wall when you make that first noobie mistake a helmet will literaly save your life

So a set of Pit Dirt knee and elbow pads a set of wristguards and a lump of hard foam stuffed down the back of your trousers (yes I did  :haha:)
and a helmet (cheap skate helmets are about £20)

And you will soon be the Bocking God  :thumbs:

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline Wannabejumper

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 11:30:00 PM »
Sounds like good advise to me Jason, not sure about the foam down the pants but I can see why you would want too, when I skated I bruised my tail bone, hurt like HELL. Do you normally manage to get your hands back to prevent that though? I plan on getting the full upper body jacket plus wrist guards, knee pads and a helmet. Thanks very much for the sound advise, hopefully I'll be bouncing and smashing my face in soon! :P
                                                                       D

Dark Knight

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 11:36:08 PM »
hopefully I'll be bouncing and smashing my face in soon! :P
You don't have to bounce to hit your face some can just run into sign posts   :banghead:

Offline masterking09

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 01:13:04 PM »
DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT put ur hands behind u if u r about to fall backwards, that is how most of the broken wrists and fingers happen.  instead try to roll sideways wen ur falling.  so that u r facing forward wen u fall, then u can use ur hands to stop urself

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 02:08:10 PM »
I have the full body kit.  I did wear it a lot at first but as I got better I found it too hot for extended use.

I do still use it if I am running as it has saved me some road rash problems when falling which I seem to do most when running  ;D
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Wannabejumper

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 03:36:47 PM »
Running into signposts doesn't sound fun but I bet it happens more often than you'd think lol!

Thanks for the tip masterking, I'll make sure I don't slam my hands down when falling backwards.

I bet there will be some comedy moments on stilts where it's like when you bike too close to the curb and just CAN'T seem to make yourself turn away only I'll be falling backwards without even attempting to stop it, like a 6'8'' plank of wood :P.

I looked on the Bocking map and it seems there are only 1 or 2 people in Sheffield =(, are there many meets up this end of the country?
                                            Thanks =)

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 09:18:25 AM »
With regards to meets, I have not seen many tend to be in Bradford or Lincoln
Grow old disgracefully

Offline rickbicker26

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008, 09:28:01 AM »
hopefully I'll be bouncing and smashing my face in soon! :P
You don't have to bounce to hit your face some can just run into sign posts   :banghead:

hmm yes greg had nice gash on his head from walking into street sign.

and then jason with his head plant when he was practicing front flips