Author Topic: Do You Want The Good News Or The Bad News....?  (Read 35147 times)

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
Re: Do You Want The Good News Or The Bad News....?
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2009, 02:56:13 PM »
Hang on a second there.Yes, sprog had his raptors 2 years..but were they much good after 2 years of use? I don't think so :P Sprog loved them but I am sure he will admit they were pretty knackered after that point and getting new springs was well over due. to say they will last 4 times as long is false really.

7's springs are softer. They are less likely to break. they also have a thick cover which will help prevent any damage from falling. Somebody else might be able to help with how long they stay strong for and stuff like that. But every spring wears out eventually. You can still use them (as sprog did) but it's not really the best thing to do if you want to get good height. Won't do much good for your frames either.

I am not trying to persuade you to go for either, I just don't want you to make your decision based on figures ect that are not really right. You were unlucky with your PJ springs. You could have PJ springs that last a good while too. I don't think you can buy extended spring life, just responsiveness.

:spudT:

Offline lynch

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2009, 04:58:24 PM »
wow this is getting a lot of comments but i would like to say that projumps are worth the money fair enought i have broken a set in 5/6 mounts but i fell that this was because i did not brake them in enought before i jumping off high things as pushing them to their max sprog im guessing spent a long time brakeing in his 7's that why they probs lasted so long so im brakeing in my new springs in slower so they last longer but as everyong is saying its a personal preference thing but i must admit 7's do go soft quick
 :Cbiggrin:
and as for the weight yes it is imporant to get the right weight but people dont (as for me i know i dont but like getting hever springs as i find that i get more hight quicker i weigh 58 and have 96 springs) but it is all personal preference try and fail or try and win im not saying go for one or the other as the same for weigh but it is defo a personal preference ithing

Offline Kazbahn

• :D
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2009, 09:04:31 PM »
maybe i wasn't clear... but my springs havnt gone soft... they've out-right snapped.

Hence i'm after 7s, because they may go soft, but i havnt heard of them breaking really...

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2009, 12:21:31 AM »
I would take an estimate that for every 7's sold that about 20 -30 FL stilts are sold in the UK if not more, I'm just thinking here of what we sell, and what Elron have been selling as they have a lot of resellers as well! That's the simple reason why you hear of more FL stilts problems whether spring, frame or what ever.

@ Kazbahn, you're right, these new springs just tend to go when their life time is over, unlike the old ones, which would either go in the first few uses and then go softer over time and then eventually snap or just become too slack to use. Having said that, we have now been selling these since late 2007 and we have increased the warranty from just 28days to 3months on them and have found that we have less returns on these than we originally did so Id say generally these are a lot better.

The hard thing is actually figuring out the life span of any spring as its so varied how often one person uses it from another. You can't really say mine only lasted 4 months as your 4 months usage may be another persons 8 months usage in actual hours spent on the stilts.

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2009, 08:41:21 PM »
Hang on a second there.Yes, sprog had his raptors 2 years..but were they much good after 2 years of use? I don't think so :P Sprog loved them but I am sure he will admit they were pretty knackered after that point and getting new springs was well over due. to say they will last 4 times as long is false really.
Definately, I put off getting new springs for so long as I had to balance funds being a student :(

PRO-JUMP FTW :D

everyone else can take a running jump :P
*Shuts up about 7s* :Claugh:

Offline Archy-G

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 09:51:01 PM »
does tapeing springs help last there lives?

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 10:12:46 PM »
does tapeing springs help last there lives?
Yes and no. It wont keep the springs strong or stop them tiring out or breaking naturally but taping will help prevent damage which could help them last longer depending on what kind of impacts the tape saves the spring from. It's a good idea.

:spudT:

Offline Kazbahn

• :D
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2009, 08:36:30 PM »
i had four layers of tape, bubble wrap, making tape, gaffa tape AND bike tyres on mine. It still didnt extend their natural life :P

Ah Well....