Author Topic: Advice on tricking - no safety equipment except pads!  (Read 13211 times)

Offline MrRoo

• My Blog
Advice on tricking - no safety equipment except pads!
« on: May 28, 2008, 04:00:17 AM »
I've had my PJs for about three weeks now, and tonight I started doing Pikes, Straddles, and a few Split-Kicks.

Unfortunately, I'm still only getting about 2andahalf feet of air, though it's constantly improving.

[According to my mate, I look like Iron Man when I "take off", 'cause my hands are stiff to my sides, like his jet thrusters, LOL.]

Any advice on getting flips done? I'm unfortunate enough not to have any access to any safety mats, or any safe places for bouncing... So it's just me versus either concrete or grass... Hah! However, I've always been a bit lacking in the commonsense department, so actually getting confidence to do them isn't really a problem.  ;)

Anyway, any advice would be awesome, as I'm keen to get some serious stuff going.

Cheers!

Roo.
Watch this space, folks!

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
Re: Advice on tricking - no safety equipment except pads!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 10:16:15 AM »
first flips i done were concrete to grass, well done on your improvements also mate

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline MrRoo

• My Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 01:36:04 PM »
Awesome!

Obviously, my woman has concerns about me doing flips, etc, as she's convinced I'll fall and kill myself...

[Dramatic, I know...]

However, I want to get some flips on the go, as I feel I'm not only dumb enough to do it, but hard enough not to break on landing!  :P

Any more advice from anyone?

Cheers!  :)
Watch this space, folks!

Offline Athoul

• PJF Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 01:38:34 PM »
It really scares me how people who have only had their stilts a couple weeks already want to try flips.

Have you got any previous gymnastic/tricking/trampolining experience with flips?
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Offline Joe Legg

• What goes up! Must come down!
    • www.PushYourLimits.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 01:49:41 PM »
yeah im with athoul and that. people think flips are just another trick like a straddle. All i can say is make sure you can do it on a trampoline somewhere before even thinking about flips onto grass.
I'm just saying this because alot of people think fliping on powerisers is just wiping your body round.... It dont work and you land hard on your back.

all i can say is if you have nover done a flip before. get on a trampoline and practice the tecnique before trying it on stilts.

E-Mail: joe@pushyourlimits.co.uk
Latest Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3mB5yxMHjE

Offline MrRoo

• My Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 02:03:46 PM »
Haha, that's a good point!

I used to, back when I were a young, young 'un, do a wee bit of gymnastics. I quit that to do Judo, as the two clashed, and I preferred fighting to wearing a leotard. :P

A couple of my friends have got tramamamampoliiiines!, and I'm quite adept at doing somersaults, backflips, etc, on them.

Also, I can do a standing head-spring, hand-spring, etc. I can't do a standing somersault or backflip anymore, though I used to be able to when I was about 14/15.

So aye, I'm quite well-versed in flips and stuff, just unsure of how to do them on my PJs.

No lies, promise, etc.  :angel:

Roo.
Watch this space, folks!

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 02:05:14 PM »
well re the arms by side. thats not too good. They should be moving. never gong behind back and going up when you go up  down when you go down ---look at a few vids ----really it should get you a bit higher

Would be a help if you could post a video of what you CAN do .

Then proper tailored advice can be given

Offline MrRoo

• My Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 02:09:58 PM »
Aye, when I'm going for more and more height, my arms start going up and down, like I'm on a trampoline, but on my initial take-off, i think it's my "power-down" stage, my legs go rigid, to get more power into the springs.

I'll get some vids up asap, I hope - I've got one of me and my mate mucking about up on youtube just now - took it last week.
We decided to pretend we were crabs...  :-[

Watch this space, folks!

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 02:10:46 PM »
I've always been a bit lacking in the commonsense department, so actually getting confidence to do them isn't really a problem.  ;)

Too little self confidence can slow progression...too much can be dangerious.

Offline Joe Legg

• What goes up! Must come down!
    • www.PushYourLimits.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 02:15:34 PM »
I've always been a bit lacking in the commonsense department, so actually getting confidence to do them isn't really a problem.  ;)

Too little self confidence can slow progression...too much can be dangerious.

yeah i can 2nd that. it hurts alot. (1 of my back to back attempt didnt go to well)

E-Mail: joe@pushyourlimits.co.uk
Latest Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3mB5yxMHjE

Offline MrRoo

• My Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 02:24:36 PM »
My main concern isn't so much landing and ending up with a big owie... :P
It's more, landing and looking like a fool!  :laugh:

In all seriousness, though, I probably won't get to flips anytime in the next month, as I'm going to busy with Uni exams, moving back home, and then catching up with my friends - so whereas I'll be bouncing most days, I'll be too busy to actually focus on the flips. I'm looking for info, I guess, on howto, as opposed to whento.

And I've already checked the swebounce site, it was quite helpful. :)

Any advice for any other tricks?
Watch this space, folks!

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 02:26:49 PM »
Theres some tricking tutorials from UrbanTricker here http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?action=gallery;cat=14

Offline MrRoo

• My Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 03:27:01 PM »
Awesome! cheers!

Doubt I'd go for the side-flip until I could manage the others, though!  :o
Watch this space, folks!

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 04:45:31 PM »
when you feel ready to do it you'll know, you may just feel you have the perfect height or see the landing at the right time, it was how it worked for me but as everyone is saying be safe

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 07:35:49 PM »
It may seem obvious but once you are ready to attempt ensure that you can progress steadily and use crash mats. Others are better experienced to provide the how to but take it a step at a time. Bocks are heavy and significantly change your centre of gravity.

