Author Topic: Break-falls.  (Read 13500 times)

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
Break-falls.
« on: June 04, 2008, 04:50:10 PM »
If you've done any kind of martial art before you'll probably know what a breakfall is. But if you don't, I think it's something all bockers should spend some time learning.

A breakfall (the most commonly used form of which is a roll) is used to redistribute the energy of an impact, incurred during a fall, to prevent injury. When you fall, instead of shooting your hands out infront of you (an automatic response for most people) and hoping your wrist guards will prevent a break, you instead go into a roll or strike the ground with the whole forearm to spread the force over a greater surface area.

A good roll will eliminate almost all of the impact force by transfering the downward force of the fall into forward momentum. If you start to fall forwards (and are unable to regain your balance) put one or both arms out infront of you, but do not attempt to take the impact with your palms. Instead, as you near the ground, pull your right arm towards your left hip (or left arm to right hip), tuck your chin into your chest, and roll over the right shoulder and diagonally along your back in a tucked ball position. ...this is usually the point where I'd say tuck in one leg to roll up onto your feet. But that may prove difficult on bocks. The direction of this roll is forwards, however, it is not a forward roll, nor a roll on your side. If the ground were dirty, it would leave a diagonal mark trailing from the back of your right shoulder to your left hip (or left shoulder to right hip depending on which arm you rolled with).

This technique could save you from some very nasty injuries. Here is an example of someone using it on Bocks. It's not perfect. But definitely an example of a bad injury being avoided thanks to a breakfall.

&NR=1

Recap:

Practice this without bocks before you do it on them. When you progress to bocks I suggest you use a crashmat at first. You should learn to roll with both sides, but this example assumes you are using your right side.

1) As you begin to fall, put your right arm out infront of you. This arm acts as a guide and may contact the floor, but it is not intended to catch you so do not place your palm on the floor (that could break your wrist).

2) As you near the ground, pull the right arm in towards your left hip, keeping your right shoulder tucked in to prevent it from hitting the ground.

3) Tuck your chin in to your chest and begin to tuck into a ball shape.

4) First contact with the ground should either be very lightly with the right arm, or better yet with the back of the right shoulder.

5) Now stay tucked and roll diagonally along your back.

6) It is unlikey that you will be able to roll up onto your feet when on bocks, so at the point where you would usually do this, instead just be sure to keep you knees and legs out of the way, so you don't knee yourself in the face. Do not untuck from your ball shape to soon as you will hurt the bottom of your spine or left hip. Stay in your tight tucked position to achieve a smooth transition.

Performing this technique on bocks may be scary at first. But it is essential that you drill it over and over in order for it to become instinctual when you actually need it. You'll know when you have the technique correct because it won't hurt, even on concrete.

Hope this was useful. If you like, I'll make a tutorial when my camera starts working again.

Sorry to those that found it boring yet have a compulsion to read things to the end once they've started! ;D lol.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 03:38:17 PM by Brendan (NeoNinja) »
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
Re: Break-falls.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 05:30:55 PM »
Well done very good post.

I am familiar with the technique but still found it informative.

key issue for me is in the twisting motion, the weight of the bocks creates a small amount of inertia that can lead towards getting your legs tangled. I tend to roll into the technique but cannot continue the complete motion so it is not so pronounced a forward tuck, still works for me  ;D
Grow old disgracefully

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 05:37:02 PM »
I think the only problem with breakfalls is doing it enough to get it natural. It'll definately help, but when you're running at 18mph and take a slide your first instinct is to put your arms out and stop yourself, not think about doing a breakfall, and it's that barrier you have to get over.
I think doing Judo for 8 years managed to just about drill this into my head, I did one without thinking when I went down whilst running last week and came out of it without any damage at all, but I've gone down before and because of the speed I was moving and what else was going on around me I totally forgot to do one and wiped out and came out with quite a bit of damage.

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 05:46:48 PM »
That's exactly right Sprog. You need to do it countless times for it to become instinctual... well, not countless exactly. The SAS came up with a figure but I've forgotten it. :P

Forgetting minor scr***es, breakfalls have at least saved me from potentially bone-breaking falls on my blades, and may have saved me from a broken neck with my motorbike accident.

Breakfalls for the win! ;D

Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 06:45:30 PM »
I guess this is the same kind of thingg as in rugby, ie you go down on your knee, then hip, then shoulder each bit taking a little bit of the force of the fall? Anyhoo, i feel i tend to do a kind of natural role thing after a fall from running, bit like i do when skiing, except then my bindings come off.... :)

Offline castlevania1995

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 06:56:12 PM »
I often do break-falls so I wont get injured. It now pretty much goes automatic :P

I was once cycling when my steer fell off ( ??? >:( ???). It could have been a very painfull crash but I automaticly jumped off my bicycle and made two rolls (I was going very fast) and I didnt have a single scratch!?! couldn't say that about my bike though  ;D
(later I tried to show my friend what I did and fell very painfully, while I was trying to do the same :biggrin:)

If you can master this technique on bocks it will really help.

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 08:30:27 PM »
I guess this is the same kind of thingg as in rugby, ie you go down on your knee, then hip, then shoulder each bit taking a little bit of the force of the fall?

