Author Topic: Mum wont let me get some...HELP  (Read 7858 times)

Offline noob

Mum wont let me get some...HELP
« on: November 03, 2010, 05:55:21 PM »
i am now 13 and i have wanted a pair of PJ's for nearly 2 years now and 2 years ago my mum saaid i could have some when im older, but now she's saying they're too dangerous.

I know they're dangerous im not trying to deny that, but can you post some stats and stuff that will help me convince her to let me get a pair as i am not old enough to order then myself on the internet.

BTW, i also mountain bike (downhill and dirt jump) and skateboard so i am used to quite dangerous sports and my mum and dad let me do that so i dont know why they wont let me do this.

Many thanks
Gus
Noob
 :PJL: :PJR:      :Cfrown:
Noob
i am wat it says on the tin

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
Re: Mum wont let me get some...HELP
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 05:59:53 PM »
Ask your parents what their key concerns are, let them come on to the forum so they can ask questions and perhaps come with you to a meet that's happening locally to you so they can see for themselves what the sport is like.

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 06:03:47 PM »
I am defiantly not them best to say this, especially in my current condition. Yet I still think the stilts are not dangerous, they are good fun and well worth it. As long as you take care and think about what you are doing you will be fine :)
DC

Offline noob

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 06:05:29 PM »
thanks i will try that, and i think they're main concern is my health. i have agreed to wear a helmet, wrist guards and knee guards.
this is quite annoying because i dont live near any bocking groups i live in the south west of england (around bath), so most of this sort of thing is not available to me, but i will try getting my parents on here.

thanks
Gus
Noob
Noob

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 06:11:41 PM »
I am South West as well :P and I know 2 Bockers in Bath :)
DC

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 06:22:49 PM »
Oh dear his parents probably saw you in action...

Offline noob

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 06:48:26 PM »
haha......well my mum is still in denile about this, which is annoying and she says she's not going to change her mine. so i might just have to wait till im 16 and i can order them myself  :Ccry:
she seams to think i'll go out and try a front flip straight away, even though i've told her i wont (she worrys too much)

thanks anyway guys
Gus
Noob
Noob

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 06:52:51 PM »
Hehe you make me sound like an accident waiting to happen :P I learnt my lesson, don't backflip and land on your spine onto concrete :S
DC

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 08:10:43 PM »
Well I got my 1st pair of stilts 4 years ago next month  Im not good but I have fun.  I also used to mountain bike alot.  Indeed I took up the stilts cos I saw them in a magazine artical a few days after my mountain bike was stolen and I was desiding wot, if anything , to replace it with.

I gotta say, risk wise, its reasonable to compare projumps  with semi serious mountain biking.  Every now and again u fall off but just scream about un make a big fuss....then ask if any1 got it on vid :Cbiggrin:   But occasionally a fall hurts.

In 4 years ive had cuts and bruises ( less than my mountain biking experiences).  OK I have seen some1 ( who forgot to wear the pads he 'always' wear , he does , he just 4got um that day) fall and brake his arm.  SO thats honest and objective. Ive met and bounced with oo maybe 200 different peeps for thousands of hours. Ive seen moans un screams , a lil bit of blood....but most was acting up. But yes ive seen 1 person fall and brake an arm.....but it was a charity run, he finished the last mile on foot with arm in a sling....and was back on his pj's 6 weeks later!

Ive also white water canoed and surfed. I gotta say bocking IS an extreme sport.....but an extemeLY SILLY sport. I kinda think the danger gets blown up to 'sell the sport'

Un yep I know 1 person in Bath too ( but prob 'doubling up' and he is 1 of DC's 2).

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 08:51:14 PM »
Save your pennies and buy your Mum a pair for christmas and them look really sad if she dosen't use them (after all it is christmas)  :Claugh:

Seriously though it's a shame you arn't near to us as Clive has a daughter about your age and we have a few young members that your parents could see and chat to

Most people when they see me on them think that it can't be hard or dangerous (or a fat old unfit man couldn't do it)

Try and get them to go to a meet as they will be facinated and may realise that we have very few accidents (a lot less than mountain bikeing and not as serious )

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline noob

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 11:31:58 PM »
thanks for all of your input and stuff. i think she might be swaying slightly, jason, i will try to find a meet near me so i can show my mum.
she keeps on saying  :Crealmad: wat if you try a front flip or a backflip and land on your head or your back, i've even promised i wont do any flips.

thanks guys
Gus
Noob
Noob

Offline spawnyb

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 11:48:58 PM »
Hi noob,

Sorry for the late reply, only just seen your post. Hope you're well.

Don't know if I'm one of the peeps that Q and DC are refering too, but I live close to Bath.  Midsomer Norton if you know it.

A friend who lives near me has two kids who both use stilts.  His daughter is about 10, and his son only 8 I think, so both very young starters, and they have a friend local too who is 14. He can juggle whilst on stilts, and also uses a unicycle (not that it helps you much). He he

I'm sure if you (and your Mum were interested), I could set something up for you to come along and met them and see what they do.  Maybe good to see someone of a similar age or younger. 

Bit of a contrast to me.  I'm 44. lol

Cheers

Graham

Hmmmmmmm........Why did I buy these again?!?!?!?

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 10:35:29 AM »
Ummm... this is not to put you off, I recently did a backlfip and landed onto my spine and was in hospital for a while on the stilts, however it was completely my fault, I didn't have anyone near me helping me or anything, and that is why it hurt. as long as you have friends and other stilters you will be fine :)

Offline noob

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 04:41:39 PM »
hi again

i know where midsummer norton is but its the other side of bath i live in a small village quite far away from bath actually, but thanks anyway, i will show my mum all of this and hope for the best  :Csmile:

wish me luck
Gus
Noob
Noob

Offline ThePain

• Hi!
    • Dan's Computer Services
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 05:18:29 PM »
hey noob :D

i've just ordered my first pair after around two/three years of begging (im 15)

unfortunately im not near you, im in birmingham,

but try a deal with your parents like mine: dad has said that im allowed them as long as i do all my coursework and get good grades; simple ;)

its always worth a try  :Cyes:

Good Luck!

ThePain
(Dan)

Offline noob

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 05:29:41 PM »
haha....... same as me then but a bit older, :Cbiggrin: i think my dad has convinced my mum a bit and know she says maybe :Csmile:
only thing is....at the moment i have a bad right knee( my mum thinks i might have torn cartiledge) and am getting an MRI scan next friday in cheltnam. so i wont be able to get them for a while, but ow well thats life i guess :Cwink:

thanks
Noob
Noob

Offline ThePain

• Hi!
    • Dan's Computer Services
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 06:56:26 PM »
haha sounds like your on your way to getting them soon then  :Cwink: *Fingers crossed for you ;)*

i have a bad ancle from holding onto the handrail of an escualtor (dangling over the side), going to the top, and then letting go, falling onto a concrete floor  :Cconfused:

silly me  :Cno: (dont try it, it hurts ;) )

Goodluck!

ThePain
(Dan)

Offline noob

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 07:22:59 PM »
lol i remember not to try that  :Csmile: the annoying thing is i dont know how long it will be till i can do this sort of stuff  :Ccry: haha

Thanks
noob
Noob

Offline Hammy

• Voted RR's Group Clown
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 06:29:55 PM »
sounds like you've been having some trouble convinsing your parents (and DC your probably not helping).

I've had these stilts since bout january-febuary time and have had a few falls only 1 or 2 bad. I've found that you have fun on them and seem to just learn new tricks as they come because you build confidence and then try the trick. The stilts look dangereous but in the hands (or on the feet) of a user with a brain stem they are fairly safe to use.

!(Don't get me wrong the stilts can cause injury and are not the safest of sporting equipment by a long shot)!

But they are safer than they look put it that way.

Hope this helps

Hammy

Offline noob

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 09:49:41 PM »
cool thanks hammy  :Csmile: love the name an the character  :Cbiggrin:

ill show my mum and dad that, im getting my MRI scan on my knee tommorow (wish me luck) and my mum says i can probs get some when my knee is better.

noob
Noob

Offline EvilLordLoki

• Voted Most Gutsy RR
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 09:59:01 PM »
I've recently damaged my knee on a space hopper!
But i haven't done any damage to myself whilst on stilts!
i have fallen over a several times, with only a few minor bumps and bruises

I Believe In Bockism

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 10:06:19 PM »
If it helps, it just aint gonna get easier, im 46  and my mums still a bit 'iffy'....strangly didnt have a prob with white water canoeing  or surfing  ( and ive surfed 12 ' waves) or mountain biking in the past......and I consider this nothing in comparrision

Offline noob

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 10:11:59 PM »
yeh i've told my parents that, but i dont think they believs me  :Cconfused:
my mum thinks my cartelage is torn a bit so i might need keyhole surgery  :Ccry: and the worst thing is i hate needles and stuff :Cfrown:

noob
Noob

Offline Hammy

• Voted RR's Group Clown
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 11:56:34 AM »
well good luck with your knee and getting stilts.

and dont worry bout the surgery you'll probably be out cold. !FUN!

Good luck with everything

Hammy

Offline noob

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 10:02:26 PM »
Thanks I had it today I had lie completely still for like 20 minutes
I'll get the results in 2 weeks

Noob
Noob