Author Topic: First pair, finally!  (Read 2935 times)

Offline psykobrat

First pair, finally!
« on: January 27, 2010, 09:08:45 AM »
Hey everyone! I just joined tonight and i'm looking to buy my first pair of stilts after watching tons of videos and reading tons of articles online. I feel really left out by not having my own pair! Now I know this has been asked time and time again, but i'd still like to check with you all first to make sure the info i've gathered sounds right. I'm looking at Poweriser Advanced and i weigh about 160lbs (about 72kg) I see a lot of people normally go one size heigher, even though it might be more difficult and take longer to break in, it should last longer before breaking the springs, i won't have to upgrade once i get used to it, and get my jumps higher without bottoming out. So would I be better off getting the 90/120 seeing as i fall into the 70/90 bracket? Thanks a lot for your help guys, I look forward to being a part of this awesome sport!

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
Re: First pair, finally!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 09:32:10 AM »
One size higher really refers to FL stilts. Go for 70/90. Powerisers are already stiff. You probably wouldnt be able to move the higher springs.

Offline psykobrat

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 10:29:24 AM »
Oh alright, sounds good. Thanks a lot. =) anything special I need to do or know when I get them before I start? Anything need to be greased or tightened up? I read they can get over tightened though.

And when you said they're already stiff, is that a bad thing? Just making sure I'm getting a good set before I place the order. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 10:33:34 AM by psykobrat »

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 10:45:10 AM »
Never used them but i think they take longer to get used to and master.. But when you do they give some great height. Just check nothing is loose, i would tape up the springs . Spraying with silicon spray will help parts last. Thats about it.

Offline psykobrat

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 11:03:49 AM »
Please don't mind my moment of stupidity, but any specific type of tape? And I'm guessing it's to protect the springs, right?

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 11:11:52 AM »
Not stupid! It is for the springs. Electrical, gaffa, gorrilla. There are loads of alternatives. Check out the mod section.

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 11:16:41 AM »
wristguards :P

Offline psykobrat

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 04:03:53 PM »
I might use the inner tube idea and wrap that in some tape. I want it to be protected really well, especially since they're my first pair, they might go through some hell at first! But I also want to give it a nice clean look.

I can't wait to go through my town jumping around on these. Nobody around here has them (atleast not that i've ever seen), i've never even seen them in person. i'm guessing i'm probably going to have a lot of people staring at me and asking what in the world i'm walking on! It's gonna be fun!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 04:08:24 PM by psykobrat »

Offline psykobrat

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 07:28:19 PM »
I found a pair on sickstilts for $339 for the advanced, also found a $30 coupon. They have a Viking pads combo (wrist, knee, elbo) for like $33. I was wonder if that sounds like a good deal, or if anybody knows of anything better. BTW i live in USA (I know that cuts out some sites)