Author Topic: Pro-jump Summer-Camp?  (Read 4493 times)

Offline Kazbahn

• :D
Pro-jump Summer-Camp?
« on: February 18, 2009, 10:34:10 PM »
I just had an idea. The title says it all really.

I know i couldn't arrange this, being 14, but if anyone finds the time/resources/someone who will, how awesome would it be?

for like.... a week... in some.. place somewhere....

:D i know i'd go, almost no matter what the cost.

hehe.

- Kaz

P.S. What does everyone else think?

Offline Trixter

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Leapfrog Expert
Re: Pro-jump Summer-Camp?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 10:48:09 PM »
could be a good idea in some aspects just depends one where really and how it would work it would attract more people but there would be alot of accidents for newbies i know we all fall over but new starts would be worse so would need some major insurance

Offline Kazbahn

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 10:49:31 PM »
Major insurance, a dry, grass area, a concrete area and a gym area.

just thought, your legs would kill by the end of the week... with one week of non-stop-stilt action....

It'd be worth it though i think xD

Offline Mini Ellis

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Mini Ellis <3 Greggles
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 11:07:04 PM »
we already do...Capital Bockering Down the Bay Tommarrow 11o'clock
Yeah we all meet up in a city or somewhere and all go bocking and everyone camps and stuff lol
Mini Ellis xxx

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 11:09:51 PM »
well if having CB sometime in the summer isn't knackering enough you need to get old and decrepid like the rest of us :P

could work, but maybe just having a whole week of intense training, either in a gym, or a city would be better, less to organise

and insurance-wise, don't have it as an official event, just a series of meets in a week where everyone just happens to be camping in the same place?

Offline Trixter

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Leapfrog Expert
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 11:11:59 PM »
i think the original idea was to host an ''official'' event so that people without bocks can go and use site equipment etc if im right

Offline Kazbahn

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 11:16:13 PM »
Yeah, trixter, i'm thinking along the lines of a sort of annual event that involves renting a large multi-use venue and things. It may be a lot to organise, but all summer camps things are really...

Dark Knight

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 11:22:29 PM »
Back-to-back weekend meet is the best way to do it.
You'll get more poeple able to get to them and easier to set up than a whole week !

Offline Trixter

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Leapfrog Expert
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 11:25:12 PM »
it is a good idea its down to a company to sort it out tho really cant be like me locky carma jus random ppl unless u got loadsa monies to buy plenty of stock bocks plus then u need to afford the place sum form of payment for traineers instructers CRB checks for unda 16 yr olds risk assesments loadsa stuff

Offline Kazbahn

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 11:26:01 PM »
yeah, would be difficult as hell to organise really xD *throws idea out window

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 01:34:23 AM »
Yeah, trixter, i'm thinking along the lines of a sort of annual event that involves renting a large multi-use venue and things. It may be a lot to organise, but all summer camps things are really...
We looked at extending CB into that kind of thing this year, sadly any large venue (NEC, Cardiff Arena, etc) all cost in excess of £15,000 per day, and I know PJ don't have that kind of money to sponsor events, having spoken to Naz about it before.

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 03:36:51 AM »
Just saw this thread, I'm a bit sleepy so excuse the typos plz but here's my 2pence worth...

It’s actually a really good idea Kazbahn :) but the truth of it is there is just too much red tape in the UK to hold a decent sized event and to do it properly.  We have sponsored people in the past that have held workshops, which worked quite well with smaller groups but I can’t see this working if there was a large event with lots of newbies all trying to bock. The kind of events that the scouts hold would be a nice way to go, offering various activities including bocking for lots of people to try in an organised manner.

With regards to CB, I’ve understood Capital Bocking to be an event by bockers for bockers and during the organisation of the first event in London, it was made clear that no sponsors were needed and it was a day mainly for existing bockers to have a great day for themselves rather than an event for attracting new bockers as well...

