Author Topic: Progression  (Read 8771 times)

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
Progression
« on: May 07, 2008, 11:12:31 PM »
Bocking is still pretty new compared to a lot of activities, but I bet over the last few years, some of you have seen new moves that you'd have never thought possible just a little while before. Such as double twists and double fronts by people like swe-bounce.

So I was wondering. Are there any new tricks that you'd love to see happen in the next few months or years? Make them as simple or complicated as you like, but preferrably tricks that you believe could happen. :)

I'd like to see a back handspring. Now obviously the ground is a long way down, so it would probably have to be done over something... like a car bonnet or a bin. :)

And has anyone done a double backflip?

So, what would you like to see? And are there any tricks that you're working on that will be new to the bocking world? Be creative. :)

Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

• Elite Member
Re: Progression
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 09:16:57 PM »
Fantastic. It's great to know you're all really creative, aspirational people! :rolleyes: lol. :D
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:39:03 PM »
I missed this one first time round

Yep I have got one that I have been practicing for since the day I got mine

NOT BL**DY FALLING OVER  :biggrin:

I still havn't got it right sometimes I think I have and then it goes wrong again  :haha:

Seriously though has anyone done a cartwheel yet (that would be spectacular)

Jason  :Hoofies2:

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 10:00:01 PM »
It could easily be done over something. But Lukman believes he could do it on flat! He doesn't think the extra height would be a problem... he can do perfect cartwheels on his elbows!

Offline theonlysilenthunter

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 10:02:53 PM »
Can you do it without the hands?

Although that would just be a flip sideways i spose  :-\ hmmm i'm gonna keep my thinking cap on!!

How bout a simple twist ie like over something but without anything there?? ummmm like swebouce did in the vid....... i think it was something like 12 seconds through........ (360 in the horizontal it that helps you picture it)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 10:08:19 PM by theonlysilenthunter »

Dark Knight

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 10:19:44 PM »
How about a piggyback, two up of a pair of stilts.

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 10:36:49 PM »

How bout a simple twist ie like over something but without anything there??...

...Can you do it without the hands?

Although that would just be a flip sideways i spose

Well like you said. 180's and fulls already exist. But the no handed cartwheel would be new. :) It would be an aerial. Not a sideflip. Nice thinking. Keep'em coming. ;D

I want to see tic tacs (As I described once before). :)

I'm just waiting for parts to finish mods to protect everything. Don't wanna detroy them while I'm trying new things. :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 10:38:27 PM by Brendan (NeoNinja) »

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 10:44:31 PM »
How about a piggyback, two up of a pair of stilts.

Done, many a time  :D

Offline carlgreen

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for backFLEEP!
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 10:46:55 PM »
brendan are you coming to norwich this sunday?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 10:48:35 PM »
No hands is cheating

It's got to be a real cartwheel but I would accept a pair of bocks on the arms to extend them  :biggrin:

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 10:50:05 PM »
brendan are you coming to norwich this sunday?

Sadly no. Busy revising for exams... and I'm poor! :D lol. But I'll be there sometime in the summer. :) Can't wait. ;D

List so far:

1) Back handspring
2) Double back
3) Cart wheel
4) Aerial
5) Tic Tac

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 10:54:19 PM by Brendan (NeoNinja) »

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 08:49:12 AM »
Wall flip  :biggrin: Lol

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 11:01:49 PM »
Someone kind of did a wall-flip... but it was on a spring-board leant against the wall.
I haven't yet seen a proper one on a vertical wall. That would indeed be awesome! :)

Also, in the spirit of Bocking (as opposed to Parkour and gymnastics like my previous suggestions) I've thought of a new grab. :) I hope I'll perfect it over the summer. I plan to get good on my PJ's over the holidays and make a vid by the end of it. ;) ...might change my mind when I find that all I have is an hour or so of me falling over! ;D lol.

