Author Topic: What to buy?  (Read 2841 times)

Offline liamhenning

What to buy?
« on: March 31, 2009, 06:50:04 PM »
Hi,

Im very interested in buying some power jumping stilts (if thats the correct term)

I want to buy some that i wont get bored with easily. What can you recomend?

Thank you

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
Re: What to buy?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 06:57:14 PM »
well first thing, projump, buy them

and the next point, you will get bored with any pair as fast as each other

Offline Callum

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 07:55:42 PM »
or toddy you could say he will not get bored :D

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 07:59:47 PM »
Hey,
Welcome to the forum.

All the stilts are pretty much the same thing, design the same (ish) concept the same, fun the same. Just make sure you get the right springs, getting some too stiff will take some fun out of it. Might get frustrated and bored learning.

Are you in the UK? What is your budget?

The design isn't exactly the same, when you pay more for stilts you are often paying for more responsive springs. But..you can get the same height on all stilts. Just might take a little more effort. If you are in the UK Projumps are a really great first pair. You cant go wrong with them for that.

:spudT:

Offline Kaneda

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 09:33:17 AM »
How do you determine which springs to get? And is that the only difference between the various "sizes"

Also, what is so much better about the £600+ powerskips? I see the bindings are different, but is that all?

Another thing: What are these Pro-jump elites that I've signed up to be interested about? ;) What is better about them and how soon are they coming?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 09:41:18 AM by Kaneda »

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 03:20:13 PM »
Springs are based on weight. Rule of thumb is go to the spring above your weight, otherwise you will be bottoming out soon (Where you compress the spring all the way down so you touch the floor). So if you weigh 55kg, get the springs for 60-70kg, 62kg get springs for 70-80kg, and so on.

Powerskip differences:
Powerskips are made with Aerospace Aluminium. ProJump are made with normal Alu Alloy. This make Skips a LOT lighter.

Powerskips have fibreglass springs with the best energy return on the market. ProJump use a fibreglass/carbon fibre compound. This means that you have to push harder on ProJumps to get the same height.

Powerskip have a white/brown replaceable sole, much like a shoe sole. ProJump use a replacable black rubber sole or "hoof" that simply bolts on. The Powerskip sole offers a little more grip and is less likely to mark surfaces.

Powerskip are the original Jumping Stilts that all other designs are based on. ProJump pay the inventor of PowerSkips a royalty fee to be allowed to sell their brand.

PowerSkip are generally just higher quality, precision made and provide better bounce.

Having said all that, ProJump are still great value for money and perfect for learning on, and will last you a long time.

ProJump elites are the next generation stilts, the ones displayed on the ProJump site are discontinued and will not be sold due to mechanical/safety problems with them. They were due to go on Sale about a year and a half ago but they were pulled as FlyingLocust (The company that makes ProJump, PoweriZer, PowerStrider, FlyJumper, AirTrekkers, AirRunners, SpeedJumpers, and JollyJumpers) started selling them whilst they still had some flaws. They were known as "PowerZer UpWing" and "SpeedJumper Redoxx" elsewhere, and AirRunner still sell them in Australia, I am assuming for a backlog of stock.

The NEW ProJump Elite (I'm am unsure if they are still going by that name - hopefully naz will clear it up) are based on a new design, taking things from the Upwing design and adding/taking bits away, providing a much better quality stilt. There are some pictures on here if you take a look around :)