Also do not attempt without having someone with you to spot or help if things do not quite go right.
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 09:00:58 PM »
I feel kinda sorry for you because your very first post said that you don't have access to gyms or crash mats, then most everyone tells you to use a crash mat. :D lol.

And indeed, it would be best if you could find such facilities and equipment. If you're feeling rich you could buy it. Mats average £100 on the internet. Or you could try using a matress or blow-up matress (for easier portability).

If you can drive to the coast or you're not adverse to jumping over a few fences, you might want to find a beach or a long jump sand pit. :)

Before you take your flips to bocks. I too would definitely advise getting them dialled without them. You say you used to be able to do them. Keep practicing until you can land them 99% of the time. And do it on your friends trampoline first. If you don't know the proper technique, I'll give you tips later... when you're ready to try them... like you said, you've got other things to do at the moment.

When you do finally try, you'll find the initial part of the rotation harder because of the extra weight, but once you've actually initialised the spin, this same weight will increase your speed of rotation. So it feels weird at first, but it's no more difficult than a normal flip.

So... the main tips there were to keep looking for a gym. If you can't find one, perhaps buy a crash mat, or use a matress, air bed, or sandpit/beach. Learn them without bocks first, on a trampoline, then flat ground, and finally progress to performing them on bocks.

And remember to use pads. ;)

...Sorry for writing so much. :(

Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 09:02:19 PM »
As I can see that no amount of cautioning is going to dampen your enthusiasm Roo  :haha: there is one piece of very important advice that I can give you

Before you do anything at all turn the video camera on it won't help in any way if things go really baddly wrong  but at least we'll all get a good laugh and the £250 from YBFramed will pay towards the hospital fees/funeral costs  :haha:

Only joking mate take care and why not get yourself along to one of the gym meets or if you are to far away find a gym and start your own meet (crash mats are really nice I should know  :haha:)

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline MrRoo

• My Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 09:37:40 PM »
@Brendan - Don't worry about writing so much, I'm a bit of a keyboard-warrior myself! Aye, I actually hail from a wee fishing village that consists of a harbour, two beaches, and a promenade!  :D So, I'll probably nip down to the beach and bounce along the dunes - won't the sand affect the stilts, though?  ??? Also - is it possible to get as good a bounce on sand as it is on, say, concrete/wooden floor/etc.?

I'm basically hoping to start flipping between June and August, as I'll be home that whole time, working at night, and bocking at light!

@Jason - I'll get the video camera going, don't worry!  :laugh: I'll keep videoing, and then switch it off just before I manage the flip.  ;) Undisputed evidence, obviously! :P

@ALL :D - I've asked the gym at my uni for access to the hall, and to borrow some gymnastics mats for bouncing on, and crash mats for landing on. However, I was also looking online at buying my own crash mats, they're £250 for a decent one! even e-bay and gumtree proved fruitless! Normally, I don't play the "poor student" card, but... I'm a student, and I got bills to pay! I get £1200 at the start of June, and I have to pay £800 rent, plus car insurance, plus petrol, plus food... :(

Also: I'm much too far away [Edinburgh] to attend most of your gym meets, but thanks for the offers!  :)

[Feel better, Brendan - I'm sure this is as long as, if not longer than, your post!  :P]
Watch this space, folks!

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 11:06:11 PM »
Yeah, sand could affect your bocks so avoid the dunes. Loose sand could potentially damage working parts. But lots of people do bock on the flat sand and you'll find lots of vids showing this. It would be best not to flip on sand if you know you're going to bail and cover your bocks in sand. But it would be worth doing it there as a safety precaution when you think you'll probably land it. Just give them a good clean afterwards. But dunes are fantastic for practicing flips without your bocks. ;D I envy you!
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline T10HJS

• Forum For VAG Enthusiasts
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 06:53:38 AM »
Ive had my bocks just over a week and would realy like to flip, but i value my life a bit more so will be trying to go to the local gym and got on the mats and have a spotter, i have no previous experience but luckally have my own trampoline so will have a go on that first

Offline Athoul

• PJF Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 08:03:52 AM »
To be honest if you have had your bocks only a week your not ready to flip, just work on getting your jumping technique perfected and some tricks.

I keep saying this but people nowadays are rushing into flips just like its learning a split kick, unless you have previous gymnastic/trampolining experience you will find it very hard without lots of trying and failing in a gym with crash mats.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 11:39:14 PM »
Agree with athoul....Smashed up back not good...

Offline T10HJS

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 12:22:49 AM »
To be honest if you have had your bocks only a week your not ready to flip, just work on getting your jumping technique perfected and some tricks.

I keep saying this but people nowadays are rushing into flips just like its learning a split kick, unless you have previous gymnastic/trampolining experience you will find it very hard without lots of trying and failing in a gym with crash mats.

Heres my thread with a few tricks http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2289.msg31951#msg31951 not doing to bad for 1 week of bocking, i can jump even higher since thoes pics were taken.
Im also getting full compression so i guess i have a good technique.

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 09:33:57 AM »
You seem very confident of your own ability. I don't doubt you ability at all but you just have to be aware of the minds power especially with conifdence. It can work ina  few ways...

1)unconscious incompetance (don't know that you can't do it)

2)conscious incompetance (know that you can't do it)

3)conscious competance (know that you can do it)

4)unconscious competance (can do it without thinking about it)

At the moment I would say that you are at 3. conscious competance. You know what you can do. But you are very very confident and I think it could carry you into 1. unconscious incompetance. You don't know what you will and wont be able to do but because you are very confident and sure (not a bad thing in most circumstances) you could be putting yourself in danger.

Offline T10HJS

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 10:12:05 AM »
Im not sure if that was directed at me Spud, but i know flipping is a very big step that needs a lot of precauction and isnt something i would try with out a spotter and matts, as i like living  :banana: