Author Topic: Norwich council  (Read 18767 times)

Offline hybrid_hex

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • + + - - REDO FROM START - - + +
Norwich council
« on: February 24, 2008, 11:10:19 AM »
When we were at the castle, two ladies approached me and ask about the sport, they then asked me would we be able to teach other people how to bock? would we be able to do promotional work for them? and could we send them an INVOICE!!!! they want to pay us for doing what we do best!!!

Any views?????

(only thing im worried about is liability insurance, and how much it would cost)

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
Re: Norwich council
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 11:12:02 AM »
`soul rancher has personnal liability  and has looked into public   send him a PM

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 11:17:47 AM »
Sounds great. Think you would need to speak to them a bit More to see exactly what is what first but should well go for it. Would be a great way to get bocking recognised more and would be great promo for the sport and I think we would be welcome more places in the long run.

insurance could be a draw back and thats why I think we would need to get more info. But a poss solution has already come up so its looking good

Offline Gixer

• EA Bocker
    • Imperial Sandtrooper TD-2441
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 11:22:11 AM »
If they want you guys to teach then this is our chance to insist on good facilities ie a sports hall/gym with full EQUIPMENT (after all, newbies need crash mats and safety ;))  - local facilities in Norwich for weekly training - Wooooo!!!!!

I'm still getting no joy from the UEA Sportspark re: use of their halls, with the Council behind us they may be more willing to co-operate....
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 01:53:56 PM by Gixer »
Rachel Smith - www.tk2441.co.uk

Offline hybrid_hex

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 11:26:19 AM »
They asked about at shows etc, but I will find out more when they get into contact with me.

Also the H2O guys said that they might want to use us to open a new centre, they took the forum card, but not my number, so there might be a thread or a phone call to projump.

Dark Knight

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 11:26:34 AM »
If they want you guys to teach then this is our chance to insist on good facilities ie a sports hall/gym with full EQUIPMENT (after all, newbies need crash mats and safety ;))  - local facilities in Norwich for weekly training - Wooooo!!!!!

Or do they intend to foist a load of ASBO chavs onto you to try to "keep them off the streets"  :-\

I'm still getting no joy from the UEA Sportspark re: use of their halls, with the Council behind us they may be more willing to co-operate....

Do we want a load of CHAV's on bocks  :-\  :D

Offline hybrid_hex

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 11:27:51 AM »
means we get to point and laugh at them as they fall over!!! and its not as though bocks come in Burberry is it! :lol: and could they afford them???

Offline Gixer

• EA Bocker
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 11:29:39 AM »
Is it worth telling those women that a bunch of us will be doing the Sport Mile, if they wanted to come chat to us a bit more, get some opinions from us regarding what's best to do?  What about organising a meeting with them so everyone can have a say?

Offline hybrid_hex

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 11:32:09 AM »
I did mention it to them, and when they get in contact I will let them know.

Any ideas on what we should charge?? I know we would have to charge for travelling, plus whatever insurance costs, would we put on a bit extra for us? or just charge for expenses to start??

Offline Hoddsy

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 11:36:06 AM »
On the topic of Gym Facilities, in January i started looking into getting us a place here in Norwich.
 I sent an email to Easton Gymnastics. Heres the response i got today (Also my original email)

Hi Dan,
Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you, but I have been doing some investigation on wether we could cover you for insurance. And I am sorry to say the we can not. Thank you for your interest and if you ever need some gymnastics training without the Bocking boots then drop me a line.

On 3 Jan 2008, at 19:32, Dan Hodds wrote:

Hi there. I was wondering if it was possible for groups to use / rent the gym facilities.
 My group does a  sport called Bocking which involves stilts with springs allowing you to jump high and run fast.  What we would be looking to have is a safe environment with crashmats etc to practice in.

Here is a link to a video which will show you exactly what we do incase you have not heard of the sport

&feature=related

Regards

Dan

Now although it was a no, the fact that they were even considering taking us would be a start. I was thinking of contacting some of the other Bocking groups and asking them about what insurance forms they had to fill in or what processes to go through. I think if we can get some sort of organised reply to them detailing everything about getting our own insurance they may let us in

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 11:40:23 AM »
We could learn to do stuff on trampolines there first though?

Offline Gixer

• EA Bocker
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 11:41:54 AM »
Deffo worth trying for sure, keep on at em  :thumbs:  I don't get it - they'd insure us for normal gymnastics, but not for bocks.....IMO either sport can result in bad injuries so why cover one and not the other?  Plus we'd totally use crash mats everywhere, it's not like we'd be doing it on bare floors (well I sure won't be  :D :D :D )

Offline Gixer

• EA Bocker
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 11:43:42 AM »
We could learn to do stuff on trampolines there first though?

Sure thing, spesh if the UEA Trampoline club won't allow non-students/staff to join....thye are still pratting around getting back to me too  :rolleyes:

If none of you guys are allowed to the UEA club then I'd rather go elsewhere and learn along with you all!

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 11:45:17 AM »
I would like to go there for trampolining and also people are scared of new things..thats probs why bockers cant and gymnasts can  >:(

Offline Gixer

• EA Bocker
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 11:49:53 AM »
On a different note - if the Council want you to teach other kids then does that mean you'd have to buy a supply of "hire bocks" for the kids to use?  As kids who want to learn may not necessarily have the £ to buy bocks, or they may not want to buy until they've had a try a few times.....does this mean a Council Grant to buy "Hire Bocks"??

