Author Topic: becoming a coach  (Read 17839 times)

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
Re: becoming a coach
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 12:34:12 AM »
hmm charlie you do no how to put a good point across and i am still working out everysingle kink in my plan

but asoon as ive done my police training i will have CRB, first aid, child responability and should be able to get a stage 1 qualifiction in gynastics coaching. :banana:

(ofcorse i wouldnt of got all these good ideas and way to sort things out without charlies help he is very smart in this area of work) :nana:

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 12:37:52 AM »
Just replying to jasons thoughts

As a coach working with people and seeing them blossom in skills and confidence and in some cases changing lives is an experience and a feeling that I can never tire of and that keeps me involved. If you get the training you minimise the risks so they does not become a major issue.

Only thing with organising Bocking events is that you do not always spend as much time on the stilts as you want to  ;D
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2008, 12:39:14 AM »
Go for it Aidanh1

Glad to have helped
Grow old disgracefully

Offline stevie

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 04:25:36 AM »
i know wher your coming from on this, its certainly not a new idea, but one that has been taken for granted, we do hold from time to time teaching classes at the gym, and a fully qualified gymnastics coach is involved,with all the certificates mentioned, but obviously the meets are diferent,i myself am ex army pti, and am a  performing arts tutor, and visit schools promoting sport,in my case rugby, and i have insurance and all the rest etc, and quite a few bockers around are gymnastics coaches,

i looked into this last year, i was aproached by a circus school, and asked to join them as a teacher,and i found that a few people already teach bocks for a fee, under the circus skills, stilts,  it wasn't defined as bocks, just stilts, and the fees for students were quite high, i did a few workshops, but the main interest wasn't bocks, and they soon learned enough for me not to be required,

its a good idea, it depends if there is a demand for it, our doors have been open for well over a year as a bocking centre, probably one of the best in the country, with everything thats in it, and if the demand was there we would open every day, but the amount of new people enquiring about classes is very few, even when the sponsored classes were on last summer with that tv campaign thing we only had a few,

its something that i realy enjoy, teaching bocks, i get so much out of it, i have never made a penny out of it though its just fun, it may be an idea to look at the circus schools and see what ther certificate covers for stilts,if you haven't yet that could be your answer, then if it doesn't already, may be it could be made to specify velocity stilts, that would help the sport, im sure i havn't said anything you dont know, but just incase, hope its of some help.

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »
I think it is going to be the case that most people will learn on their own or with 1 or 2 friends.

But there is a place Id say now for more formal coaching. We have had regular gym sessions here on the south oast for 8 months now ( and a few irregular ones before that).

The standard and enjoyment all that attend has rocketted. Tho its still a very much helping each other out enviroment, things have narroed to a few of us doing more of the teaching and admin ( boring d'oh) and 'responsible adult bit'.

Just as 12-18 months ago people were learning to bock on their own. Now people are learning to teach on their own. These skills really could do with being spread more efficiently. Not just the safe way of teaching back flips ( the only 'rules' the JJs have relate to our gym, wear pads, bring water and take a break when you want 1). But more and different and imaginative exerciss or games to play. In Bournemouth we have had obstical course races even tried 3 legged races. In spain lots of people were doing and trying head and hand stands . Not something we had thought about  on the south coast. But for this Sunday Ill be asking for a few thin floor mats to be put out at our gym to try these.

The 'theoretical/legal/H&S' stuff  looks daunting and off-putting. But once read and explained barable and is just the boring prelude to what many of us have been doing for quite awhile alread. Either in this sport or others.

Offline hybrid_hex

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • + + - - REDO FROM START - - + +
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2008, 10:17:09 AM »
How many people need to use bocks, or how well know do they need to be to become a recognised sport??

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2008, 10:27:03 AM »
Your question is not really valid hybrid_hex.
It's not about numbers or being well known its about forming the appropriate parties and getting a National Governing Body formed. Only then will it become an official sport and only then will we be able to approach any organization for just about anything really but I guess funding is the main one.
It is perfectly possible to have 1 million bockers in the uk and it still not be a sport. If things carried on as they were then we would be heading in that direction. This is exactly why we have started the National Powerbocking Association.
www.ukpowerbocking.co.uk

It's the first step in the right direction.

