Author Topic: Getting the buzz going!  (Read 4555 times)

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
Getting the buzz going!
« on: October 18, 2010, 11:54:20 AM »
I've noticed that the forums going a bit dead recently, is there anything we at Pro-Jump can do to liven things up a little?  I know its generally not only this forum but the bocking scene in general?

Offline carlgreen

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for backFLEEP!
Re: Getting the buzz going!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 12:50:25 PM »
i cannot speak for everyone here but i can explain why the EAs have been quiet and that just due to every1 get tin older and working lots or college. It not that we don't like bocking anymore in fact when we all went to the Lincoln gym we loved it same as always and we don't want to give up but needs must and bocking is hard to fit in around work etc.

So as for your question Naz i don't think there's much that can be done i just think people have other things on there mind, its not that there giving up.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 01:04:21 PM »
I thought it as much, I check the forum daily but dont get a chance to join in as much as I would like. How about getting some pics & vids up from the meet if you get a chance!

Offline Chrishead

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 01:50:36 PM »
I agree getting the time to go on stilts is a pain now days but i think if there were more sponsored events on holiday weeks which more of us can attend then it would be more like it was before. I've not exactly been around for a long time but i had fun at the larger Lincoln events which im hoping will happen again since it brought bockers from all around to it.
For Sale: Paracute, Used once, Never opened, Small stain.

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 06:25:04 PM »
This is completly opposite for our group, we are so busy and are always having meets!!!
But I think the reason it has gone dead recently is the lack of stilts being sold... Pro-Jump have little stock and 7League are out of UK now, so had become a little dry :S

Also the fact that big events are being messed up... I mean just look at CB, it just didn't happen, it was huge in 2007 because when you look at the posts everyone wanted to organise it, now no one cares :S
DC

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 07:03:27 PM »
I have a theory as to why Bocking has been quiet this year

I personally have had about three colds this year and all of them have left me listless and tired for weeks after

I also know several other people at work and around my social circle that have had the same

This would lead to small meets and lack of enthusiasm hence the lack of things going on

Lets hope that the bugs go away this winter

My other excuse is I have had to repair/rebuild 2 cars this year so time has been short (used 3 weeks holiday on them  :Ccry: )

Think the release of the EXO's will help a lot as everyone likes something new and they make me a better bocker so they should make some of you lot awesome  :Claugh:

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline Birt

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 07:22:09 PM »
i'm thinking about taking my bocks on tour (i'm a theatre tech touring europe at the moment) with me but that means that when i'm at home for a couple of days i don't have them to go out bocking with my friends because they would still be in the trailer going from one place to another :p

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 07:53:32 PM »
I think its what is termed ' the perfect storm'

A number of complementry events, movements and trends have combined.

a/ When  the sport was  1st growing and there were a few people widely scattered over the country and the forum got people together and served as a virtual social meeting place. As groups sprang up some created their own forums. Logical and a sign of strength in the sport. But tookaway a great deal of the life. And also the coordination and connections.

b/ Componded by the likes of Facebook. It is easier to keep intouch with local friends and the far flung ones , in many ways, there...where it also combines and fits in with the rest of ones life.As an example I spent an hour on there this evening chatting away trying to diagnose some1s problem with a still and a date for them and 1 or 2 others to come down to a portsmouth gym meet This again means that noobs coming on here see v little life and little of events that r happening all over the place. Also on FB 1 doesnt need to resize pictures!! grrr :Cbiggrin:

It also has had a knock on affect with the JJ forum, The JJ's themselves have been v quiet over the summer ( whole variety of reasons some of which r only just comming to light-- eg a family breakup ( and 4 used to be regulars) ). Tho things seem to be piking up OK now, fingers crossed. Dispite posting events there, often here and sending out regular newsletters. Im still being txt'd and asked on fb 'whens the next meet Q'!!! There hasnt been the 'buzz' about haloween that there was in the past, but there is every reason to think the event will be as big, if not bigger than last years.

