Author Topic: Just got my jumping stilts!  (Read 4590 times)

Offline JJags32MJD

Just got my jumping stilts!
« on: December 28, 2007, 06:44:31 PM »
Alright yesterday my stilts came in, Im trying to teach myself to walk right now with a stick. But I cant seem to get up sitting down like from a couch or chair, I have to turn myself around and stand up backwards. And I cant really seem to get a balance. Also when I start going, I start to fall forward, and eventually fall. :-[

So any tips?

Thank you, JJags32MJD
I am American.
I cant wait to get some bocks!

Dark Knight

Re: Just got my jumping stilts!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 06:57:49 PM »
I did think of using a stick but you'll find that it doesn't take long to walk as the stick doesn't really help !?
I your new then sitting on a low ( for a bocker ) it will be hard to get up just as would getting off the floor.
Most Bockers would find something a little higher, like the back of the chair out side wheelie bin make a great seat ( I think everyone had a picture sat on one  :D ).
Has for falling forward ... this maybe because your looking down at your feet, keep your head up. You don't look at your feet when walking !? At first you'll be looking where your hoofs are but in time they just become part of you and like walking you'll just know where the what there doing  :)

Offline carlgreen

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for backFLEEP!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 06:58:54 PM »
use a friend to hold your hands whislt you walk and in no time u will b going unaided easily

as for gettin up from the sofa use something a bit higher as a sofa is a bit too low i have tried using a sofa and i couldnt do it i no how hard it is but it all takes practise and im sure ian posted a vid on how to get up from a fall maybe thats worth a look

(Naz insert Vid here)

good luck m8

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 07:05:57 PM »
There's three vids on how to get up

Have a look here m8 http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?action=gallery;cat=12

It takes time so if you can't do it straightaway dont worry :)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 09:06:30 PM »
I have noticed that gillybert seems to have perfected a way of teaching his family and friends to ballance

Every time I see anyone he has started on stilts they seem to jog from foot to foot like a step airobics class it seems to help with ballance and you can move about standing still is virtually impossible you have to keep moving your feet

I found that I was falling forward and getting faster when I first started easy to cure stand up straight I was leaning forward someone watching me told me not to and suddenly no more running away

I also learnt with a long stick and found that it was very easy 5mins and away but stoping was another matter  ;D

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 09:31:10 PM »
Dont worry too much about getting up  ( its not too important at the moment) . Whilst the walking moving stuff is. Another trick Gillybert hit on was playing 'catch'  Get a friend to throw a ball to you and throw it str8 back ( I guess you could do it alone -boncing off a wall). This does 2 things a/ makes you look 'up' rather than down at your feet. This makes you more 'upright' so more stable. B/ It also takes your mind away from the stilts  and you automatically start working them . Jst as you now automatically walk withot thinking, that is pretty much how you should be aiming for on bocks.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 11:14:22 AM »
I'd forgotten that one Q it does work well
Maybe we should make gillybert official site trainer Naz he does seem to have some good ideas

Offline Sx Nutta

• Elite Member
  • No Brains Required
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 02:31:26 PM »
I tend to practice balance using poi and staff, while on my bocks, the weight of spinning teaches you how to center the body correctly to achieve the most out of balance, and to keep looking ahead and upwards at the same time!  :laugh:

Fire is good!
But Fire is better when you are spinning or breathing it!
Burn Scars are for life!
Chicks dig dudes with cool burn scars!

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 05:46:09 PM »
Maybe we should make gillybert official site trainer Naz he does seem to have some good ideas

Yeah I think I should, I think I'll also add the ball catching vid to the starting up vid section as well as its a great method to learn balancing  :)

Offline Carma

• Elite Member
  • As Seen On TV - The Bocking Rocker
    • Carma Pet Portraits
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 06:08:37 PM »

Yeah I think I should, I think I'll also add the ball catching vid to the starting up vid section as well as its a great method to learn balancing  :)

I might get a vid of me doing Diabolo :D

-Carma (The Bocking Rocker)