Author Topic: Bushing problem ? *update  (Read 9854 times)

Offline dlipford370

Bushing problem ? *update
« on: April 05, 2009, 12:05:23 AM »
So the top bushing on one of my stilts always seems to have some play.  If I tighten it up really tight it goes away, but then after a few minutes of bocking it comes back, and I can tell because it makes a slight click.  I called the air trekkers dealer and he suggested adding washers, but that didn't help.  It seems that I can still move the bolt within the bushing up and down a little bit, which causes the entire black piece that is bolted to it, that connects to  the spring to move a fraction of an inch.  I'm a strong guy, I'm sure I have it tight enough.   Is this a common problem, or is my bushing no good any more ?  I've had the bocks for about a week, and this started the day I got them.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 06:23:41 AM by dlipford370 »

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
Re: Bushing problem ?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 08:30:52 AM »
Stop tightning them. Its probably doing more harm than good. Loostning them a wee bit wouldnt be such a bad idea. Do them up tight...but not too tight.

It really sounds like its the bushings. I would call up you dealer and order some spares. Should sort the problem but unless you mod them its an ongoing thing. Bocks will click. And a small amount wont hurt them. Upon replacing them, depending on what they made of, will probs inly stay completely click free for a few hpurs.

Excuse typos, on ipod

Offline dlipford370

Re: Bushing problem ?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 01:02:14 AM »
Here's a video...

Is this movement normal ?  It's only in one of my stilts.

Offline XS

Re: Bushing problem ? *added video
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 03:23:36 AM »
either the bushing (if you're lucky) or the frame (if you're unlucky) is wearing out, the bushings are supposed to wear out and be replaced.  pull them out, look for wear, if they look pretty good, look at the frame very carefully, the hole that they fit in may be slightly out of round in which case that piece of the frame needs to be replaced or it will keep getting worse.

Offline dlipford370

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 03:35:57 AM »
well these bocks are only a week old, so I would hope that it is just the bushing!!  What's the best way to get the bushing out to examine the frame ?

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:05:54 AM »
What ever the cause that isnt right for one week old. Did they come like that? I would contact the dealer you bought them off. They should be under warrenty?

Offline dlipford370

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 08:20:55 AM »
Yeah they are.  Air-trekkers provide a one year warranty on everything, 6 months on the hoofs.  I was talking with the guy when he watched the video, and he goes, yeah that's not right...it shouldn't be too bad though, you should be ok.  I go, hey man, I just spent $400 (US) on these, I'm not about to let you just tell me something should be ok.  He didnt know if that part is replaceable, he said he'd try to get a bushing out of another one, to see what's going on....  So I'm hoping he's going to send me a replacement bushing parts....
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 12:11:30 AM by dlipford370 »

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 08:46:08 AM »
Yeah, dont let them tell you it's ok coz its really not. Make sure they get the problem solved. Keep us posted;)

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 10:54:04 AM »
and if it doesn't get fixed, araldite/strong superglue is your friend :D

Offline XS

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 02:27:29 PM »
well these bocks are only a week old, so I would hope that it is just the bushing!!  What's the best way to get the bushing out to examine the frame ?

there's a metal tube that goes through the bushings, push it out from one side then push the bushing out from the inside.

He didn't even know if that part is replaceable

who'd you buy them from? so we can avoid buying from people who know so little about bocks.

Offline dlipford370

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 06:11:56 PM »
They are the US version of the Pro-Jumps, from Air-trekkers.com

So I'm waiting to hear back from the guy from air trekkers, and I'll pop the bushing out, and make sure the frame is OK.

Offline dlipford370

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 10:06:40 PM »
aitrrekkers guy finally said they shipped the parts, so hopefully that will solve my problem.  I'm not going to examine my frame until I have replacement parts, so we'll see how that goes.