To a great extent this is somethin 1 has to except  and adapt to if possible.

c/ Carl Green in a post a month or 2 back stated that he didnt come on here much becuase there wasnt much serious descussion. Indeed a fair comment  But there has been a train of thought that this type of forum just isnt the place to dicuss 'big issues'. So this is where it gets to serious 'diagreement' ( possibly). However imperfect this forum is still the best place for central discussion and disemination of infomation about the sport.  The sport is just too small  to fragment and I really think that when a ball starts to roll and ideas jump about, and virtual fists fly   then best ideas and events  are created.

So posting about events ( with a pix or vid after ) will be a reasonable and not too taxing start.   The person I was chatting to on fb lives well over 100 miles away and came to a meet last winter only cos the JJ's were posting here. They are as close , if not closer to  several other groups.  Even if few if any extra peeps go to any1 meet, it will be a small service to the sport.

That may create a momentum and Id say is worth trying.

d/ Big events, and indeed medium sized ones. Lets starting think of 1 or 2 for next year and seriously plan together. Earlier this year Locky suggested a sports event. Nowrt happened, not Id say because the idea was  a bad 1. But timing plays a part, people now know of the French event and of the possibilities and if any1 has seen the comments by Katie and Paul ( to say nothing of the French themselves), again on fb, then they know how fired up these people r.

So as a 'winter project'maybe? If this post gets a positive responce. Naz, possibly set up a new board, with general sports chat, track & field, Artistic, fun and organisation/admin.  See from the posts there what is or is not popular and gradularly build an event round that input.  But wth maximum oppertunity for participation, with the possibility of any final tieing up  and professionalizing things going on in private, by the people who have been most enthusiastic and knowledgable.

Ill also keep banging on about the idea of 'regional' meets. It is a reality of most 'national' sports that competitors/enthusiasts dont travel the length of the country but travel a limited distance from their home area. That is a reality we should except.  SO EA's went to the Lincolnshire gym meet, its prob a bit too far for me for a day trip :Cyes:. But a meet in say Reading could get me motoring up, its also not too far for the EA's to head south or some of the EPW to travel west. The JJ's and RR's have tentatively started having 'midway meets' in Sidmouth, numbers have not been stella ( and as im driving, neither has been the beer), but the meets go on, they r fun and are hopefully a solid base 4 the future.  A giraffe.

A week or so ago Nero suggested that historically things do go a bit flat about now. He is correct. Many of u are staarting new academic years. Possibly new institutions and moving away from home. This creates many academic ( this includes me this year and ive set aside myphotography theory homework to write all this) and if chocl8's fb pix are typical, non academic distractions ( do you know Tims actually shaving now!  Yep lil Timmy :Claugh:). Add in the first cold blast of wind and the stilts can be pushed to 1side. But it may also mask  a real shift in the way the forum is used, or not used.

So to sum up, I think there are structural changes in social network, driven by facebook, that means this forum will not be the same as it was in the past. To counter that, it needs to change. Ive offered my suggestions, I hope they are of some help and comfort or atleast stimulate more debate  AND ACTION.

Thse things have been on my mind for a lil while ( so thanks Naz for giving the oppertunity to air them) buthave been written down rather as they come to me, so Im sorry if its jumbled a bit and I may have stuff in my head Ive missed and may add later.

PS ooo yep just thought another thing that keeps the forum lively is a new group.  Be it the JJ's way back on PP.com. The EAs here, more latterly the TV bockers. But gradually these groups deveelop their own , more direct means of communication. So basically, if 1 sees the potential for a new group forming ( sussex maybe, the north west and few more peeps in Belfast as possible examples) do all to encourage. This is also where medium range/inter club meets should be encouraged, cos I think this still has the edge as a place to discuss and organise...and inspire!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 08:16:11 PM by Bbmthbloke »

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 08:14:47 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys, something definitely needs to be done, I'm going to try and get some of these ideas progressing into something real.

Keep them coming please!

