Forum > Setting Up & Adjusting Your Stilts

How to Change a Spring

(1/5) > >>

Jason:
Recently a few people have asked me what the easiest way to change the spring on a set of bocks so i thought it was time for a How To

The problem is changing the spring without removing the kneebar/Cuffs (as it ruins the settings if you do)

You will need either two 13mm spanners and two 10mm spanners or one of each size spanner and a small socket set with 13mm and 10mm sockets

So first undo the big bolt at the top of the hoof as shown in pic below

Jason:
This allows you to swing the whole spring back so you can access the lower nut on the top bracket without removing the Kneebar/Cuff (top pic)
Now undo the two nuts and bolts that attach the spring to the top bracket (lower pic)

Jason:
You should now be left with the spring with a hoof attached as below if you are just swapping the springs side for side (to even wear) this is as far as you need to go as if you leave the hoof on it also swaps the hoof rubbers as well and evens up the wear on them

I tend to swap my springs round every 2 months or so as we all have a dominant foot and so wear one spring more than the other I have found that swapping them makes them last longer

Jason:
If you are replacing the spring completely you now need to remove the hoof
There are two ways to do this so first I'll show the way that keeps the top bearing in place (handy if you have glued your bearings in place)

Undo the bolt throught the bottom hoof bearing (first pic)
This is where you can do it in two ways

A)--This should allow you to move the hoof away from the spring so you can get to the nuts
      that hold the lower bracket in place (Middle pic)
      (If it is to tight to do this you may need to remove the white packer at the top hoof
      bearing to loosen it)
      Now you can withdraw the spring without disturbing the bearing (lower pic)

B)--Alternatively if you don't mind removing the top hoof bearing you don't need to remove
     the bottom bracket but if you are changing the spring it will have to come off anyway

Jason:
Assemly is the reverse of the above but I will run throught it anyway

Slide the spring into the hoof section and attach the lower bracket with the two bolts, nuts and spring washers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version