Dark Knight

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 11:50:43 AM »
Deffo worth trying for sure, keep on at em  :thumbs:  I don't get it - they'd insure us for normal gymnastics, but not for bocks.....IMO either sport can result in bad injuries so why cover one and not the other?  Plus we'd totally use crash mats everywhere, it's not like we'd be doing it on bare floors (well I sure won't be  :D :D :D )
But your getting good at it  !?

Offline Trixter

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Leapfrog Expert
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 11:52:23 AM »
think charges should cover, travel and stuff as i costs me about 20 quid in petrol to get to Norwich and back , but also its going to take a toll on our bocks like i think we should take extra so we can get new parts and stuff for bocks and replace them etc,

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 01:13:15 PM »
Whooa

Lots of questions on this thread, I can help answer some

Grants
Lots of grants can be available depends on where you wnat to look, best one is Awards 4 All.

For the most part to access these grants you must become a sports club with a bank account and a traesurer. Not really to difficult. Must ensure two signatories for any withdrawls.

If you want the council to support you with funding you will have to look at how you run your training venue in a safe and proffessional manner and also how you make the sport inclusive.

Councils and sport in general are trying to engage what are termed hard to reach groups these are

Disabled, Women, Ethnic Minorities and those from low socio economic areas called areas if high Indeces of Multiple Deprivation. (I.M.D)

Inclusive sport
On a seperate point , the young people who are generally considered to engage in anti -social behavior are also a key target for Local Aurhorities and thier partners for "diversionary" activities. Extreme sports and football are favourites.

I have experience of working with those young people most would call louts or chavs. Those involved in schemes I have run significantly changed thier behavior and were,once given respect and responsibility, OK people.

At Norwhich I was reaaly pleased that the caring supportful nature of the forum became real at the meet. While out in Norwich we were labelled a number of unpleasant comments from some ignorant parts of the community please do not mirror thier behavior or stereotype others, you are better than that.

If you want to develop this please talk to me for advce when you know who in the council you spoke to.

Incedently the Lincoln Indoor Training Meet was set up using the local council and thier extreme sports group who are aimed at getting kids off the street into sport.

Grow old disgracefully

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 01:20:14 PM »
Costs for working in sport

If you are coaching the following applies as a general rule

Level 1 coach £10:00 per hour

Level 2 coach £15:00 per hour

Level 3 Coach £20 per hour

As suggested earlier you will have to go through courses to be deemed competent these will include

Child Protection
First Aid (Emergency Minimum)
CRB check

These can be subsidised or possibly paid for vai the Council from a workforce development point of view

Most coaching companies charge approx £30 per hour for thier time for general sports work. This includes coach time at venue, plus planning time and travel time.

Mileage Costs
if you are asked to perform outside of the city or asked to travel then it is reasonable to claim mileage from your council. this is generally £0:40 per mile, though this is changing due to the cost of fuel.

Grow old disgracefully

Offline hybrid_hex

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2008, 01:32:39 PM »
wow! Lots of information to digest! If we want to do this,make the EA's a proper club i have no worries about being a treasurer or organising things, we would need solid yes answers,we already have a name,logo and merchandise range,(we could sell t's to people for a profit, anybody think its worth while??

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 01:40:08 PM »
Appreciate its a lot of info but getting it right will help develop the sport locally

as a wider community we need to look at how we develop into a Sport England recognised sport. This would then open the doors to both local and national funding. Thats a question for another day.

If all bockers want to develop this I am more than happy to use my contacts at sport england to find out thier level of acceptance.

if they accept new age kurling I am sure they will accept bocking.
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Gixer

• EA Bocker
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 01:45:11 PM »
Ahhhh Charlie me lovely I was hoping you'd step in with your superior knowledge ;) ;)

I have experience of working with those young people most would call louts or chavs. Those involved in schemes I have run significantly changed thier behavior and were,once given respect and responsibility, OK people.

At Norwich I was really pleased that the caring supportful nature of the forum became real at the meet. While out in Norwich we were labelled a number of unpleasant comments from some ignorant parts of the community please do not mirror their behavior or stereotype others, you are better than that.

What was said to you?  The worst thing said to me was by a bunch of Stella-drinking teens on top of the Mall, who asked "what's so fun about jumping around???" with sneers on their faces, to which I wanted to reply "what's so fun about sitting on your butt drinking Stella at 11.30 in the morning?"

I have a rather jaded view of kids from IMDs as I was surrounded by them when I worked at Hull College and all I saw was multiple teachers wearing themselves out to help these kids and give them a future, while the kids verbally and sometimes physically abused them, did nothing to help themselves, and expected the world to come to them and give them everything while they did little or no work to get it themselves.  Very frustrating, specially with the ones you could SEE had potential and intelligence, but with attitudes that sucked :(

On a seperate note and not to sound too paranoid, but with groups of deprived kids today and the "Gang Culture" that is pervading, what about the personal safetey of the instructors and other Bockers, in case anything should break out during a class?  Verbal/physical abuse, fights etc??  Yeah maybe I *am* being a tad paranoid but you never know and it's always good to cover all bases.....  :-[
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 01:53:21 PM by Gixer »

Offline Gixer

• EA Bocker
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 01:48:59 PM »
On another seperate note if anyone from the Council joins this forum and reads this thread, erm should some of the disparaging comments be moderated out?   ??? ???

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 01:49:57 PM »
You can edit your own posts gixer but I agree with you all bases do need to be covered

Offline hybrid_hex

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008, 01:53:36 PM »
If anything would happen,thats when my military side would come out :scool: mixed in with a bit of my scout leader side :thumbs: