Author Topic: bearing bushes for real bearings  (Read 13823 times)

Dark Knight

Re: bearing bushes for real bearings
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2007, 01:50:26 AM »
I'm going to make one or two joints like that it's just what they need !?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 01:33:40 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline gillybert

• still alive, up to the neck !!!
    • Gillybert,s Youtube Channel
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2007, 08:28:21 AM »
Hey Dk,

Let us know how the joints go if you epoxy them in, I haven't got round to epoxying in KBs brass bushes yet, but will over xmas  :)

The plastic epoxyed bushes on my PJs have now seen around 20 hours of use and the ball bearing joints about 22 hours.  They are all still rattle free, but very smooth still.  8)

GB...

Offline ade

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2007, 07:58:58 PM »
i`m new to this site so here goes, it`s good to see the art of bodging and re-engineering is alive and well, i used D U bushes they are teflon coated split collars the same dimensions as the origonal plastic so they press in nice as long as the holes in the frames havent been elongated due to excessive wear ,and turned up some tube spacers to bridge the inside so the bolt has something to crush down on.i have seen on earlier pj`s brass or "fozzy"bronze bushes and spacers,(cut backs??)
 i like your idea of  roller bearings i would probably have done it for my self but i have mates who all had the same prob of wobbly joints so it`s a good quick and cheap option with no machining involved,i got 60hrs of running and jumping like an idiot before i replaced them, compared to 6 to 10 with the plastic ones ,

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2007, 09:27:19 PM »
Hi ade

I replaced mine with Phospher Bronze and machined up silver steel tubes see here

http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=826.0

Works well but I am intrigued by yours I have not heard of D U bushes so three questions

Are they freely available, where do I get some and how much are they

Offline gillybert

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2007, 09:36:15 PM »
This isn't to helpful, but I've seen on the web somewhere a powerbock supplier selling split, ptfe coated bushes.

Can't remember which make they were, but I'm looking again. Will post if I find the site  :-[

GB...

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2007, 12:38:16 PM »
Yep Gilly they are available but expensive one or the 7 sellers in the spares bit not sure which one though

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2007, 02:46:20 PM »
7's do these glide bearing but they are £8.95 for 2 or £24.00 for 6

Offline gillybert

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2007, 06:04:13 PM »
Cheers Naz, Thats the one's I saw :)

They're expensive  :'(

GB...

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2007, 06:51:40 PM »
I agree they are dear gillybert

But when you factor in the fact that I was quoted £24 +p&p for enought Ph Bronze to make a set and a half then you take machining into consideration (I know that they roll these ones but you still have to set the machine up) and the fact that they are a very limited size run it seems a bit more reasonable

What would be ideal is if we could find a pressed or rolled bearing that is used commercially and is mass produced then we could be paying as little as 50p each but so far I can't find anything suitable but the ones ade mentioned sound hopeful so when he replies we may have a long term answer