Author Topic: Anyone here a lawer, or similar  (Read 5741 times)

Offline Sx Nutta

• Elite Member
  • No Brains Required
Anyone here a lawer, or similar
« on: February 07, 2008, 08:05:27 PM »
Hi all, I am looking for someone who knows the law, regarding tenants and land lords, and fire safety, as we recently had a fire outside the only escape making exiting dangerous, as it was a car on fire, and there was no other exit supplied by the land lord, and wondering if the land lord can be held responsible for not supplying a alternative fire exit, and not having any fire procedures in place for this, and if I can get away with not paying my next rent check, due to the endangerment of my life, due to their actions

Any answers or legal advice, will be greatly accepted, as I am planning to make a full report to the land lord regarding this issue.

- Sx Nutta (A angry student tenant)

Fire is good!
But Fire is better when you are spinning or breathing it!
Burn Scars are for life!
Chicks dig dudes with cool burn scars!

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
Re: Anyone here a lawer, or similar
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 08:08:44 PM »
I cant believe that the building passed the regulations tbf  :o

Offline stevie

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 08:29:27 PM »
Iv had a word with afriend who is a landlord, it seems that your landlord is breaking every rule in the book, try the citizens advise.

Dark Knight

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 08:32:42 PM »
The first and important thing
DON'T STOP PAYING RANT ! two wrongs never make a right !
The Land Lord has a duty of care to the tentant but, if there is only a exit and this as been pionted out then I thank you can't do anything ?
Unless it never pass building reglations in the first place ?

« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 08:43:38 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline Sx Nutta

• Elite Member
  • No Brains Required
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 08:39:10 PM »
I am going to see the student welfare office on tuesday, and discuss this with me a bit more in depth, as they supply exiting info in the main hallways but only via the only exit to the block, but due to this being bocked by the fire, there was no other escape, rent will be paid until enough advise is given and I got legal support to take it on further

Fire is good!
But Fire is better when you are spinning or breathing it!
Burn Scars are for life!
Chicks dig dudes with cool burn scars!

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 09:30:20 PM »
It would also be an idea to see who else in the building is affected and perhaps take steps to get help together.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 09:41:06 PM »
A couple of bits of advice Sx

First Dk is right never stop paying unless you want to be either on the street or on the wrong end of the law

Next all buildings that are classed as rented to tenants need an alternative fire escape but if the place is sorted by the School/College it is a different thing entirely (they seem to be a law unto themselfs  :biggrin:)

If the landlord is running the place Ilegaly he's in a lot of trouble (but he probably won't care cause he's a crook) but in some buildings it is not possible to fit a second fire escape so the landlord has to put other measures in place (higher rated fire doors/sprinkler systems )

The next one is the biggie if you are getting the place very cheap you have to look at it one of three ways you can go elsewhere pay more rent and get two exits or you can give the lanlord whatfor and get things changed and then end up paying him more rent or getting kicked out so he can rent it for more (now that it's legal)
The third way is to find a window on the other side that you can reach the ground from and next time theres a fire chuck a chair through it and get out that way (might upset the landlord  :biggrin:)

If it was suggested or recomended by the school/college then go to them and complain bitterly about endangerment of life and they will sort it

But sadly most bad landlords will just say P*ss off and live somewhere else if you don't like it (not right I know but a sad fact of life that the law does very little in this area)

If your really peeved with the Landlord go to the relevent building regs dept at the council and lodge a complaint but remember if they decide it's a major problem they will shut him down and you'll be looking for somewhere to live again

Lastly Buy a Fire Extinguisher  :thumbs:

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Ps the fire wasn't started by Poi by any chance was it  :haha:

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 09:45:06 PM »
i no im 15 and crap at advice but my sister had a flat and it was the same only had 1 door on the way out...

but i think you have to have at least 2 exits to a flat for safety reasons have a word wif sumone hus educated in this area which is obviously not me :thumbs: :biggrin:

BANANA DANCE :banana:

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline rickbicker26

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 11:33:04 PM »
i'vegot balcony door to get out on if theres a fire in my place but i'm not mental enough to jump over the balcony as its a very long drop to the floor below and wouldnt be a pretty site the mess it would leave either.

Offline Carma

• Elite Member
  • As Seen On TV - The Bocking Rocker
    • Carma Pet Portraits
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 12:50:56 AM »
Just like to add, as I work in the construction industry, in fact SPECIFICALLY this industry, the building would not have been able to be inhabited unless it has passed fire regs. It doesnt nessessarily need to have a seperate fire exit. But rather other means to ensure fire safety. Quite simply SX, its totally legal. It wouldnt have been able to be used otherwise.

I draw up buildings every day that have only ONE exit, in fact, I cannot remember the last time one of the buildings I worked on actually had seperate fire exits.

Any answers or legal advice, will be greatly accepted, as I am planning to make a full report to the land lord regarding this issue.

- Sx Nutta (A angry student tenant)

Sorry, but you dont have a leg to stand on, its a very bad way to try and get out of paying your rent. Personally, sh*t like that is why this world is so screwed up. People screwing everyone over for money where ever they can. Your life was not endangered, and wont be, so stop over exaggerating.

I think its disgraceful that you are even attempting this. I know the regulations. And they cant just 'get away with not having them'

-Carma (An angry Building Services CAD Technician)

PS. Its spelt 'Lawyer'
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 01:04:30 AM by Carma »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 08:12:37 PM »
I agree with you there Carma (I worked in the building trade for years and now have to deal with public building regs and listed buildings  :banghead:)

Except a lot of ilegal renting is going on around the country and if a landlord dosen't bother to register or inform the relevant authorities they can get away with murder (literaly in some cases)

We had a case in Hounslow where they had knocked through into the lofts of 6 houses (without the residents knowing) and were sleeping people at the rate of about 40 to one house it only came to light when the neighbours thought they had rats due to the noise above there ceiling and as it was a convertion none of them had access to the loft space

When they tried to catch the landlord I believe he was a resident of some far flung country and had used an alias to do all his renting and business (the people that used to collect the rent were also abscent  :biggrin:)

So if Sx is in that sort of rental he should do something about it but to be kind I had skipped the bit about saving money and assumed it was for safety reasons  :biggrin:

And maybe Sx was after a reprimand from you (seems like a good way to get some fun  :haha:)

Offline Carma

• Elite Member
    • Carma Pet Portraits
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 08:27:47 PM »
Hes in a HUGE flat complex, of probably about 1000 rooms.

-Carma (The Bocking Rocker)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 09:15:07 PM »

Yep a tad difficult to to get that past the council without them noticing it  :biggrin:  (although they did loose millions in the health service and can't find it  :haha:)

Offline English-tailor

• Elite Member
  • Piste off MoFo's
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 09:59:25 PM »

Is it the big one opposite the football ground?

Offline Carma

• Elite Member
    • Carma Pet Portraits
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 10:13:22 PM »
Yup! That very one :)