Author Topic: Types of Tyre Socks, History & How to!  (Read 40930 times)

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
Types of Tyre Socks, History & How to!
« on: November 10, 2007, 10:00:53 PM »
TYRE SOCK: What are they?
The tyre sock is a cover made for the rubber sole of your jumping stilt foot. This “sock” is usually made from bike / car tyre which is cut to fit and then secured with jubilee clips and / or tape.
The picture above shows KiyaBob & gillybert in action with their Pro-Jumps which have been modded with tyre socks! (Please click picture to enlarge)

TYRE SOCK: The inventor, History and why they were created:
The Tyre sock was invented by a Powerbocker Bill Cicio in Early 2006 when he realised the rubber sole on Powerbocks are likely to wear down and replacement feet would become expensive. His invention will definitely be added in Powerbocking history as one of the most useful, easy to accomplish and innovative modifications.

With time the tyre sock has evolved with PinHead69 creating the first “Tie up tyre sock” and Jason creating the world’s first quick release "hoofies" and "studdies"

TYRE SOCK: How to make your own tyre sock:

Materials needed
1 bike tyre, 2 x 3” Jubilee clips & Duct tape.

Tools needed
Stanley knife, wire cutters, pliers, flat-head screwdriver

Step by Step guide

Credit to Bill C (Inventor) for Pictures / Write up. See HERE for original article. Also take a look at www.Powerbockresources.com for more great tips from Bill C.

STEP 1 (Picture 1)
Buy a child's bicycle tyre (size 12-1/2 x 2-1/2) – these can be brought in England from any bike shop.   

STEP 2 (Picture 2)
Using a pointed knife (Like a Stanley or X-acto knife), puncture the tyre rubber and cut the tyre into two halves.   
Note: The tyre rims contain a steel wire which you will not be able to cut through using the knife.

STEP 3: (Picture 3)
Using wire snips, cut the steel wire in the tyre rims to separate the tyre halves.   You will wind up with two pieces of tyre, each approximately 21 inches long.

STEP4: (Picture 4)
Take a tyre half and fold it over the front of the footpad.  Mark where the tyre hits the front of the footpad and pinch the rim wires so the tyre becomes shaped like a clamshell.  Then, open the 3" metal band clamp and place it around the metal foot arm, above the tyre sock.

STEP 5: (Picture 5)
Slide the metal band down over the tyre sock to a position just above the original rubber footpad.  You can use a screwdriver to pry the band over the tyre treads.

STEP 6: (Picture 6)
Push the bend in the tyre tightly up against the front of the rubber footpad.   Tighten the band clamp with either a flat-head screwdriver or 8mm rachet wrench.

Repeat steps 4 through 6 for second PowerBock.

* Some people attach Duct tape to secure the tyre sock on.

ALTERNATIVE METHOD: (Picture 7)

An alternate way to apply the tyresocks is to fold the wire rim of the tyre inward before wrapping the tyre over the foot pad.  This method may make it a little more difficult to pull the tyresock tight before clamping, but it provides a more finished look for your footpads.  Covering the metal clamp with black tape completes the look.

***UPDATED METHOD BY BILL C***
Quote from: Bill C
I have actually modified my tiresocks further now.  I have cut off the wire rim so that the tire width is equal to the hoof width.  The tire is stretched tightly over the hoof and clamped in place as before.  Removing the wire rim allows the tiresock to have better contact against the hoof - but it also allows the tiresock to slide side to side.  So to avoid any lateral slippage of the tiresock, I tack the tiresock to both the front vertical face and rear-most part of the hoof with two short flat-headed nails in both locations.  (I had tried using a staple but it didn't work.)  The small nails into the rubber hoof work great to keep the tiresock in place.  Kind of like shoeing a horse.

That's it you have made your tyre socks!
Credit to Bill C (Inventor) for Pictures / Write up. See HERE for original article. Also take a look at www.Powerbockresources.com for more great tips from Bill C.