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 08:16:52 PM »
Have a big event again!!!!!!!!!
I have seen pictures of the pro jump gymfest or whatever it was called, and it looks amazing!!!
DC

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 08:36:27 PM »
Just a thought Naz

How about a regular online on forum treasure hunt with something as a prize for the winner (wouldn't have to be big just fun)

Could be the sort of thing that you have to log on each day to get clues and find certain things that are already on the forum

Would take some thought as to what the clues could be and where to hide them and not be to bock technical to give all a chance to win

Would get people on the forum

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 10:08:44 PM »
I've only just got around to replying to this thread. I'm not going to suggest what carl and Q says isn't true but I do think over the years, the buzz in the community has usually been caused by several key people who's initial enthusiasm is quickly spread to others and there is a definate lack of that recently.

As for travelling vs local meets...I disagree with that. I enjoy bocking with the rest of the welsh bockers but I would honestly say that travelling 400 miles in a day to go to portsmouth every other month like we did in the early days or to the lincoln gymfests or even if it was just me and jono driving to bradford every 3 weeks. These were fairly long distances to travel just to go bocking but they were also some of my happiest memories since I started bocking.

A bit of nostalgia for you....but we don't see meets like this anymore. Look how many people are there....look at the different levels they are at and how everyone is pushing themselves.

Offline billymaya

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 12:03:54 AM »
i must admit when i first joinged up was kinda expecting a warm welcome i posted an introduction and read the faq before putting up any questions up but didnt get a huge amount of feed back from it which i gotta say did put me off alot which makes me think other new members would be put off to they might add one post see the lack of replies and think well i shant bother then, i got the impression that the forum was a bit clicky and you had to be part of the in crowd other wise you wouldnt get a shout, in fact i can only think of a small handful of people that have replied on any of my posts on here and also the pp forum the only person i would say was welcoming and helped me out with different info and help was dark knight so a big thanks to him for getting me started on the right road  :Cyes:

i certainly think that some more of the members on this forum need to be a bit more welcoming towards newbies as without fresh blood numbers will get smaller and things will go a bit pear shaped,

i love the sport (even thought im no expert yet  :Claugh:) and i plan get out on me stilts as much as i possibly can to improve my skills just hate these dark early nights at the mo as once i finish work its to dark to get on the stilts

ive recently been in touch with the riser raptors down in plymouth on their face book page and they have been really friendly and me and my son are planning on going along to one of their meets soon as they look like a good bunch of people so a big thumbs up to them also :)

Offline Trip

• EA Bocker
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 09:07:34 AM »
Saw this thread and thought I would write my own novel just like everyone else! I'm Bocking today for the first time in a few months as I've got a rare day off, looking forward to it even now I'm 42. I do have an opinion regarding this and it's kind of looking at it from a different angle.

Projump is now the only serious retailer of Bocks in the UK, I know Poweriser is here but they don't really have a lot to do with pushing the sport... Now the controversial bit, this is a sport that could so easily have taken off 3 years ago with a massive buzz going on. I lay the problem firmly at the feet of the original inventor, never in the history of new products has so many great selling opportunities been turned down. In there quest to protect their invention they have succeeded in cutting off their nose to spite their face, if I was Alan Sugar I'd be saying your fired! A lot of the early buzz in this sport was created by the Zuric advert on TV, then a group of enthusiastic sellers willing to invest and promote the product in the UK, most of these found it difficult or near impossible to deal with the over protective inventor, so they simply lost interest.

This isn't a dig at Pro Jump as I think your number 1 as a retailer in the UK of stilts but you can't do everything, it's impossible for one company to do it all. You need more competition, different approaches, fresh ideas etc etc. I'll shut up now anyway LOL  :Cwink:

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 10:34:28 AM »
@ Trip, pleasure to see you on here as always! You know what I sorta agree with you, lets just say there's more "politics" in selling this product than at Westminster, and its really off putting. I think we have simply survived due to our customer service, word of mouth and pricing structure. We have a few strategies this year which may help push the sport forward some of it relies on key groups wanting to make the sport more prominent.

@ Billymaya - I'm sorry you felt that you weren't welcomed, the forum has seen a bit of a decline in recent months as has the other forum, however we do try and make pjf more of a family orientated friendly feeling and I think if all of us pull together we can achieve that once more.

@ Locky & DC - The Lincoln Gym events were organised by Charlie B with financial backing from Pro-Jump. The first one was a success however the following few declined in numbers and could have gone a little bit better. Pro-Jump are always happy sponsor events like this, but it needs someone to come to us with a good plan for us to back it.

Offline Chrishead

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 11:12:43 AM »
All thats needed is a venue thats a decent size and is located in the middle of everyone so its accessible. I for one am willing to check some gyms out and see if we could in fact have a large meet there, however i would need help organizing it etc. I can look around places in Nottingham mainly since as far as im aware theres some decent sized gyms and its the place i know best.
For Sale: Paracute, Used once, Never opened, Small stain.

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 06:23:04 PM »
The place I see to be the most accessible is Birmingham area, with most M roads leading to it. Although if we are planning this, I think it should be around Easter next year providing location is 100% sorted

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 07:24:40 PM »
Hi billymaya

Sorry you feel you received a cold reception when you started we like to be friendly on here and most people find us so

Would you explain something to me though

Your profile says that you first registered here on this date September 28, 2010, 04:54:06 PM only a short while ago

As DK has been banned from this forum for being unable to follow the rules and various other problems (Including being not very nice to a few members) for a long while before you joined us how did he give you a friendly welcome on here

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 07:32:57 PM »
Hmmm... Hopefully you will be put with us soon Billy :)
And Jason I think he means DK on PP :S
DC

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 07:39:25 PM »
Yep Jason, he means DK on PP, we shall blame the misreading on the wax treatment you recently had :P

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 07:49:45 PM »
Arr got it now welcome to the forum billymaya

Hope you have fun bocking  :Cbiggrin:

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 10:23:10 PM »
well my little bit

i do come on here nearly every day. but i was ment to have been retired as the ibz origniser. but it looks like with out me non gets sorted.
there was a few reasons why i stopped. and he main one was losing my job, and having loads of fun trying to find another. and i have got one at the mo, but i am noway happy there.

now as to the gym. i think we should sort one out in the london area, since that is best for all of us to get to.
and other than that. i would surgest trying to do a public tryal day. so then you would have some fun with us(a few hours befor and afterwards) and then we can try and get more people interested in it.
and as for advertising it im sure i can get bbc radio kent to help over here. and i would think if we tryed we could get alot of radio and maybe tv and papers involved to help.
but for that you would need pli etc to cover us completly

and if needed i would be happy to try and orgnise this if naz is interested with it
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 10:24:53 PM by toddy »

Offline billymaya

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 09:06:40 AM »
good morning guys thanks for the hellos :) dont get me wrong the forum is great in many ways and have learnt alot from all the different info on here which has only encouraged me to keep at it :) it was just the whole welcoming situ thought id point it out so that in future things can be inproved for the newbies :)

only a suggestion but is there any way that a thanks button could be added at the bottom of each post that you could click on if the member reading it thought that the post was interesting or helpful they have it on my competition forum loquax and it works quite well because sometimes when people dont fell they have the time or the nrg to reply to a post but enjoyed reading it clicking on the thanks button lets the person who wrote it know that it was apprechiated (and no i cant spell that word lol) seems to bring people together on loquax just an idea :)

hi jason nice to meet you :) yeah i was talking about dark knight on the poweriser pages sorry wasnt aware of any trouble on here just going by his help and advise on pro jump stilts that he gave me when first joining up thats mainly why i brought myself a pair of pro jumps upgrading from my skyrunners that and the info on here :)

yep dark castles shall be popping along to one of your gym meets soon look forward to it :) thinking about trying to organise something up our way if you guys would be interested at some point as theres plenty of places to bock and me and the mrs can provide refreshments if needed gotta large double garage with plenty of tools also if anything goes wrong with the stilts will have to have a think about it :)