Not quite, those body parts were all joints. And one of the main objectives of a breakfall is to protect the joints, therefore breakfalls don't involve landing on them. But glad to know that you and so many others already use this, or a similar technique. :)

Bock safely people. ;)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 10:24:40 PM »
Nice one Brendan

I think I need to learn this as I tend to bruise a lot while bocking  :haha:

But seriously is there a chance that you could video a couple of exercises (with comentrys) to teach people the moves and post them on here as this would help a lot of people we could even start a sort of self defence against falling section

Also it might be something worth teaching and practicing at the gym meets

Jason  :Hoofies2:

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 10:55:30 PM »
Unfortunately I'm having trouble getting my camera clips to work on the editing software... but as soon as I get it working, or as soon as someone else offers to film me I'll do one. :) I'll probably have to do it in a gym though because I can't bring myself to scratch up brand new bocks by deliberately falling over outside! :D lol.

Til then. You'll find plenty of vids on youtube by typing Breakfalls or Breakfall Tutorial. This was one was the first to pop up when I typed that. The students are of different grades so there are some good examples and bad examples. The guy in the red and white striped belt is the Senpai (master). This comes after Sensei (teacher). So his form should be pretty good. You'll notice that they slap the mat with every technique, even during the roll. It's not necessary to do this on the roll, but most clubs teach it anyway. This slap may sound painful but you'll notice they use the whole of their arm to disserpate the energy. They do not hit the floor with joints such as the elbow.

The diving breakfall at 3 minutes into the vid is the one you will use most often when falling forwards. Possiblly after over-rotating a front tuck for example as in the video posted earlier. The Senpai performs a good one. Notice how his arm is out to guide his motion but he does not place the flat of his hand on the floor (as this can injur your wrist).

The guy who goes after him (at 3:15) provides a bad example. It looks more like a forward roll and he places his hands flat on the ground. The guy in the green T-shirt neglects to keep a tucked ball shape, which could have hurt his hip and spine on a hard floor.

Wow....

This next guy is really good. A completely different technique and not as relevant to bocking, but had to post it because I'm so impressed! :) lol. Look how he rolls down his arm then along his back with one fluid movement. So at no point is there a sudden shock to any body part. It's soft and silent. He does on occasion put his hand down. But due to the fluid technique he does not receive any sudden shock or over loading on the wrist. God he's so quiet! :)

&NR=1

And finally, a fairly high one. This is the most similar to how you'll have to do them because of the height and bounce of the bocks. Again, really nice technique. The arm guides the roll and contacts the ground first, but at no point does it impact the ground hard. Thus the joints are not overloaded. :)

&feature=related
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 11:44:49 PM by Brendan (NeoNinja) »

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 11:12:53 PM »
I think I need to learn this as I tend to bruise a lot while bocking  :haha:
We know that! ;)

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 11:45:34 PM »
lol... and ouch! :P

Offline Greggles

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • BOCK IT AND ROCK IT
    • www.eabockers.com
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 12:09:22 AM »
i was out in france lats year and my grandads frend had a moterbike and i got it up to about 40 or 45 in a feild and i hit a pot hole my first reaction was jump off and role and i think i did a brake fall at first but then roled on my side about 10 times then the spead that i was going at in the role flung me back up on to my feet then fell over coz i was dizzy :D and i only had a scratch up my arm wich i could say the same bout the bike but i got up went over to my frend that was with me and sed WOW I WANNA DO THAT AGEN

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 01:03:04 AM »
Greg = Nutter ;D Love it!

Dark Knight

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 01:51:51 AM »
I think the only problem with breakfalls is doing it enough to get it natural. It'll definately help, but when you're running at 18mph and take a slide your first instinct is to put your arms out and stop yourself, not think about doing a breakfall, and it's that barrier you have to get over.
I high-walled off a motorbike at over 40mph. I landed on my back feet from my bike and put my arm out to stop me rolling over. Raced my sliding bike down the road still on my back before getting back up and jumping on my bike and went to work !
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 01:54:17 AM by Dark Knight »

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 09:50:59 AM »
Is that true because stuff like that can happen.

Once a guy got into a spin in a glider (puch for those who know) he could nto recover and decided to bail out. he jumped and he smashed into the wing while it was rotating. It chucked him back into the c*ckpit and him hitting it was enough to stop the spin. He flew as normal minus a canopy and landed without any injuries other than a bruise or two.

Thats a lucky guy

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 01:25:07 PM »
LOL ;D I completely misinterpreted this the first time I read it... only for a second or two,
but I took it to mean you fell from your bike and landed on your back feet! ...as in hind feet. ;D

I landed on my back feet from my bike

I was like, what?! Is DK a dog or something? ;D Before realising you fell onto your back,
landing many inches away from your bike. :) Cool story. Must be a pretty tough bike! :)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 09:21:55 PM »
Nice vids Brendan Thanks mate

And thanks for that photo Sprog  :biggrin: the bruise has spread now (2 weeks after done) and now goes all the way round my leg right round to my  :censored:  :haha: looks like I've tried to pull my leg off  :biggrin:

I did once write off a car with my old motorbike and then rode it home (sharp edge on the smashed clutch lever cut the rear roof support pillar in half) oh boy was the guy driving it pi**ed off  :biggrin:

Out with the crash mats and try those new moves  :biggrin:

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline Sx Nutta

• Elite Member
  • No Brains Required
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 07:27:05 PM »
Jason, some people need to try and hit the crash mats, lol not mentioning any names, lol  :scool:

Fire is good!
But Fire is better when you are spinning or breathing it!
Burn Scars are for life!
Chicks dig dudes with cool burn scars!

Offline rickbicker26

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 08:23:27 PM »
i've learnt to break fall as i use to do aikido.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 09:54:38 PM by rickbicker26 »

Offline Jack

• EA Bocker
    • www.eabockers.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 09:54:02 PM »
nice post

i may have to try that

Jack