Other types of Tyre Sock

*** PinHead69's Tie Up Tyre Sock ***
PinHead69 created the world's first Tie Up Tyre sock. (See Picture Below)

PinHead69 developed on Bill C's original ideal and created a sock which could be removed more easily.
Click HERE to see a tutorial on how to make your own tie up socks.

*** Jason's Quick Release "Hoofies" and "Studdies" ***
Inspired by PinHead69's "Tie Up" tyresock Jason created another style of sock, using a DIFFERENT material to bike tyres. The material used is long lasting, grips better and can be used on various surfaces. He developed his original idea of Hoofies and later created "Studdies" which incorporate studs into the design and are ideal to use on grass. Jason now sells the material as well as a whole kit to make your own "Hoofies" and "Studdies"

HOOFIES

Click HERE to buy material used to make "Hoofies".

Click HERE to buy "Hoofies".
Click HERE for "Hoofies" fitting instructions

HOOFIES MK2
Jason has modified his original idea to work with the new bolt-on feet that the latest versions of pro-jumps come with...

Click HERE to buy  "Hoofies MK2" and fitting instructions.

STUDDIES

Click HERE to buy "Studdies".

Ricc later modified Jason’s hoofie design, using normal tyre material. Ricc called his version the “Quick-Sox” and later developed his design to incorporate a cleated version to use on grass which is calls “Grip-Sox”

Alternative by Bbmthbloke - The trainer Sock!
In early 2007, Q (Bbmthbloke) discovered an alternative way to get grip and reduce wear on your rubber sole. The idea was accidently stumbled upon by Q who originally thought he got a good deal on e-bay  £6 for converse hi tops. Turned out they were kids size 11!

But when he started to make conventional tyre sox, cutting thru tyre, he broke the blade, which went spinning past his head, so he thought, sod that! And tried the trainers, more in hope than expectation.

But he found the canvas stretched and really gripped the hoof OK. Since then he has tried adult trainers, but found then horribly 'squidgy'. The thin kiddy converse one is right, needs to be hi top or slip off.

Here's a picture of Q's "Trainer Sock"

Discussion Topics on tyre socks
Below are threads where the Tyre Sock has been discussed previously by members:
1. http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=789.0
2. http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=601.0
3. http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1102.0
4. http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2024
5.http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3069

If you have any additional questions, or if we have missed anything just let us know here ;)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 08:58:43 AM by webmaster »

Offline WM

Re: Types of Tyre Socks, History & How to!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 06:53:48 PM »
Good read that, nice to see the history and inventor behind a mod
Thanks  ;)

Offline PINHEAD69

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 07:17:51 PM »
thats actually pretty cool....
i like it.... you can see how one idea
bounces to another... good stuff....
now all we need is girlies in bra and panties
to model them all INIT :-)

LOOK HERE BELOW
http://www.pinheadstraps.co.uk/
tHe BrUmMie BoUnCeRs

(TIP)
never fece yourself wearing a g-string
it makes chip shapes

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 08:35:51 PM »
Feel free andy, I'm sure you would look quite fetching in some  :o

Dark Knight

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 08:56:05 PM »
***UPDATED METHOD BY BILL C***Quote from: Bill C
I have actually modified my tiresocks further now.  I have cut off the wire rim so that the tire width is equal to the hoof width.  The tire is stretched tightly over the hoof and clamped in place as before.  Removing the wire rim allows the tiresock to have better contact against the hoof - but it also allows the tiresock to slide side to side.  So to avoid any lateral slippage of the tiresock, I tack the tiresock to both the front vertical face and rear-most part of the hoof with two short flat-headed nails in both locations.  (I had tried using a staple but it didn't work.)  The small nails into the rubber hoof work great to keep the tiresock in place.  Kind of like shoeing a horse.

