Author Topic: Sport relief mile  (Read 21393 times)

Offline asbestospiping

• PJF Contributor
    • www.robcowie.net
Re: Sport relief mile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 04:59:17 PM »
I have been contacted by the Sport Relief Events Manager, and he has included a contact phone number, so there may be some hope yet, I'll shall have a talk with him, and see what I can do.

Offline asbestospiping

• PJF Contributor
    • www.robcowie.net
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 05:16:39 PM »
Okay, not spoken to him directly on phone, but he has given his plessing to me sharing his email for individual groups to get in touch and see if things can be arranged. So any groups wanting to take part, email Alan Pomroy <a.pomroy@comicrelief.com>

Dear Rob,

Sarah in my team passed on your query regarding the use of Powerbockers at the Mile events in March.

As I am sure she has already mentioned unfortunately, due to the health and safety considerations of all our other Milers we are unable to accept individual entries from people wishing to take part. Our ideal is to create an inclusive event where people can come along, take part in the Mile and have a great day out with their family and friends – sadly, on occasion we do have to put some limitations in place. Whenever we take these decisions we do it in conjunction with a range of stakeholders, including city councils, our event management company and our health and safety consultants and it is not taken lightly.

In previous campaigns we have arranged for organised groups of Powerbockers to take part in special Waves, starting just ahead of the main start. This has to be done on a case by case basis, and is not available at all of our events. It is however a potential opportunity for you and the wider Powerbocking community to get involved. 

If this does apply to you, and you are interested then don’t hesitate to contact me and I can put you in touch with the relevant member of my team.

Kind regards,

Alan
-----
Hello Alan, thanks for contacting me, the Jurassic Jumpers were wishing to attend the Southampton event, but their are other groups across the country who were wishing to take part in miles near them, Leeds were one I can remember. Should I pass your email over to the other groups and let them get in contact with you individually, or work with them and you to see what we can arrange?

Thanks
Rob Cowie
-----
Hi Rob,

I am happy for you to pass my details across if that is easier for you.. in the meantime I will pass your contact details onto Clare in my team, who can look after you from here. 

As an aside, I know that the organisers in Leeds are less comfortable with having Powerbocking at their event, but I am happy for us to talk to them again.

Kind regards,

Alan
-----

Offline sportsaholic07

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 06:54:39 PM »
Hi i have recieved this email from them

Hi Frances,

Thanks for your email.

Unfortunately, due to the health and safety considerations of all our other Milers, we are unable to accept individual entries from people wishing to take part on Powerbockers. However, if you are a part of an organised club/group it may be that we can arrange a special Wave at one of our Flagship events just for your group. Please contact us via the information line for more details. The number is 0300 123 5070.

Kind regards

Sounds like there is abit of hope!!

Sarah-Claire Swift

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
Unfortunately, due to the health and safety considerations of all our other Milers

so it's considerations by the other runners? i'm sure they'd love to have bockers

complete bo*****s if you ask me, but then again no-one is  :Claugh:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 08:19:51 PM »
Does sound a little better but means we have to be in an organised group (not a problem unless your alone in an area)

I'll ask you DG  :Claugh:

Bio the Hanworth Banned are behind you If you organise something in the next year or so in london I'm sure you will get a lot of bockers
Also get your friends along they sound like the sort of people who will become bockers
You can always do 2 circuits if a mile is to short  :Claugh:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline sportsaholic07

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2010, 08:39:58 PM »
Im thinking im one of few that are in the norwich area...quote me wrong please?

so i doubt we can get a group together in this area!

can a group be 2 people?? lol

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2010, 09:52:42 PM »
sportsaholic   ok ill  correct u    there r a few more than 1 other bocker...Spud should have the details

mmm thung we can get a group 4 southampton

mmm my emails to um r failing
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 10:06:21 PM by Bbmthbloke »

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2010, 09:49:16 AM »
Excuse my hungover typing on ipod in berlin...

I actually dont know what tge score is with norwich. There are a few of us around and the EA's should be there but i dont know if they will actually run the mile because we were asked to do some entertaining before hand i think.

Tgats what i know. Are you in norwich then sportsaholic? Hope i got the name right lol

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2010, 03:27:02 PM »
Well that kinda caps it .... Bockers asked to entertain as well!!!!! but not compete

R they still gonna do it Spud?

Offline sportsaholic07

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2010, 06:35:53 PM »
Well norwich is the nearest one to me!.... i live in  near lowestoft but yer norwich is closest. Im would like to have go training with the EA bockers so can learn some cool stuff but sounds like theres not much happening at the moment??

Offline asbestospiping

• PJF Contributor
    • www.robcowie.net
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2010, 08:37:20 PM »
The JJ's are going to be doing the Southampton mile (assuming the BBC are able to sort something out so we can start). Is any one else wishing to join us, if so, reply here, or pm me, and state how far you wanted to go, 1,3, or 6 mile. Me and q are going to go for 3 mile.

Offline rawrk

• Rofl'd her copter.
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2010, 12:59:25 AM »
I could do it with you guys if you don't mind :]
take what you love.
burn it down.

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2010, 06:05:32 AM »
erm  OK   hehe

Offline bgirlmandy

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2010, 06:36:28 PM »
so r we doing the run now , i can can dwn to southampton n 3 miles is gd 4 me x

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2010, 07:48:04 PM »
its a case , as far as i can tell, of local negotiation   but only at 'flagship' bbc  run locations....far from satisfactory  but..

but yes its on in southampton and u r most welcome

i will talk to southampton people and see if they can advice on free, close, parking and nearer the time and once numbers are sorted, see if we can have a 'greeter' at the railway station

Offline Samarka

• In my livingroom!
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2010, 05:24:42 AM »
I've been refused use of mine at the mile my own work is hosting, 74 people are doing it, and me on Bocks, most of them are colleagues who know to stay the hell away from my newborn Bambi attempts at walking and running on my stilts. Yet not only have sport relief said no, but my works health and safety have said no.

Spoil sports.

Got bocks, backfleep or broken face sometime in the future.....

Offline rawrk

• Rofl'd her copter.
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2010, 02:19:24 PM »
Okay, so if I was to do this, what do I do? :P
I take it I'd take a train to southampton and then wander around looking sad because I've lost you guys? :P
Is there a concrete plan for this?
take what you love.
burn it down.

Offline asbestospiping

• PJF Contributor
    • www.robcowie.net
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2010, 03:02:01 PM »
We have not had information back from the BBC about the final details, but we should be doing it, as soon as they let us know, I'll let every one know here.

If you want to take part, you need to signup on the sport relief page, and at the end of the signup process, click the join team button, search for jurassic jumpers, and you will officially be part of our group for the BBC. Then we shall post details closer to the time of where to meet in Southampton.

Offline rawrk

• Rofl'd her copter.
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2010, 03:40:28 PM »
Signed up and stuff :]
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 04:08:36 PM by rawrk »
take what you love.
burn it down.

Offline asbestospiping

• PJF Contributor
    • www.robcowie.net
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2010, 06:26:16 PM »
Its on, BBC Have emailed me, I need to know if you are coming, so I can get back to them, I assume a wave is 1-3-6 mile, but I am confirming that as well. More to follow soon.

Hi Rob

I hope you are well and having a good week?

I’m currently organizing the Southampton Sport Relief Mile so please accept my apologies that it has taken me so long to get back to you.

Having spoken to the council, we are happy for you guys to  take part in the event. If you could all join the same wave and let me know which wave you are taking part in then we can ensure that you are moved to the start of the wave (for health and safety reasons!). How many Bockers do you expect there to be?

Does this sound ok to you?

If you have any problems or questions at all please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Thank you again for your patience.

All the best

Claree

Clare Forknell

Flagship Events Co-ordinator

Right, all of us need to decide on what wave we are taking part in: 1 Miles go at 12 or 12.30, 3 Mile runs begin at 12 and the 6 Mile run begins at 11am.
We all have to do the same wave, I'd like to suggest 3 miles, a good distance, easily doable for every one. Speakup if you want to suggest another, i'll be confirming the wave on monday 1st at 1500 gmt.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:13:32 PM by asbestospiping »

Offline Jammyjames165

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
Can i ask if it is do-able for people who have are still learning?

-James
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:22:15 PM by Jammyjames165 »

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2010, 07:40:17 PM »
Can i ask if it is do-able for people who have are still learning?

-James

i suspect you can, indeed you may

un answer would b 'yeah'     come on down
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 08:01:43 PM by Bbmthbloke »

Offline Jammyjames165

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2010, 08:05:35 PM »
AHA! win!!! i shall *try* to be there =D  :Cbiggrin: :Cbiggrin:

Offline asbestospiping

• PJF Contributor
    • www.robcowie.net
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2010, 08:08:09 PM »
3 Miles is possible, even for first timers, its less than we walk on most meets (checked my gps logs!) but long enough that you will know you have done it! And dont forget people, you must join the jurassic jumpers team on the sport relief page, else you wont be able to join us on bocks!

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2010, 08:27:28 PM »
You're running 3 miles?