Author Topic: How do people get such height??  (Read 21754 times)

Offline l7ttledevil

• Would u like to stroke my tash?
How do people get such height??
« on: August 11, 2006, 05:04:37 PM »
Hey guys

Only been powerising for a day (my birthday was the 10th so adjust for however long this thread remains) am already walking confidently, running somewhat shakily and trying little tiny jumps.

But at the minute i just cant see how people manage to get such big jumps?

Anyone got any tips for me when i get more confident please?

Any general tips to this cool sport would be appreciated please as i'm still totally new.

Cheers

Ben

Offline Terrydaktol

• Keep on Running
    • www.woodhousebrothers.co.uk
Re: How do people get such height??
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 07:17:56 PM »
Hi ben
 Ive only had mine for a few weeks, and i was the same.
Now i can jump quite high (ish) and run pretty confidently.
The more you practice the muscles in your legs get stronger and balance get's better.
I was running in them the other day when my knee's banged together. I stayed up without falling.
If i'd done that in the first week i would have went arse over tit. :P

How do people get that high ?  ???
Be an ex international gymnast like Tobster. Thats gotta help.

Offline l7ttledevil

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 08:27:09 PM »
lol yeah i'm at the stage where i sort of am very weary of clattering my legs together and ending up on my face, it hasnt quite become instictual yet but on the plus side i picked it up quicker than riding a unicycle, and received less scars lol.

Yeah being an ex gymnast of any level has got to help but especially such a high level one.

Thanks for the reply :).

Ben

Offline Tobster.rm

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 10:26:48 AM »
Guys it's really all about confidence. like everything start low and get a bit higher as you feel you have mastered the balance in landing at the height you are. The harder you push the higher you go! but be careful, I have had a few close shaves. I've had mine for 9 days. Think I'm going to try and run into town on them today.

Good luck!!!

Offline l7ttledevil

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 08:48:44 AM »
yeah i noticed that as i got more confident jumping and especially landing on them that my jumps were becoming that little bit more high.

I still get knackered so quickly so don't think i'll be running to school on them just yet lol.

Ben

*edit* well the jumps are now getting a bit higher but it was really hot so couldn't stay practising for long :( i'm sure i'll get there though :).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 03:46:23 PM by l7ttledevil »

Offline dave1234

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 04:41:52 PM »
heres a little tip for you !

do what i did i have only had mine for 3 days now and i started off holding onto a fance and letting go occisionaly that got me thinking hmm i can balance so then i just let go :)

Offline l7ttledevil

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 10:21:55 PM »
Crikey i go away for a few days (don't worry was at the girlfriends not hospitalised or anything serious like that lol) and the forum starts filling up like there's no tomorrow :O.

Thanks for the reply Dave, i'm slowly but surely getting there although occasionally i still feel slightly insecure about going too far forwards and landing on my face rather than my rubber pads :(.

I'll keep trying though as that's the only way to get better.

Cheers

Ben

Offline Spanks

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 10:22:36 PM »
Hey-

I went out this evening - tried to run, and apparently it was more of a fast bouncing walk! Wobbled a few times, tried jumping, to be nosey looking over peops fences as I headed home - confidence is the Key!
M

Offline Lukey

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 11:45:20 AM »
When learning to jump firstly make sure you're padded up.

Secondly, best to bounce with a pole infront of you for stability. This allows u to concentrate your efforts in the bounce rather than balance.

Once you've worked out "the physics" of jumping, release the pole.

Try not to lean forward too much (else you'll bail on landing), upright as much as possible.

To gain height, SLAM from your heels down as you land.

WARNING: Dont slam too hard else you'll bottom out, you'll know about it if you do!

Offline stevie

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 06:29:27 PM »
iv helped 2 people to flip over, and they both say jump atraight up from your bounce off hard heal and relax into it, we practice on grass which also softens the jump so when on hard surface its not as much effort its great fun going to the shops and jumping across the road as drivers look in amazement, BUT never go alone you may need assistance at some point.  Stevie.

Offline arthur

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 05:07:07 PM »
i hope the fact that i used to do gymnastics helps me when im going around on them (when i get them )

check out http://www.swebounce.com/ for some great videos of  Mattias Lindström and more great info.... go check t out now !!!