I did try a nail in the hoof but thinking about it every time you replace the rubber and put a new nail in you put a hole in the rubber. And also because your nailing into rubber it still moves and doesn't really help has the tyre can roll over the side of the rubber hoof and being nailed could even get it stuck there and make hard to push back in place !?

Offline BDeyes

• woot!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 08:32:07 AM »
does anyone have any tips on how to cut up and attach a car tyre, we have the tyre but only have a limited knoweledge on what to do with it ??? thanks

BD
team concussion

Dark Knight

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 09:07:28 AM »
does anyone have any tips on how to cut up and attach a car tyre, we have the tyre but only have a limited knoweledge on what to do with it ??? thanks

BD
It can be done, but most use bike tyres.
Car tyres are a lot harder to cut a jig-saw maybe able to cut through them I recall someone using a circular grider.
If you can cut it you'll find it a lot harder to fold and hoof in the same way as bike tyres.
If your hoof are the type with the rubber mounted on a metal plate and not bonded to the hoof itself then you could fix it drilling holes and using bolts.

It much earier to use bike tyres ( there cheap ), Jason makes 'HOOFIES' which maybe worth a look at too  :)

Offline Ghosti

• Sup
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 02:17:06 PM »
Ye ive tryed that and found that bike tyres are the cheapest and best. helps you go on grass and dirt better and can be changed if it gets worn out or to muddy.

Offline heather3

• getting better
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 08:07:32 PM »
Just added the tyre sock to my PJ's using the info provided. WELL DONE folks was great for concise instructions. My PJ's are looking good :banana:

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 07:31:46 PM »
Updated to include Hoofies MK 2  :)

Offline PowerJoe

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 08:41:10 PM »
great topic, thankyou :thumbs:

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 08:44:15 PM »
Somebody was bored when they made that  :biggrin:

An idea.. used tires form light aircraft. By used they could be pretty new. Or bursted but they are softer than car tires I bet.

They are 100's of them at the airfeld
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 08:48:01 PM by Spud »

Dark Knight

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 08:50:52 PM »

An idea.. used tires form light aircraft. By used they could be pretty new. Or bursted but they are softer than car tires I bet.

You'll have to grab one. I've go a cutter  ;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 11:35:28 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 09:20:27 PM »
Thanks Naz

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 11:31:44 PM »
V2 Hoofies rock....Get some. :thumbs:

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 12:04:23 PM »

You'll have to grab one. I've go a cutter  ;)

I will get one for you DK. I am sure they have something at the airfeild I could cut it up with. Or a person that could do it for me  :laugh: I duno but I think its worth experimenting with

Offline xavhorse

7 League Hoofie/Studdie Variant
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 10:54:59 PM »
I've successfully managed to adapt Jason's excellent hoofie/studdie design for use of 7 League Boots.  Went out on the prototype "Hoofie" tonight, with no hitches.  I'll be testing the "Studdies" this weekend so I'll be reporting back on their success soon.  I'd like to thank Jason for supplying the invaluable Rubber Matting at a reasonable price and for his input in helping me adapt his design.  I'm not sure if there's any variation amongst the 7 League Stable, I own a pair or S-Rex Type R's so these "Hoofies" are designed for that model.

There's a couple of minor differences between these and Jason's original design, which are;

1:  I used 16 Aluminium rugby studs with a 5mm bolt.
2:  I haven't used washers, dished or otherwise to fix in the studs.
3:  The securing cargo strap doesn't double back and wrap more than once.
4:  The front end securing cargo strap is 10mm.
5:  The front end bolts are slightly shorter Allen Key bolts.

Most of the differences are down to what I had available to work with at the time, I'll let you know how they affect performance as and when.