Offline hybrid_hex

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • + + - - REDO FROM START - - + +
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2008, 10:31:32 AM »
Thanks Locky, you may find me joining up as an EA region member, so we have somone with their thumb in the pie!! lol!

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2008, 11:23:27 AM »
Way ahead of you... ;)

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2008, 04:51:26 PM »
Some very interesting stuff, the devlopment of the association should begin to put most of these things in perspective

Really interesting point from Stevie reference both his experience and also the Circus skills route.

Fully agree that at the moment Bradford is the best place to go if you want to develop. Thoroughly enjoyed my recent trips up there and I am now bouncing much, much better.
Grow old disgracefully

Offline stevie

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2008, 05:01:57 PM »
hope i don't confuse things here, but dont forget i started the powerbocking association last year, and as i mentioned at the time i was to buisy to start it up properly on my own, and asked for help, www.powerbockingassociation.co.uk at the time i just linked it to my wesite, but the true site is curently under construction,

you seem to be doing a good job with it so i don't want to confuse things for you, its about the sport and i will help.

ps, with your site being up and runing, it might be an idea if you take the sites that i have to do with powerbocking, it makes sence to keep it under one, and not as in rugby were you have league and union, etc, its just a sugestion, but like i said i will help out as much as i can.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 07:19:36 PM by stevie »

Dark Knight

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2008, 05:32:56 PM »
One thing we must sort out is standardizing !
I one thing wanting to coach but we need a show that your at a level which you can teach !?
A lot of us have got the odd person to have a go on our stilt thing is where you doing it the best way !?
If we work out what works best then maybe more people who try will stick with it and not think it's too hard  :)

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2008, 01:02:30 AM »
Interesting Stevie, I know Matt Lock has developed the website & has asked for people who want to develop the sport to help, agree that joining the two strands together would be good.

DK with regards to standardising coaching I think this is a project that will need to be put on hold until we have a working association to administer and develop a coach education programme

Sports Coach UK have developed the generic process for sports coach education with standardised levels 1 through to 4 (might be 5) We would need to align coach education to this process if we want to be considered a sport.

Major current areas for me that we could solve easily by using standard courses already being run would be First Aid and Child Protection. The rest may take some time.
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Wally247

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2008, 11:56:19 PM »
all looking good guys keep up the good work...

Essentialy what is required is a difinitive list / spesification. stating what each bocker shold be able to do and to what degree of proficiency.

without this there can be no grading/coaching/teaching or insurance(possibly) for bocking as a sport. if this thread does anything it should be to create and promote a specificaton with multiple levels and a provisionaly coppy should be published on ukpowerbocking. Once this has been compiled then it would be possible to create a governing body/endorced assessors. By awarding centraly recognised levels (possibly simmilar to the ones on this forum or simmilar to the ones in martial arts) it would give new bockers something to look for when asking for help.

This cold hopefuly eliminate (at least temperally) the need for coches. obvioulsy as you progressed to higher levels there could be the oppertunity to encorporate H&S child protection. First Aid should probably be optional at lower levels and then compulsary at a higher standard.

hope i havent just sprouted gibberish and that this is another point of view/path that cold be taken
ps sorry about the spelling  ;D
:
                                                          click for details

bocking puts the spring back in you step...

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2008, 09:08:41 PM »
Just need to clear something up

level 1 Coaching is really just being able to organise events (gym meets ?) in a safe way & does not cover proficiency in coaching.

Child Protection & Firts Aid in my view should be almost mandatory for anyone organising an event. For your own protection if nothing else
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2008, 11:58:54 AM »
All this red tape puts me off wanting to go anywhere near the idea of coaching

:spudT:

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2008, 12:23:36 PM »
thats exactly why we're putting the association in place.
For any one person to tackle all this would be a total nightmare, even without all the paperwork. The association will, when complete, streamline this process and clearly outline who needs to do what to gain whatever it is they are looking for.
It also means the paperwork and official duties are shared between a few people :)

Offline Sx Nutta

• Elite Member
  • No Brains Required
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2008, 12:45:32 PM »
I am going to be teaching one of the kids from the youth group how to bock, lol

Fire is good!
But Fire is better when you are spinning or breathing it!
Burn Scars are for life!
Chicks dig dudes with cool burn scars!

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2008, 12:47:14 PM »
I am going to be teaching one of the kids from the youth group how to bock, lol

random and a little out of place..

thats exactly why we're putting the association in place.
For any one person to tackle all this would be a total nightmare, even without all the paperwork. The association will, when complete, streamline this process and clearly outline who needs to do what to gain whatever it is they are looking for.
It also means the paperwork and official duties are shared between a few people :)

That makes me feel better about the idea..not so scary so have my full support

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2008, 07:16:14 PM »
Please try to understand that getting training is about doing things well and not putting either you or others in danger.

This is not just red tape, for example if anyone hurts themselves what do you do if its a cut, a broken limb, or head injury. Basic First Aid makes you aware and safer.

If you know how to risk asess an area (not hard) and understand what steps you need to go through when planning a gym session you minimise chances of anyone hurting themselves and maximise the chances that people have an enjoyable experience

Child Protection is again as much for your safety as thiers. For example how would you go about fitting the knee straps behind a young girl or boys knee. There are very simple ways to make sure you are not at risk. A child protection course can be covered in an evening as can first aid.

Things can and do go wrong, most of the time it is little things which can be dealt with easily. I coach football & have had guys get broken limbs, twists etc. By doing the courses I have acted in a way that minimises me doing any further damage to them & supports them at a time of some distress.

Finally I am not perfect, I nearly got caught out in Lincoln when we went onto the artificial playing surface. Did not do a surface safety check, the surface was really slippy, we had one run and then stopped it.

If you are in guides, scouts or doing most type of volunteer work you can get most of these courses at a reduced rate or free.
Grow old disgracefully

Dark Knight

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2008, 08:17:17 PM »
Another good piont about coaching is it's a lot safer for everyone if your not no your own !?
Should something happen it's useful to have someone you know can help you out.
If you have a class and someone needs you then ( gets hurt ) you can get you helper to sort the rest of the group out, even if that just stopping the class and getting them out the way !?

Offline stevie

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2008, 02:51:05 AM »
Its all looking good, but lets not put people of having meets, and gym sessions,and the like, thats what made this sport,i do know where your coming from, with safety and the like, one of my main concerns with the powerbocking association last year, was that fun  must not be taken out, the rest is related to common sence.

as credit to Lukey he doesn't know but i admire him, it was his vids and tutorials that got me and many more buzing about bocking, his early days were full of exciting vids, that made sence, and when i met him i didn't get the chance to thank him, he was one of the early pioneers of Powerbocking, it was that sort of fun that gets people interested, and want to have a go, it worked with me,he would make a good coach, and Uncle Matt always a laugh a bock and straight to the point, and then the Brothers from Sweden, Swebounce and Hemoves, with there unique skills that stun the world, so the association would have to be strong enough to represent the like of them, then it would be a strong body,

i hope they don't mind me mentioning there names, as i have for them, and others from the early days 100% full respect,

Keep the capital F in Fun, LOL. keep up the good work.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 11:11:01 AM by stevie »

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2008, 11:32:55 AM »
cheers grandad!

LOL

8)

I think we're gonna come up soon stevie. We miss you guys :(

Offline stevie

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2008, 11:57:07 AM »
Hey Locky, thats great news, youv made my day, can't wait to see you all, heeeey yeeeeaaaaa.

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2008, 12:44:49 PM »
cheers grandad!

LOL

8)

I think we're gonna come up soon stevie. We miss you guys :(
MINIBUS TRIP FTW! :D