Author Topic: Too many categories!  (Read 10023 times)

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
Too many categories!
« on: October 24, 2006, 07:42:12 PM »
Hi,

I think the whole forum has too many categories. I can see they might have their uses later on when the forum has hundreds of members but at the moment it just makes it unnessecarily harder to navigate. I suggest having just 2 or 3 categories and those areas that need their own little home (such as videos and pics) should be sub-forums of the Main one. Some of the users on here are not familiar with how forums work so keeping it as simple as possible is essential. Already we have people posting similar things in the 'General Chat' and the 'Pro Jump Chat'. I guess General Chat is for off-topic chatter, which again could just be a sub-forum, especially since its not even relevant to pro-jumping.

Whats the point of a blog forum when there is no obvious need for a pro-jump blog? If we all kept blogs there would be no need to talk on the forum. The same applies to "where to buy". Does it really need its own category? Just make it a sticky announcement so it appears at the top of all categories or something.

Just a thought  ;D

Matt

Offline Lukey

Re: Too many categories!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 10:42:09 PM »
I found forums are a great learning curve. You filter out the threads that dont interest you. I'm alright with it, younger members may struggle but they'll learn soon enough - kids are brighter than people give them credit for!

Offline arthur

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 04:12:18 PM »
im a kid and i dont have any problems with getting around the forum .
 :D

check out http://www.swebounce.com/ for some great videos of  Mattias Lindström and more great info.... go check t out now !!!

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 04:53:22 PM »
I wasn't even referring to the kids. Kids take to new things very well.
It's adults who are new to forums that might take a little getting used to.

I just dont see the point in having all the different categories when they could really be more centrallised and all under 3 categories and I think it would help the forum grow in popularity too. That's all!

Offline Athoul

• PJF Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 11:26:09 AM »
The whole point about having lots of categories is so that if you want find something and people post it in the right section, its so much easier than scrolling through several page trying to find what you want.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 05:52:54 PM »
I agree with you, but the way this forum is designed by the creators of simplemachinesforum is that you have different boards for different areas. A collection of boards are then categorised into categories but here there is no point in the different categories.
For example, the category for blogs only has one board in it which renders the category useless. Same applies for the Where to buy category, though I can understand the site owners wanting to highlight this area.
Its a trivial matter, but realistically there is only the need for 2 or 3 categories here not the 7 that we have.

The only reason I suggested this was if things are a tighter community then it well help things grow while the forum is still in its first few months. I suspect many people might look at category names and not bother browsing them based entirely on their name, where as if these were part of one category, they might.

Offline danpne

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 02:52:21 PM »
I agree with Lukey on this one

Offline danpne

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 02:59:14 PM »
Although In the future, I may look into removing some of the sub categiories that rarely/never get posted in.