7 League Hoofie/Studdie Pattern Template 1:1 Scale
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b346/xavhorse/7leaguestuddietemplate.jpg

Hoofie Photos
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b346/xavhorse/14-08-08_2159.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b346/xavhorse/14-08-08_2200.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b346/xavhorse/14-08-08_2156.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b346/xavhorse/14-08-08_2157.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b346/xavhorse/14-08-08_2158.jpg

Studdie Photos
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b346/xavhorse/14-08-08_2204.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b346/xavhorse/14-08-08_2205.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b346/xavhorse/14-08-08_2206.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b346/xavhorse/14-08-08_2207.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b346/xavhorse/14-08-08_2208.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b346/xavhorse/14-08-08_2209.jpg

(Please excuse the blurriness of some of the shots, they're from my camera phone)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 01:04:37 AM by xavhorse »

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 12:31:49 AM »
oo am lazy and cudnt be arsed reading it all but WELL DONE NAZ it looks really good and is very easy and intresting to read

did u mention that u have to take the metal out of the tyre coz it wont bend very well if u dont  :biggrin:

if u did metion this then ignore me and sorry  :thumbs:

dont start shoutin at me now for being stupid and lazy if she emtioned takin the metal wiring out

(was extreamly hyper and i fink sumone spiked my drink when wrote this) :biggrin: :nana:

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 10:01:13 PM »
Aidanh1 you lazy so and so  :D

and thanks xavhorse for your post  :thumbs:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 10:04:13 PM »
Well done Xavhorse

They look good a couple of things to help you along

You have threaded the back strap from the inside if you thread it the other way it will give you a better fit and stop any side slip at the back also it holds on more of the material and is stronger (have a look at my Hoofies how to you'll see what I mean)

On my first sets of Studdies I used small washers on the back of the studs and they pulled through and I lost the studs I now use 1" washers on the back and haven't lost any since so you might want to put something behind those nuts (I dish my washers with a home made hammer and anvil to make it easier)

Last one is that I used ally rugby studs on a set of studdies (due to them being much cheeper) and the thredded stud pulled out of the ally stud while I was tightening a couple and when I used them on rough ground all of them pulled off hopefully your studs are made of better stuff and this won't happen  :thumbs:

The football studs have a metal domed stud that goes right through the middle so it can't pull off (also you can pull them out and trim the plastic to give a bit more thread length for the washers

Nice to see a fellow inventor at work mate keep it up

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline britishjord

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 02:01:50 AM »
those straps look quite tempti ng ( checks wallet ) .. doh! :banghead:

Offline xavhorse

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2008, 11:57:14 PM »
Cheers Jason, that's sound advice. 8 )

First run, I lost 7 out of 16 studs due to lack of washers!  Managed to find all but one but didn't bring the washers along with me so I ended up taking off the studs and testing out how effective the hoofie was.  Answer: Very!  Was bounding around in a wet field with no grip issues and aside from perhaps a little tweaking to secure the toes more (they came off when trying to get up from the ground), everything went smoothly.
The washers I do have are 20mm diam but 1.5mm thick, as such I'm struggling to fix a nut to the bolt with the clearance I have after it's through the matting.  Nothing a trip to Wickes won't cure though.

Offline Schoie

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2008, 05:59:14 PM »
Hey people,
                I need some advice on tyre socks?  ??? I was just wondering whats best to go for, deep or shallow tread? Is there any make of tyre I should avoid cause they fall to pieces etc? Any help would be appriecated as I'm awful at making decisions. (Apart from buying PJ's that was an easy one!!) :thumbs:
Some People Think I'm Bonkers...
But I Just Think I'm Free...
Man I'm Just Living My Live...
There's Nothing Crazy About Me...

Offline ausmike

• Are there ANY!!! bockers in Melb aust? im so alone
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2009, 10:39:44 AM »
If im making a pair of basic tire socks with a bike tyre and hose clamps (Jubilee clips)
Are the ankels of the hoof thicker or thinner on the pro jumps use in the very first example than poweriser's?

Im on PR 7090's  just wondering if the 3" clamps are to big/small?
Are there any bockers in Melbourne Austalia? hello...!

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2009, 12:00:46 PM »
The first example is on a set of PoweriSers so you should be ok with them