Offline Hazelnut

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 07:26:52 AM »
a square flip...as in frontflip then sideflip then backflip then sideflip agen..so u end where u started! :D

Offline Paul-Self

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 09:22:25 AM »
cartwheels round offs backflips (using gymnast terminology not the American )   etc probably wont happen as you have stilts on your legs making you higher up but your hands are still the same length so attempting a round off for example you would just fall and probs hurt your arms / face unless someone can find some arm extensions !

thats why when ever someone does a handstand on bocks they dont do it from standing its allways from knees
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 09:25:12 AM by Paul-Self »

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 02:50:54 PM »
cartwheels round offs backflips (using gymnast terminology not the American )   etc probably wont happen as you have stilts on your legs making you higher up but your hands are still the same length so attempting a round off for example you would just fall and probs hurt your arms / face unless someone can find some arm extensions !

thats why when ever someone does a handstand on bocks they dont do it from standing its allways from knees

"Backflip" is a generalised gymnastics term. It doesn't refer to one specific movement. Which did you mean? Because people already do several back-flip variations. If you meant back-flick (back-handspring) I did actually explain how it would be possible in previous posts if you read them.

People already do round-offs. :P Have you never seen one? Round-offs (and by the same reasoning, back handsprings and cartwheels) are made perfectly easy by performing them over an object. In the same way that gymnasts perform the vault. ...theoretically you could do Tsuki's over a car on bocks ;D lol.

In the case of the cartwheel, you stand next to a wall... lets say 3-4ft high... initiate a cart-wheel motion as normal, place your hands on the wall, then continue the cart-wheel motion as normal with your feet landing on the other side of the wall. The same would be true for a round-off and a back flick/handspring. But it would look cooler over a car! ;D lol.

Besides... with enough flexibility, a normal cart-wheel on flat ground would certainly be achievable. You probably can't imagine them because you're not flexible enough. Lukman intends to do one. ;) ...and I intend to watch :D lol.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 03:03:37 PM by Brendan (NeoNinja) »

Offline Paul-Self

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 06:19:10 PM »
i just meant flat ground it would be difficult to do a decent round of at speed.

and through my years of gymnastics a backflip was allways a  used for doing a "back handspring" so its just how ive allways said it a back flick was going into bridge postion and then flicking 1 leg over then the other the girls used to do it

and allways called "flips" somersaults or back tuck / front tuck etc but its just my termonalagy that i use not sayings its right or wrong lol .

and about me not being flexible i can still practically do the splits. and both feet go behind my head =P
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 06:48:16 PM by Paul-Self »

Offline Greggles

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • BOCK IT AND ROCK IT
    • www.eabockers.com
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 06:27:29 PM »
how bout the 1 where one person holds the other upside down and then the 1 standing upright leans over so the other gets on there feet i have seen it dun on feet but on bocks it would b kool

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 08:07:40 PM »
I did say that I would accept a cartwheel with a second set of Bocks strapped to the arms  :biggrin:

Or even arm extentions as used in LotR (not that I am volunteering  :haha:)

• Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 12:02:01 PM »
Like yourself Paul-self, I can only speak for the gymnastics clubs I've been to. And perhaps terminology changes over the years. But at the one I attend the move you described as a flick is called a walk-over. I suppose there could also be regional differences... but for competitive scoring purposes I beleive there are standardised terms.

about me not being flexible i can still practically do the splits. and both feet go behind my head

You should really give the cartwheel a go then! Unfortunately I can only do the front splits. I haven't been any where near able to do side splits for years. It's going to be about lateral trunk flexibility and inner thigh/groin flexibility. If you cand do cartwheels on your elbows it's not much of a stretch of your imagination to forsee doing one on bocks. Use a pile of mats and keep removing one at a time until one day you can reach the ground. And the walk over you described would be a simple matter of trunk flexibility (of course you'd probably also bend the knees unlike gymnasts). I'm not saying any of these things would be easy (or particularly impressive... I never saw the point of headstands on bocks for example. Since bocks are about jumping, headstands, walk-overs and cart-wheels don't seem particulary relevant). But I can't believe they're impossible.

...And I like Greg's thinking. ;) As well as those who want to try quadrupedal bocking. ;D That sounds awesome!

Man, I always write to much. :P

« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 12:16:32 PM by Brendan (NeoNinja) »

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 04:50:07 PM »
Since bocks are about jumping, headstands, walk-overs and cart-wheels don't seem particulary relevant).

I rest my case  ;)  :D

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 09:55:02 AM »
lol - thats a coincidence. I saw the Norwich pic like this one just 5 mins ago. Look at the comment. ;)

EDIT: Just thought of another one... but it's pretty hardcore. Kip-up from standing! a.k.a. Frogman. Probably only to be done on sand or really soft grass! definitely not on concrete!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 11:58:11 PM by Brendan (NeoNinja) »