Author Topic: Summer weekend meet  (Read 3000 times)

Dark Knight

Summer weekend meet
« on: October 24, 2008, 12:51:35 PM »
A big meet like CB takes a lot of work but maybe a early summer weekend meet could give bocking a promo for other to buy stilts for the summer.
There are the odd groups that do their own weekend meets but if we can sort a location and date for a weekend somewhere in the UK ( so anyone can get to ) who'd think you'd go ?
Like Locky pointed out about CB we could do with finding a indoor location for at least one day, but remember there maybe a limit to how many can us it at one time ?
Any outside loction must be able to accommodate us without getting in the way of others ?

Getting to the piont, can anyone think of a loction we could hold this sort of event ?
Maybe even nexts years CB ( if Locky doesn't mind  :) )  ?

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
Re: Summer weekend meet
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 02:11:36 PM »
Do not want to step on Capital Bocking

I could discuss a summer weekend meet with East Lindsey District Council who support events in Skegness. This may tie in with their Summer Sports Events calendar. Tried to do this last year but ran into planning and insurance issues that could not be sorted in time for event. I would be pretty sure that i could get an alternative site (School Gym) if the weather turned bad.
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 03:00:13 PM »
aid guess thiswould be b4 or after exam season  and prob b4. so a head to those dates would be good. it is to be hoped that there will be another mallorca meet next year ( if there isnt I suspect the peepswho went would go anyways  ;D). Also the walk for Life in early june.

1 of the 2 may bank hols might be good id have thought.   Might be a idea to link in with another event ---like the Wight extreme last month. If peeps know of any Parkour jams or trials bike meets or simila type of things( or websites to check their callenders). I seem to recall there was a big urban sports festival near tate Modern early last summer ( but as so often I only got to read about it a few days b4 it happened-indeed it may have been on the day) as an example.Most large towns and cities will have events on during those w/e's.

Another opion/theme  is not the 'doing stuff' but 'not doing stuff' and have a more chilled 'bocking on the beach w/e). TThis might put Portsmouth into play  tho there isnt a gym sorted there at the mo ( un not looking great at mo). I wouldnt reccomend the roads behond southampton to the west on bank hols or skewl hols period.

OO and I think Im doing a 'photo treasure hunt' tomorrow. Teams of 4  ill be on bocks ( if  shane has sorted 2 other peeps out  ;D). Absolutly no idea what its about. But 1 suspects its somat we could do --and wouldnt matter if it was raining ( scept it would be damp). Igot a bit of a clue. 1 gets clues to locations/objects in the town have to run off find um and take a digital pix of um, then get back to the base

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 05:00:21 PM »
Without going nuts on info here, by about June next year there is stuff happening that will really bring bocking into the mainstream and by that I mean it wont be looked on as a really unusual sport. Also there is stuff going on for CB09 that should kind of take care of all the needs a bocking event might want, but again every stage of this has hurdles to tackle and tick boxes to tick.

I guess what I'm saying is, dont plan an event based on the general bocking image now because by next summer it will be a little bit different.

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 05:20:44 PM »
concur with locky =]

Dark Knight

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 05:47:51 PM »
I was just thinking that the weathers usely warmer and the days longer and think we get more poeple talking about bocking early in the summer.
That would mean anyone who hear/see us could have the whole summer to go out bocking where as CB may mean parent may end up buying them a pair for Xmas  :-\

I just thinking that we should all think of ways of meet bockers other than your local group. Something that may means they'll travel miles to your meet.

If people already thinking of plans for next year  :thumbs:

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 05:49:02 PM »
well das a little unfair,we just sit around?

Do we do anything?  it is 'our' sport as well.

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 10:59:59 PM »
What exactly is unfair Q? Why do you always twist peoples comments so they appear negative. I was simply giving some advice but you immediately go and twist things when there really is no need. Put your toys back in the pram please.

To clarify, there is no big secret thing going on that is going to drastically change the world of bocking by next summer, and I never meant it to sound like there was. What I am saying is that there are many developments happening across the country with bocking, some are not as well known as others but in any case I would simply suggest that the bocking scene in the UK now (and pretty much as we have known it for the past year or so) is going to change. This change is not down to one person or one group but will be a collective effort.

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 09:25:51 AM »
Just a small point. I have had to change one of the full day events planned at Lincoln

The last event is 30th May, does this conflict with anything ?
Grow old disgracefully