Author Topic: Heya guys, Newbie here :)  (Read 4967 times)

Offline Warwick

• Newbie :)
Heya guys, Newbie here :)
« on: December 08, 2008, 08:48:29 PM »

Heya everyone im sure questions like this are asked all the time here but its best to know than to dive straight in without any knowledge first :)

(let me know if i get any of this wrong)

Im about 11 stone, so should go for M80s?
Wrist pads seem like a definate choice
Which safety gear set do i go for? The adult set or the protection set? (im assuming adult may be better as is more expensive, but only a little?)
Skate helmet because brains on pavement isn't a good look :S

Spine protector seems a little too far to me? or would you recceoment i get one of those too?

Any other advice you could give a beginner too would be greatly appreciated :)

(Oh just to add in, i live in south east kent, so on the off chance is there anyone near who could give me pointers when i start?)

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
Re: Heya guys, Newbie here :)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 08:54:51 PM »
Protection

Wrist Guards, Knee Pads and Elbow pads are a must. At the beginning a helmet is a good idea too.

Depends what you want to do, in my experience running quickly requires more padding as you fall & slide for a bit of road rash

Next comes jumping things or jumping on and off things again all the above are best at first.

As you get better you will be more comfortable without some protection but most will still use at least wrist and knee pads even on mats

With regards to adult or junior, depends on your size my son is 14 and has been wearing adult pads from 13
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Jack

• EA Bocker
    • www.eabockers.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 08:56:10 PM »
i would say M80 or M90 i wud personally go for 90s

pit dirt knee pads and wrist gaurds are a must you can wear a helmet if u want to

Offline Warwick

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 09:00:47 PM »
forgot to add that im 18... so m90s then?

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 09:10:39 PM »
hi
im from north kent and we have got a gym session sorted out for the 4th of jan at 4
http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2786.msg38510;topicseen#new

Offline Schoie

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 09:27:51 PM »
I would go for m90s.

Definately get wrist guards.
Not alot of people wear helmets but the first time I tried running I tripped and battered my head against the concrete and thank God I was wearing a helmet, I don't wear one anymore tho.
Knee pads help alot with getting the knee bar more secure and have helped protect my knees on a couple of falls.
Never worn elbow pads and never fell in a way that made me injure then I'm sure people have tho.

Just browse through the forum and most questions will probably be answered
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 03:00:23 PM by Schoie »
Some People Think I'm Bonkers...
But I Just Think I'm Free...
Man I'm Just Living My Live...
There's Nothing Crazy About Me...

Offline Warwick

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 09:53:17 PM »
hi
im from north kent and we have got a gym session sorted out for the 4th of jan at 4
http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2786.msg38510;topicseen#new

aawe no, im gutted now, im in devon until the 5th after christmas :( visiting my dad there for new years

do you arrange those often?

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 12:38:46 AM »
Welcome Warwick  :thumbs:

They have meets every month/6 weeks ish. They are not regularly timed but they happen  ;)

I always wear a skid lid, Its bright green and Its random haha. I duno why i wear it but its saved my head from signs and stuff lol

:spudT:

Offline Warwick

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 12:42:00 AM »
haha thanks spud :) i think im gonna go with a helmet when i start, at least for a little while :)

Offline Puddster

• Meh
    • Zedge
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 12:56:01 AM »
Welcome to Projump Forums, hope you enjoy your stay.

One newbie to another, wrap yourself up until you're comfortable...  Better to be safe than sorry, but I found the best safety gear was another person when I was learning to walk/run.  Cheesy saying, but, "Safety First, First Aid Last"

And something else I saw on here, can't remember who by, but it was something along the lines of "A little bit of insanity is good, but too little is boring and too much is dangerous".

Good luck!

Dark Knight

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 01:38:22 AM »
And something else I saw on here, can't remember who by, but it was something along the lines of "A little bit of insanity is good, but too little is boring and too much is dangerous".
Wasn't here !

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 09:11:34 AM »
Actually DK. I remember saying something quite like that a while back. I will find the quote when I'm bored sometime lol

It wasn't quite what the puddster said but its on the right lines

Too little self confidence can slow progression...too much can be dangerious.

http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2206.0

:spudT:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 09:26:07 AM by Spud »

Offline Puddster

• Meh
    • Zedge
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 01:00:33 PM »
Spud's got it!  Sorry, been attacking assignments and only just had a short nap.  The brain's started to malfunction! lol

Offline Hilly-of-the-Marshes

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 03:19:27 PM »
Im about 11 stone, so should go for M80s?

i would say M80 or M90 i wud personally go for 90s

I would go for m90s.

Personally i've started to feel that these are mistakes. More experienced bockers tend to tell people to aim above their weight, because thats what they do now, but given recent evidence, i think this is not necessarily the best option. I think it helps your bouncing technique more if you start with your own weight and then move up once your springs are obviously too soft, i know im probably going to get some hate mail for this change in logic, but i've seen people progress much faster if they build up the spring weights; this way you can better your technique and then apply it to a stiffer spring to increase your height, the only downside being monetry related.

However if you want to go straight for the heavier springs and save money, go ahead, its perfectly possible to do well without building up gradually, but i think it will be harder to do, but if you can prove me wrong, criticism welcome...

Offline Schoie

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 04:19:56 PM »
I do agree with your logic there, U probably would progess faster as there's less resistance in the spring making it easier to learn, then as you get better increase the resistance. But from a money point of view, I personally wish I had gone for some stronger springs as as I get better and they start bottoming out (providing I get that good) it's gonna cost me £75 if I want any more height in my jumps. In most of the threads related to this issue people usually put it'll be harder to begin with and will take more practice just forgot to mention it this time. I think we all just presume people would want the cheapest option even if it's gonna take more time and effort.

A Good point tho
Some People Think I'm Bonkers...
But I Just Think I'm Free...
Man I'm Just Living My Live...
There's Nothing Crazy About Me...

Offline Hilly-of-the-Marshes

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 04:25:52 PM »
I do agree with your logic there, U probably would progess faster as there's less resistance in the spring making it easier to learn, then as you get better increase the resistance. But from a money point of view, I personally wish I had gone for some stronger springs as as I get better and they start bottoming out (providing I get that good) it's gonna cost me £75 if I want any more height in my jumps. In most of the threads related to this issue people usually put it'll be harder to begin with and will take more practice just forgot to mention it this time. I think we all just presume people would want the cheapest option even if it's gonna take more time and effort.

A Good point tho

But thats just it, ive never seen anybody mention this point of view, everybody always says, go two sizes up, just regurgitating what they've read on the net, people dont seem to make their own opinions anymore, like people saying certain stilts are better, i wont name-drop, but i think there's not an awful lot of difference in bounce quality, though perhaps in endurance, which is why i've just decided to build something which i would find more comfortable, as i dont like knee bars or calf cuffs particularly much

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 06:36:07 PM »
hmm i personally think that u should go for m80s as ur new and if u get m90s u will strugle until uve almost fully broke the spring in so go for m80s then when uve snapped them in half get m90s XD

With the padding ive experianced loads of falls from running absolutle millions and i slipped on ice bouncing and i found that u deffo need wrist and knee the amount of times i ripped my jeans also the soft padding on ur bocks i recomend u tape tht or sumthing coz if u fall it kinda rips and looks ugly :P

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline Warwick

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 09:09:43 PM »
thanks for all the great advice so far guys :) nice to be made to feel so welcome in just a couple days :)

keep the advice coming :) and thanks again