Author Topic: A few questions from a pensive prospective purchaser  (Read 4681 times)

Offline mroz

A few questions from a pensive prospective purchaser
« on: November 08, 2006, 03:16:32 PM »
Two days ago I was looking through a gadget type catalogue & saw PJs for the first time - you can guess my reaction - I've got to have some of those :)

I'm 37, 16st 6lb (104.5Kg) & 6'1" (1.86m), so my BMI is 30. I'm also pretty unfit atm.

My first question concerns which model to go for. Comparing the range of Pro Jumpers to Powerisers, the PRs give a weight range:

MODEL      KGs / POUNDS / STONES
M60 (Adult)      55-65 / 121-143 / 9-10.5
M70 (Adult)      65-75 / 143-165 / 10.5-12
M80 (Adult)      75-85 / 165-187 / 12-13.5
M90 (Adult)      85-95 / 187-209 / 13.5-15
M100 (Adult)     95-105 / 209-231 / 15-16.5
M110 (Adult)     105-115 / 231-254 / 16.5-18.0

Whereas PJs give a single weight for each variant:

60 Kg
70 Kg
... (in 10Kg steps)
120Kg

AIUI These come from the same factory, so how do they compare? Is the PJ weight the average value for their weight range? That is, do a pair of 110Kg PJs equate to M110 PRs?

Also, how come the PJs come in 7 weight ranges, wheras the PRs only cover 6?

What would be the most suitable pair for myself? I understand one should always round up, so that suggests the 110Kg springs, but I've also read on this forum others suggesting the model beyond that, so would 110Kg or 120Kg be best?

I assume the weight that matters is when kitted out ready to use the PJs. Normally when I quote my weight it's after removal of shoes, clothes, body piercings, toupee, fallse teeth, glass eye, pacemaker & all reason... Dressed I'm around 108Kg.

Second question: Did I mention I'm not fit? I can run for a bus & usually catch it, but I'm normally back off the bus before I've got my breath back. Am I going to be able, with perseverance, to use a pair of PJs? I'm sort of hoping they'll be fun enough to keep me trying & that I might actually get fit in the process.

That also connects to the weight question - if my fitness improves, I'd expect to lose anything from 6 to 18 Kgs over time, based on past history & my ideal weight. Would a broken in pair of 110Kg or 120Kg springs be still usable by me then? This isn't too important as knowing me, I won't lose the weight & worst case I know another pair of springs can be had for about 60ukp. Well worth paying for any gain in fitness.

Concerning safety gear, I was going to be stupid & wait until experience taught me better, but I figure I will pick up the Anvil Pro Tripack as mentioned elsewhere in this forum as it seems well recommended & is a fair price. Anyone got links to some PJ accident videos to help persuade me that is the right thing to do?

A few other minor points, mostly about Pro Jump & this forum:

The regular competition used to give out prizes to the best photo/video, iirc - has this changed recently? This morning I read a subject line stating the awards are random. And lastly...

Anyone have a COUPON CODE they can share with me? A mutual five pound saving would be nice, especially as my wife thinks I'm totally crazy & willl only ever try on the PJs once. My defence is to point out her collection of now unused fencing equipment :)
Michael

Offline dragon

Re: A few questions from a pensive prospective purchaser
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 03:40:51 PM »
hi mate

im 31 & 10 stones ive got the 80 kg its always best to over do the weight abit i would go for m110

if you pr me i can give you a code for discount

ps im not that fit but im gradualy biulding up to it 
i can now walk and run for 2 miles in 2 weeks (its more walking than running)

im also a woss so i have all the straps and pads they can make there are a few people that have come unstuck on here

shaun :) hope this helps
please sponsor me www.walkforlife.co.uk/dragon please sponsor me www.walkforlife.co.uk/dragon please sponsor me www.walkforlife.co.uk/dragon please sponsor me www.walkforlife.co.uk/dragon please sponsor me www.walkforlife.co.uk/dragon please sponsor