Offline arthur

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 02:17:26 PM »
Hi,

Do the junior PJ's go reasonably high?
also do you think that its possible to summersault with the junior ones?

check out http://www.swebounce.com/ for some great videos of  Mattias Lindström and more great info.... go check t out now !!!

Offline Lukey

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 10:03:36 PM »
i hope the fact that i used to do gymnastics helps me when im going around on them (when i get them )

Warning - you cant do "air-moves" with Risers, its hips & take off methodology, just having your arms in the air will not move you as you would on a trampoline.

Re: Somersault on Juniors, well provided you get enough air and can rotate fast enough yes of course - but easy does it.

And for goodness sake 2 things
1) Film it
2) Wear protection

Cheers!

Offline arthur

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 03:45:27 PM »
i will try remember what you have said and also hopefully i will start at a trampoline club soon to help me learn a bit of technique and also to senhance the strangth of my legs when i use the projumps.
P.S i will try film my flips (when/ if i learn to do them on the PJ'S)

Thanks again.

Arthur

Offline Terrydaktol

• Keep on Running
    • www.woodhousebrothers.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 08:03:11 PM »
I like it.

(1) film it...   first   protection second  lol

Offline Lukey

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 09:18:34 AM »
i will try remember what you have said and also hopefully i will start at a trampoline club soon to help me learn a bit of technique

Ah ha! First thing I did on a trampoline was jump using my heels - no, doesnt work and sends you well off course! Its a whole new jumping technique but I always keep in the back of mind "now if I were on my PRs doing this....".

Looking forward to the video/s!!

Offline freakazoid

• Elite Member
  • ( a insane person laughing is always contageous..)
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 09:16:57 PM »
jumping on a trampoline is easier than on pj they are both in a world of there own

i find tht if i tie 2 bags of sugar around each ankle it sort of mimicks the pj...also do this out of site of anybody cos ppl probably think wtf why is he wearing sugarbags on his feet
Excue me while i try to nibble on my own ear

Offline Frumpet

• www.MySpace.com/TotalVoid
    • Total Void's MySpace
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007, 03:23:49 AM »
I've found that you can achieve pretty good height if you just put a lot of effort in with your legs. The real trick seems to be actually jumping at the same time! It may sound silly, but for a while I was relying entirely on the springs, now what I do is put lots of effort in to the push, and jump really high too, I can get pretty awesome height now!! It was a turning point for me when I started actually jumping at the same time...! Hope that sorta helps explain to people how to get a bit more height.
Dom
"Alcoholism isn't an illness, it's a disease. Well, not a disease, more like an illness." - Paul Gascoigne

Offline jumpin jak

• Flippy!
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2007, 01:03:51 PM »
i got my pj's last nite and now i can condifidently walk around my house without holding on but its tipping dwn in happy hampshire! its rele fustrating coz im desperate to run and jump cnt think of anywhere covered to go.
jack

Offline oafc_bouncer

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 04:13:51 PM »
when you go on them for longer you will break them in although you probz know that by now
oafc til i die.

Offline x_Rave_Dave_x

• www.myspace.com/dave_5674
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 09:31:17 PM »
jumping on a trampoline is easier than on pj they are both in a world of there own

i find tht if i tie 2 bags of sugar around each ankle it sort of mimicks the pj...also do this out of site of anybody cos ppl probably think wtf why is he wearing sugarbags on his feet

your posts always make me laugh XD
great humor :)

Offline t r o c

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007, 01:05:57 PM »
if i tried that the sugar bags would probly split. so it would cover my trampoline in sugary goodness

Offline x_Rave_Dave_x

• www.myspace.com/dave_5674
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2007, 04:41:04 PM »
fall over with your tounge out? lol

Offline t r o c

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 04:52:35 PM »
mmmmmmmmm sugar....

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2007, 04:53:33 PM »
wot a joy  , scroll back 5ish posts and you get jack saying he is just able to walk about. But the pix shows him flipping :o)

Best hight is best techinque/posture and dont think about hieght, ie stop looking at the ground.

I was bocking with Jack yesterday, now he gets serious feet. So I tried to mimic what he did  it worked --i got higher. But also managed to bottom out my left stilt 3 times. This means if I get better  im gonna have to spend money! :'( And i only got these stilts a month ago).