Author Topic: File converter???  (Read 5609 times)

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
File converter???
« on: January 31, 2009, 01:14:23 AM »
Hey everyone.

Can someone please recommend a file converter. Neither MovieMaker nor Adobe Premier recognise the file type from my camera so I need to convert it. Does anyone know of a FREE download? Preferably one that you personally use and trust. I don't want to download random software only to find out it's a virus.

Thanks.

-Neo-
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
Re: File converter???
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 01:28:14 AM »
erm, what files types?

Dark Knight

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 01:32:27 AM »
Try to google the name of the camera and make and "Download". Makers own sites sometime have a direct link to downloads and updates !?
Works for me on hardware the I've no CD for.  :Cwink:

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 01:55:54 AM »
Ah right, cool. I'll try that. It's a JVC HDD (Everio maybe). Does anyone else have one?
Am I the only one who can't make it work or is this normal? Thanks for the tip DK. I'll do
now.
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 02:05:16 AM »
ur not the only one some new cameras and alot of old cameras use really weird encoding and are buggers to convert u need a universal converter that does them all even the ones u didnt no excist XD

im affraid i dnt have one hehe coz i formatted my computr have hardly anything

but as DK says just look it up shore if it one of the triky formats the company will have summat XD

hope u find it alryt :Cwink:

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline Puddster

• Meh
    • Zedge
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 02:26:31 AM »
The one I use personally is called SUPER by eRight Software.  It's freeware and does almost every major format to every major format (avi, wmv, mov, vob, mp3, mp4 etc.).  It's one heck of a resource hog, so don't expect your computer to be able to run smoothly while SUPER is doing it's thing, but for freeware, it's complete, easy to use, doesn't have ads or spyware.  After all, I've been using it safely for a couple of years now on a regular basis.

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 02:29:09 AM »
DK you glorious gladiatorial manbeast! You're a genious... or that was blatantly
obvious and I'm an idiot... but I'm leaning towards "You're a genious." ^_^

I did what you said and found something called Prism Video Converter. It took
less than 10 seconds to download (not including the time it took me to read
agreements and small print) and even less time for it to convert my files.

I've had clips on this camera for two years! Now I can finally use them! Thanks DK!

EDIT: God I love this forum! You're all so helpful and replied so quickly I missed some of your posts!

Spud - the file type was MPEG (according to the icon) or MOV (according to the writing beneath the icon).

Aidanh1 - glad I'm not the only one. ^_^

and Puddster - Thanks for the link dude. That's one of the first sites that popped up when I followed DK's advice of googling my camera make and model (plus the word converter). And that's where I downloaded Prism from. I'm glad to know you use it too so I can trust it. I was pretty anxious until it finished downloading and I tested it.

Naz - You have a fantastic site here! Full of fantastic people. ^_^ Love you!

Thanks everyone. You're brilliant, and right now I'm slightly inlove with all of you!
Now go to bed, it's late! ^_^ Night. xxx
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 02:38:39 AM by Brendan (NeoNinja) »

Offline ricky35

• Welsh Bockers
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 03:27:15 AM »
I use a freeware program called prism video converter....ihad to convert my camera videos not so long ago to enter into the proj jump competition. It converts files to wmv, asf, mpg, 3gp, mp4, mov, fvl. It'squite fast and is very easy to use.

Another one to use is the youtube downloader....the version i allows u to download files from youtube nd then convert them into other formats...so u could skip the downloading part nd just usethe converter....wokrs really well....

gd luck :Cwink:
<a href="http://www.welshbockers.co.uk/signature.swf" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.welshbockers.co.uk/signature.swf</a>

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 08:38:41 AM »
Glad you got a fix. It's odd to have problems with MOV tho. I have mov files encoded by MPEG2 and have no problems ever. Everybody else's comps seem fussier tho  :Cerr: Avi's are good files to convert to :Csmile:

:spudT:

Dark Knight

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 08:50:22 AM »
Glad you got a fix. It's odd to have problems with MOV tho. I have mov files encoded by MPEG2 and have no problems ever. Everybody else's comps seem fussier tho  :Cerr: Avi's are good files to convert to :Csmile:

Some files look almost the same and some program allow them but some can't deal with those difference and that's why some need converted even if they look the same to us ?
It's alway best to check makers website before swearing to the PC  :thumbs:

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 09:02:02 AM »
Those differences are the way they are encoded. For example DivX. His files have been encoded with MPEG2..so yes, it may be different to a normal MOV but is should be the same as another MOV encoded with MPEG. You could look at a plug in for Premier Brendan, save a lot of time if it exists.

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 10:48:11 AM »
It's a JVC HDD (Everio maybe). Does anyone else have one?

Yup, i've got the 40Gb version, not had problems with movie maker though, sometimes you have to fiddle with what it's looking for, but it seems to work for me =]

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 11:17:10 AM »
RIVAflv converter is good, allows you to convert to any format simply by changing the file extension when you go to convert - as long as you have the codecs for that format :)

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 10:02:03 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. Really appreciate it!
This forum is so helpful! ^_^