Author Topic: 80kg or 90kg?  (Read 4875 times)

Offline Intaru

• www.myspace.com/_djpenguindude_
80kg or 90kg?
« on: May 24, 2008, 12:53:04 PM »
Hey guys,
I pretty much weigh 70KG on the dot but i heard somewhere id be best buying 90kg so i will get best return in how high i can jump, what would you guys reccomend, 80kg or 90kg?
Thanks
With great power, Comes great oppotunities to abuse that power.

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
Re: 80kg or 90kg?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 01:03:50 PM »
if you are are beginner I would go for a pair of M80's rather than a pair of M90's as they will be far too stiff for you.

Offline Intaru

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 01:20:31 PM »
How long would it be before id then have to buy some 90's though, purley because its pretty pricey.

Offline choco bean

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 01:26:36 PM »
I don't know how long it would be but i do know you can just buy a pair of springs instead of the whole frame thing for bout £75

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it!

Offline Intaru

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 12:08:17 PM »
Anyone happen to have any experience of how long it was before they needed to buy 2 sizes up as opposed to 1? Cheers.

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 12:28:47 PM »
Would depend how you progress but 80's would be fine and much better for you now. If you get 90's now you would slow your progress right down by it being to hard to compress the spring. You may think getting new springs is a pain..and it kinda is. What I would say is get 80s and see how you go. I think it would be a while before you needed new ones.

Have you done gymnastics, parkour trampolining before?

Offline stevie

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 12:34:46 PM »
yea i agrea, as everyone is different mate, you wont know how you will progress until you try, and if they are too stiff it'l make you feel like your not progresing, i would say go to a meet and ask if you can try some 80s on.

Offline zefee

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 01:09:11 PM »
it all depends on the person, my springs are between 20 and 30 kgs above my weight, and thats the first pair ive had, but I feel fine on them, and that im progressing (when its actualy possible) on them ok.
Personaly, as said, I would try and tag along to a meet, and try on some 80s and 90's, remember they will be worn in, but itle let u get a feel for the difference and allow you to decide.

zef

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 05:23:57 PM »
Yeah as Zefee said it really is a personnal thing, im 20kgs over my weight, took me about 4 months until i had no option but move up a weight class or two, i wouldnt step on anything under 100kgs now though as the height is unreal

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 07:52:13 PM »
I weigh in at 80 kgs and have just gone to 94kg

feel a bit stiff but I seem to be getting better hieght when I get the technique right. It has took me about 4 months to be comfortable but it is an experience thing with age, previous gymnastics, trampolining and other stuff having a major effect on your development.
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Intaru

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 07:23:38 PM »
I did gymnastics for 6 years, though ironically it was about six years ago since i last did it.

You really reckon they will might let me try on 80's and 90's at a meeting, where do these take place? sorry im still new to this. Are there any in london?

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 04:39:10 PM »
Hey man. If you're a gymnast (X-gymnast, I'd say go for the 90's). If you really want to get optimal height, the 10kg rule only really applies to people who don't know how to jump... there are a surprising number of people who don't.

It's fine for the richer people to say get 80's now then buy 90's a few weeks later. :P But if you're a little low on money that's not an option.

The 10kg rule is great for beginners. And it's great for people who don't have a lot of power in their legs. But as a gymnast you'll probably find yourself needing a heavier set sooner or later. At least that's the advice I was given by more dynamic bockers... and it makes sense when you think about it.

So the real questions are, do you have a lot of dynamic strength and power?
And, can you afford to buy 80's now, then 90's when you out-grow them? 

Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 12:58:24 AM »
Hey man. If you're a gymnast (X-gymnast, I'd say go for the 90's). If you really want to get optimal height, the 10kg rule only really applies to people who don't know how to jump... there are a surprising number of people who don't.

It's fine for the richer people to say get 80's now then buy 90's a few weeks later. :P But if you're a little low on money that's not an option.

The 10kg rule is great for beginners. And it's great for people who don't have a lot of power in their legs. But as a gymnast you'll probably find yourself needing a heavier set sooner or later. At least that's the advice I was given by more dynamic bockers... and it makes sense when you think about it.

So the real questions are, do you have a lot of dynamic strength and power?
And, can you afford to buy 80's now, then 90's when you out-grow them? 

you know what Brendan, im starting to really like hearing your opinions on things.
although i didnt "do gymnasics" other than when the school were forced to let us via school authority types, i do feel a bit that way out, my bro (drunken) and i can do pretty mad isht off diving boards, we always have been a bit "tapped" but we just taught ourselfs
(ok wait for it, you lot aint had it yet but your about to, im drunk and ranting so HAHAHAHA!! :nana:
we made a game called F :censored: K ups, the idea was we in turn named a stupid part of your body to bounce really high of the bottom board and then make first contact with the pool using that part of the body, belly and back were old hat by now mind you, so we used the madest things, left ass check, very top of the head, you know silly things that get you hurt.
But although we were rolling all over the place laughing at each others pain the idea of the game was if you intentionally hurt yourself, then when you go to try some bad new dive that you have never tried before whats the worst thats gonna happen?
belly flop?, we do that for warm ups, land on the side of your head? happened, someone got a blister on their ear drum for landing wrong on that one (  :censored: happens when you play silly games though huh) see my point?, if youve caused yourself this pain for general jollys, trying new things isnt scary, that just how me and drunken grew up though.
WHICH to get to me to the longest digressed point on pro jump, is why i love your opinions Brendan, i often lack the terminology to put my point across in a clear light, then you come along and do it in 3 lines.

(sorry if this is compllete shizen, i have tried to edit and spellcheck myself, but  this how it is at times )

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 01:09:39 AM »
you know what Brendan, im starting to really like hearing your opinions on things.

Thank you. :D ...but you're kind of a bad influence. I really want to play your game now! ;D haha. Though it's a bit cold for swimming... I may have to substitute the diving-board with a spring-board, and the pool with a foam pit. ;D Belly flops first since I'm a n00b at this game! ;)
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline m0rdin

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 06:06:26 PM »
This is exactly my topic since im weighing 71kg.

--> I got exactly the same question like Intaru: Am I supposed to buy the 80 or the 90kg version? But I really want an exact answer. So I'll give you a short review of the situation I'm in:
In my life I never did something like gymnastics or trampolining. But I've been a inline skater for some 12 years (I want Powerizers cause I want to do something new) and I was pretty much into wintersports in the past years. That means, that I have pretty much confidence in my balance. On the other side I do not have too much power in my legs (I'm no weakling, but I'm no soccer player or gymnast too) and that doubts me.

Risking to buy the weaker ones in order to be forced to buy a new pair of springs after a few weeks is not an option. But being forced to buy stronger springs after a period of one year is somehow affordable (but not too desirable).

Thanks for teh answer. ^^

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 07:05:23 PM »
The guidelines say at least 10kg over your actual weight. I would go form the higher. getting ones below the minimum could reduce the life span of the spring.

Balence helps bocking but its one of the easiest things about the sport. It is the strength and power that is the hardest thing to get. Although you have not done any of the "helpful" sports before it is defo better to be over the limit than under...

I mite be rong tho..just my oppinion

:spudT: