Author Topic: Committing to attend events  (Read 9343 times)

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
Committing to attend events
« on: June 08, 2008, 06:22:05 PM »
Today sunday was a great day for bocking, A number of bockers had been asked if they wanted to attend the Shefford Gala. 10 indicated they would attend. On the day only 2 turned up.

I know Joe had been fielding calls from the organiser for weeks and had kept promising her that there would be a group.

The day went very well for those of us that turned up, thanks Joe for the effort involved. The orgainsers have asked us if we want to be there next year.

Now to the b***hing bit

It seems at present that if you organise an event approx 50% of those who say they will turn up attend. This is fine if it is just a meet where attendance is optional. However when people have organised events I think this is not acceptable.

If you make a commitment to attend an event that has either cost money to stage or is promoting bocking then you should attend barring serious problems. At the very least you should be advising the organiser if for emergency reasons you cannot attend.

If Jester & I had not joined Joe today I am sure you can work out what the organisers would have thought about bockers.

I do not want to paint all bockers with the same brush as this would be unfair, however I feel the point needs to be made. A young man made an effort to organise a day out and was let down.
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
Re: Committing to attend events
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 06:33:43 PM »
I feel your pain clive and its an excellent point. Not an easy solution springs to mind either.

Dark Knight

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 06:53:41 PM »
I feel your pain clive and its an excellent point. Not an easy solution springs to mind either.
With no transport I'm stuck in Boston on Sundays  :'(

One solution would be to find a freindly bocker with a cars and offer to share costs, that way the driver gets there cheaper and the others get a cheap taxi  :thumbs:

Thing is some area's are not well covered so if you lose one person it could be a low turn out just where we need them most  :(
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 06:56:11 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 06:56:15 PM »
Agree Matt

There is no easy solution but having the mind set that i have promised to attend so I will would go a long way. I just feel that a commitment, a yes I will be there should mean something not yes i`ll be there (but if something better happens I won`t)

In other sports clubs annual subscriptions with individual session training fees normally apply which goes a long way to solving the problems of venue costs for training etc. We are a long way from that at present however i am thinking of asking for money for events before they take place to ensure I do not take a cost hit.
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 06:58:59 PM »
DK Shefford is just of the A1 past Bedford. So should not be an arduous trek. I understand transport is an issue for younger bockers and that group working is probably the only way around this.

Still means sorting your transport etc to ensure you can get or letting the organiser know in plenty of time. Not just not turning up
Grow old disgracefully

Dark Knight

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 07:09:48 PM »
The other week Do.It.On brought a lad with him to Skegness and took him for just £5 which was good of him as his cost was more than that  :)

We older Bockers with transport should accept we need to help out the younger members with transport  :-\

The drivers could push them to come and they could push drivers to go to meets :)

Offline English-tailor

• Elite Member
  • Piste off MoFo's
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 07:44:24 PM »
When I was in the UK, I travelled 100's of miles to get to meets. Ocassionally I got lifts from other bockers but usually it was up to me to sort out my own public transport. It's not difficult ( other than when we had floods and I was stook in Cheltenham overnight). Now I know some of you will say but the younger members cant afford it. If thats the case then they should only put their names down if they are sure they can get to an event.

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 08:04:45 PM »
Its not a transport issue though. The problem is people indicating they will attend and event or meet because it sounds like an enjoyable time. Then, when the event comes round, they dont bother showing. To me, that's simply not good enough, even at an ordinary meet because there is always someone organising a meet which can take up a lot of time, man power and in some cases money.

When we came up to lincoln I made it clear to the welshies that if we hire a minibus, its going to cost over 200 quid so even if 1 or 2 drop out it is going to have disasterous consequences. Fortunately none did and it was happy days. We're planning a similar thing to bradford shortly, but even organising it within my own group, the danger is always there.

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 08:36:36 PM »
Understand Locky, really appreciated that you all made the effort and contributed to a great time.

let me know when you are going to Bradford, will try to get there also
Grow old disgracefully

Dark Knight

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 06:26:01 AM »
Its not a transport issue though. The problem is people indicating they will attend and event or meet because it sounds like an enjoyable time. Then, when the event comes round, they dont bother showing. To me, that's simply not good enough, even at an ordinary meet because there is always someone organising a meet which can take up a lot of time, man power and in some cases money.
Maybe if there was a way to lock names of people who say they are coming ( they could edit post ) then if they don't show we can see them.
Should you keep doing this then we can see who you can trust !

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 02:55:16 AM »
And my word shall be my bond.....The pen is indeed mightier than the sword,yet the other side of the coin yeilds but a fruitless notion....There's a point in there somewhere.... :biggrin:

Dark Knight

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 06:26:11 AM »
This Thursday I said I would go to a meet.
It's only 10 miles away from me but it's 6 - 8 pm and I have to push bike at least half way.
At the time a said I'd go I had hoped a bus would be an option but I plan to go !

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 09:57:54 AM »
You do more than 10 miles on yoor bocks!?! Marathon training?

Dark Knight

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 12:15:36 PM »
Not heard back from them  :-\
Still if they don't I try again in free draw for the next year.

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 12:23:48 PM »

They should at least get back to you!! It's just rude if they dont. I hope you get your place or get lucky!

Dark Knight

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 12:32:13 PM »

They should at least get back to you!! It's just rude if they dont. I hope you get your place or get lucky!
I meant free draw for THE NEXT years 1/2 the draw places go in first 2 weeks and rest go in the next 4  :(

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 12:41:08 PM »

Yea..I just hope you get to do it  :thumbs: Hope it is the next one tho whenever that is lol.
I meant free draw for THE NEXT years 1/2 the draw places go in first 2 weeks and rest go in the next 4  :(

Dark Knight

Committing to attend events
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 05:50:48 PM »
When you commite to attend event you should take inaccount any problems you may have ?
It's not just the dates but travel.

There's no buses sundays and with no car it's 5 miles bike ride to the train station so it would be hard to get to sunday meets. I kicking myself all the meets I missing but if I can't get there I can't commite   :(