Author Topic: Bock Orienteering  (Read 3463 times)

Dark Knight

Bock Orienteering
« on: January 04, 2009, 05:30:10 PM »
Q came up with a great idea that could work well at meets especially the bigger meets.
Orienteering on bocks for an hour or two small groups could scatter around the area moving in small groups from place to place. It would give bock a challenge and because we would be moving all over we would be seen by lots of poeple and in small group not get in other peoples way.

I've been thinking of how we could do it and thought of the idea of a trail of clues rather than map reading, this way you could have fun but learn a little about where you bocking.
It would work a bit like this.

Each group would be given a list of clues to follow and would set off at intervals.
These clue would lead them to a place and either this would be a place to passby or maybe you would have to perform a task of some sort or maybe allowed to bock in the area for a set time.
We all have a camera's  ( phone camera's would do ) and where asked you would take a picture to prove you completed the task.
When you finish you could bounce about the finish location untill the rest turn up.
You could do it just for the fun of it or give out a prize out if you like ?
These group could be any size with reason and wouldn't have to be just bockers, ground crew could be part of the team or maybe they'd like to be a team themselves, it all a bit of fun

This would mean someone would have set the cource and mean alot of work but I think it would be something different than just a group meet ?

It would also mean that you'd have a lot of picture to laugh at afterwards like a group being in the wrong place, getting the task wrong or even one of the tasks meant you had to pose in a silly way for a picture.

I think Q's orienteering idea is a great and fresh idea for a meet/event  :thumbs:
Wish I'd come up with it   ;D

What do you think ?

« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 05:32:32 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline lynch

Re: Bock Orienteering
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 05:41:19 PM »
i like the sound of that

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 05:46:32 PM »
I dont lol

Dark Knight

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 06:07:02 PM »
I said an hour or two maybe not so long that part could be tailored to the event itself.

Think of some of the meets you went to where thing got a little slow an hour running about like a bunch of nutters would change the pace.  :woohoo:

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 06:12:17 PM »
If the places where you are sending people are cool bocking spots then I kinda get the point. Also if the meet was huge and some cool spots were small it could work, would be quite hard to coordinate I think. I wouldn't want to organsise it, i don't know anybody who would. It seems like a large amount of work for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist yet  :-\

One of the nice things about meets is everybody bocking together at cool places and helping each other out and meeting new people too, if you are all in different places it makes that kinda hard. Big meets should have big places to bock where people can be together and safe. Maybe small groups branch of for a little while over the day to check out little areas bot otherwise  :-\

Yea, more people might see bockers but for me the point in meets is meeting people and having fun. Not advertising the sport. It comes as a bi product but for me, not the whole point. we go with the flow at norwich and its a lot of fun  :)

:spudT:

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 06:15:58 PM »
Think of some of the meets you went to where thing got a little slow

I have never been to such a meet. Quite the opposite actually. Shrug.

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 06:19:23 PM »
Think of some of the meets you went to where thing got a little slow
What meets have you been going to ???

Whilst it's an interesting idea, I did orientering at school and it bored the hell out of me. The only advantage of it was we got out of the classroom for 3 hours. I'm not sure doing it on bocks would make it any more fun *shrugs*

Dark Knight

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 07:09:03 PM »
I did orientering at school and it bored the hell out of me. The only advantage of it was we got out of the classroom for 3 hours.
A group of us went out one day and when we got back into the school the teacher had locked the changing room and no one could find the key had to go to the next class in our kit LOL

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 01:25:04 AM »
Must admit I thought the orienteering idea using clues could work but was only thinking of it as a challenge of about 60 mins max. This would include having to negotiate challenging areas such as steps, etc and different surfaces.

Also thought it could be part of a larger day or two days worth of activity.

What DK is suggesting sound like an old fashioned treasuare hunt but on bocks rather than in a car.

Grow old disgracefully

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 01:37:19 AM »
This would include having to negotiate challenging areas such as steps, etc and different surfaces.

I think thats a good idea, like walking about doesn't really appeal to me but having a quick bock around some cool places does  :thumbs: but I think thats what DK meant

:spudT:

Dark Knight

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 01:42:42 AM »
Must admit I thought the orienteering idea using clues could work but was only thinking of it as a challenge of about 60 mins max. This would include having to negotiate challenging areas such as steps, etc and different surfaces.
When I said 2 hours that maybe be longer than it would take but I was including that fact that it's a staggered start so for a group to complete it would take that long and they'd either be still at the start has teams set off or at the finish has other teams finished.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 01:46:53 AM by Dark Knight »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 10:49:52 PM »
I like it we could turn it into a treasure hunt  :banana: all round london

Or even meet up somewhere with mixed terrain get a bit of uphill grass or moor bocking that would get you fit  :biggrin:

Go for it DK I think it would add a bit of fun for the people that can only walk, run or di small tricks I mean you can only stand around watching showoffs flip for so long it gets boring after a while  :nana: :haha:

Jason  :Hoofies2: