Forum > Beginners Board

Checks after a fall

(1/3) > >>

Jinxed:
Hi again, only me.

So some of you probs know that i had my first fall the other day. Thankfully my pads took most of the damage although my stilts didn't escape unscathed either. Anyway i was wondering what sort of safety or maintenance checks (i assume there must be some) i should do after a fall. Slightly annoyed that the foam around my knee bars has been scuffed and slightly torn, but also noticed that there are some chips/scuffs on the springs themselves. Is that normal, can they take a bit of a beating before they have to be replaced?

Anyway hoping to be back on them tomorrow, so i don't let the experience wimp me out, much in the same way you have to get back on a motorbike when you fall off.

Davido:
They are surprisingly hardy, but you'd be better off wrapping them in case you do snap a pair and they aren't covered under the warranty as a result.

There's loads of tutorials on wrapping your springs on here, have a look :)

But for checks, just make sure everything is still tight and there's nothing bent. The stilts can take some pretty good knocks so chances are you'll be fine!

Jinxed:
Thanks for that Dav. I read the tutorial about protecting the springs and it said that some people use 3-5 layers of duct tape, is that right? Because that certainly sounds the easiest method to me.

Molk958:
Without any doubt do protect the springs, they are hardy, but why put them through a beating if you don't have to.

I use the 'Bike Type Inner Tube' method (http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?page=Tape) which works PERFECTLY with no cost really at all (go to Halfords and ask for some busted inner tubes for free) and takes little/medium time (although once you have done the hard bit, moving the rubber to a new set of springs is very fast if you want to up your weight class in the future)

Davido:
As Molk said, the inner tube method is very effective and cheap.

Wrap one tube around each spring then wrap with 2-3 layers of duct tape. They can pretty much stand up to anything once you've done that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version