Offline mroz

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 04:12:14 PM »
im 31 & 10 stones ive got the 80 kg its always best to over do the weight abit i would go for m110

Blimey - that's a quick response :)
80Kg - that's 20Kg over your weight. If that works well for you, would I not be better with the 120Kg springs then?

if you pr me i can give you a code for discount

Thanks a lot :)

ps im not that fit but im gradualy biulding up to it 
i can now walk and run for 2 miles in 2 weeks (its more walking than running)

Hell, even I can manage 2 miles in under an hour ;) Seriously though, thanks for the encouragement & advice. Much appreciated.

im also a woss so i have all the straps and pads they can make there are a few people that have come unstuck on here
shaun :) hope this helps

Sure does, cheers.
Michael

Offline dragon

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 04:19:33 PM »
go a couple of sizes bigger for you

give them a phone call at pro jump and they will help you

im not wossing out but the weigh about 10 kg (that about 2 & 1/2 bags of sugar around each ankle)   

just build up to it half an hour a day to start of because you use different muscles

day3 takes most people by suppise  :)
please sponsor me www.walkforlife.co.uk/dragon please sponsor me www.walkforlife.co.uk/dragon please sponsor me www.walkforlife.co.uk/dragon please sponsor me www.walkforlife.co.uk/dragon please sponsor me www.walkforlife.co.uk/dragon please sponsor

Offline mroz

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 01:31:51 AM »
I gave Pro Jump a call (iow UK Good Deals Ltd). They seemed to think 110Kg would be fine, so that's now on order :)

I tried ordering the safety gear from http://ridethehill.com/Shop/shop_tripaks.html but they don't support https so I asked for a call back to sort out payment details (around 5pm) & didn't hear anything back by the time they shut up shop for the night around 6pm. Hopefully this will get sorted tomorrow.

Thanks again. I'll probably post my first Casualty pics a day or two after the gear turns up, so keep an eye out ;)
Michael

Offline Lukey

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 11:32:29 PM »
RIDETHEHILL - You knows it!! They're great. I bought mine on the phone and no probs there.

Re: Coupon Code - I've PMed you

Offline mroz

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 01:00:41 AM »
Hey, the green fluffy guy himself :)

Cheers, but I've actually had a pair of PJs for about five days now. Been out for about four thirty minute sessions so far (plus a day one stumble round the flat). Managed walking on the first day out, but having tried running in the dark on day three, ending up kissing the road three or four times (Cheryl, my wife, kept urging me to have another go & it's not like I've got life insurance), I've only just tonight managed a very short run that finished in something other than a bloody mess. Mostly it seems to be about confidence & learning what works & what doesn't.

BTW I'm planning on adding some decor to my PJs soon - will post a pic when I do.

Oh, re your nylon tree bracing mod, it seems to be an increasingly good idea to me. Do you use it under the fluff still? My springs are taped up atm to offer some protection, but I think I need more. I know I'm being lazy as I've not tried the tree surgeon route yet, but do you know of an online supplier for the bracing?

Cheers
Michael

Offline dragon

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 03:38:30 PM »
keep on going its all about confidence

i recently met up with a local bouncer and we egged each other on it was great
tesco car park made a verrrrrry good play ground

so just keep on going you will get there

shaun

ps please dont meet up with any one that says thay have pro jumps
im 31 and met up in a public place and i think we were abit nervice

thats my stanger danger chat well rembered form school :) :) :)

Offline Lukey

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 03:54:21 PM »

Dunno if anyone'll recognise this but

Charlie says....

Offline mroz

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 06:30:29 PM »

I'm 37. I think I'm more likely one of the people you're not supposed to meet up with.

Dunno if anyone'll recognise this but

Charlie says....
...you can buy Nylon tree bracing from... ? ? ? :)

Though I do think they should bring Charlie back to do a warning on not Pro Jumping incompetently across a busy road. I want to see Charlie on PJs.
Michael