We sponsor many individuals, groups & events for Pro-Jump and GhostBikes and it all adds up to quite a lot at the end of the year, so all this needs to be justified and beneficial to us in some way otherwise we wouldn’t be able to survive. I honestly cannot see any bocking company, in the current climate parting with £15k for an event that is attracting only existing bockers with no effort being made to bringing in new bockers that would benefit the sponsors in anyway, and that sort of money would be better used setting up 'try before you buy' gym sessions across the country.  No one has ever approached us with a viable plan for sponsorship for CB events and I’ve always been told it needs to be kept independent, something which is probably the right way to go about it.

However there is ways to raise cash for events like this without selling your souls to any bocking brand in particular, such as selling advertising at the event itself from not only bocking companies but others too, perhaps pre selling picture packs to sellers from the events, individual groups can have fundraisers, you can even sell advertising on your sites, or get revenue from google adsense, it all helps. There’s about 6 months and if all the groups do their bit I think it’s possible to cover the costs & have some left over as well. We will help where possible  :thumbs:

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 12:56:06 PM »
To give you some idea on cost you would probably be looking at £300 per person per week.

There is a lot of planning etc to be done on something of this nature but it is not impossible.

Costs can be mitigated by using a University campus. It is possible to use the sports facilities if you know the right people. For example the largets indoor sports hall in Lincolnshire is at the Uni.

My main concern would be around the time needed to organise this and also the number of people needed to run it and the experience of those people.  Historically people want to participate but not do the support stuff.

My guess is you would need 50/60 bockers minimum attending. These would not all be newbies.

Understand your position on red tape Naz but not sure that it is much more than we already have to cover for the gymfests.

Costs are the real issue particularly around insurance etc

Grow old disgracefully

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 06:36:20 PM »
and the problem with bocks and stuff
im sure amongst us we have enough spair bocks to cover it well, with the exception of the jr pairs
as ive got 3 pairs, and jason god know how many

and if it was to cost about £300 for the week, TBH that is not too bad for a weeks holiday
but it would be more like double for us who can drink :Cradar:

but i am up for it and ill help as much as i can

the other thing would be, not to be in the same place all the time, so if we could do a sort of demo tour so that we can show them off at as many places as possible. so more people try and more people buy.

and as for the advertising why not just have a few big banners that you can sell the space on for the week, that will get some money back.

Offline lynch

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 07:12:19 PM »
sound like a gr8 event idea coming on, im in scouting and know just how much efforts goes in to a big event like this if you want it fot this summer we relay dont have enough time to plan this could be something to be set up properly and for the summer of 2010
if there is any way i could help out let me know

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 07:46:48 PM »
It is an interesting idea. You would significantly increase your work load if you had multiple venues and sites.

My main suggestion woulod still to look at a Uni as they have facilities that are under utilised in the summer, this could also cover accomodation

by the way guys i did not include accomodation in the costs, the figure quoted was for a week long physical activity program run by carnegie with no accom charges
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Kazbahn

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 11:25:08 PM »
I know of a college in durham, it may not be suitable as a venue, but i go there every year for a music camp thing for a week, and you get accommodation and food (breakfast, lunch + tea) for the entire time you're there. It could give us an idea of pricings for a venue....

I'll have to inquire with them, and lynch, any help would be appreciated :D

Oh, by the way, unlike CB, this would be a paying event... but we would have proper accommodation and things.... rather than tents  :Ctwitcy:

Offline Trixter

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Leapfrog Expert
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 11:36:13 PM »
Its a good idea as i have already said but there are a few concerns with it, the sport is majorly unknown i could see there being problems with people out of the community paying to go to a camp when they could essentially just buy bocks and also with the costs of the venue food accommodation etc you will also need to find money for advertising and staff(marshalls) for the event to do coaching etc

Im not saying this to put you off id love to do this with you or at least come and volunteer to help if this became a real event so all the best with it jus poking ideas into the box from outside it keep up the good work tho  :Cnotworthy:

:Nero: Trix