Offline dlipford370

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 08:02:48 AM »
So I'm thinking that maybe if I slid something within the gap of the bushing and the frame, it may help the problem and stop the movement.  Maybe cut out a slim piece of plastic from a pop bottle ?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 12:13:05 AM by dlipford370 »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 09:17:41 PM »
Ok Folks just a little info on why you ocasionally get this happening

The holes in the frames are punched not drilled this is to keep the price down so the likes of us can afford them

As the punch is used it gets slowly blunter which causes the hole to get bigger when it gets to a size where the bushes are getting loose they either replace or sharpen the punch and die and the hole gets smaller again

If your new bushes  spin freely in the holes in the ally frame you have been unlucky and got the one was last and got missed

Don't overly panic about it though what you have done with the plastic bottle will almost cure it all you need to do is araldite the whole lot in to make it secure I did a set on Clives old bocks and they lasted for ages

Heres the link to the bonding process

http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1271.0

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline dlipford370

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 10:58:05 PM »
Well thats shotty, when you spend as much as you do, and you have to get what I would consider a sub par item.  Maybe I can send that top part of the frame in to get replaced, if when I get the new bushings they are still lose.  I expect quality for that money!!!  :Cbiggrin:     

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 11:19:43 PM »
We only pay £135 ovr here for them so as far as I'm concerned they are good value for the money but as you seem to be paying a lot more in the States for them I can understand your feelings
Sadly I should imagine a lot of the cost is shipping as that is a big pond between you and europe

If you concider that a pair of Skips are close to £1000 now over here you can see why I think the cheaper versions are good value so if you want the perfect ones there is a company over on your side of the pond that custom makes them for you (can't remember the name Sprog will though) and last I heard they were around $3000 for the top ones

If the guy you bought them off will replace the bit for you (he may do as they are rarely that bad out of the box) all well and good but don't give up if he won't just glue the bushes in and get on with enjoying the fun
A lot of the bockers over here jump with their bushes worn so badly (due to age) you can hear them a mile away  :Claugh: and still get loads of height and enjoy themselves

Offline dlipford370

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 01:17:23 AM »
well... for sure considering the skips vs. the pro jumps I should be extactic about how much I pay!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 12:14:04 AM by dlipford370 »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
Half the fun is overcoming the little obstacals in life mate  :Claugh:
Keep us posted as to your progress (bearings and bocking)

Offline dlipford370

Re: Bushing problem ? *update
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 05:15:16 AM »
So I got my replacement bushings, and there is still the same movement within the frame/bushing.  I sent an email back to air trekkers, stating my concern, and this is what they said back:

"Honestly I would not worry.  The unit works as it’s supposed to, nothing is broken, does not prohibit functionality, and is not causing you any harm.

It’s only a tiny slippage…….on one side.    This will not warp the tough aluminum frame. You do have a one year warranty so I can always send you a different frame."

What do you guys think, should I worry about this ?  He does say "I can always send you a different frame"  hmmm, what do you guys think, I'm not a pro with pro jumps, so I'm interested in your opinion.

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 07:58:40 AM »
Tough one. The bushings havn't helped but you did fix your problem right? I guess it's up to you what you do. I think if you have sorted the problem then you don't necessarily need to have the frame replaced...but...if it is bothering you then just try and get the frame replaced and put your mind at rest, so you can just bock, and not worry :)

:spudT:

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 08:26:35 AM »
well if you have loose bushings for a long time, and do nothing about them, they'll wear out faster than they would normally, and eventually the holes in the frames can wear bigger, oh and they'll make some noise, depending on how bad the movement is of course

Offline XS

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 02:31:57 PM »
take the new frame.  Once they start to get loose they're only gonna get worse.

Offline Kazbahn

• :D
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 04:49:23 PM »
Jason, the MEGA EXPESNIVE american stilts you were talking about are the velocity motion stilts, yeah? the modded 'skips?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 08:24:34 PM »
Thats the ones Kazbahn my memory is going with old age  :Claugh:

Offline lynch

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2009, 09:11:19 PM »

A lot of the bockers over here jump with their bushes worn so badly (due to age) you can hear them a mile away 

well not you jason yours are a quite as a mouse its dangerous but a good thing :P