Author Topic: How many layers?  (Read 3669 times)

Offline PowerJoe

How many layers?
« on: June 14, 2008, 09:37:41 PM »
I will soon have a roll of hockey tape to tape my springs and i was wondering; How many layers of tape should i use for each spring? What do you recommend?

Thanks
Joe

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
Re: How many layers?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 09:43:28 PM »
one

Offline Athoul

• PJF Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 09:45:53 PM »
Personally I'd first get a bike inner tube and wrap this around the spring and then put one or two layers of tape over that.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Offline PowerJoe

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 03:51:24 PM »
short and sweet advice, thanks :)

Personally I'd first get a bike inner tube and wrap this around the spring and then put one or two layers of tape over that.

Around the spring? Does that mean taking the spring out of the frame, then putting the inner tube around it, then placing it all back in the frame? Ive heard of placing a bike tyre around the outside of it all, but never this ???

Thanks
Joe

Dark Knight

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 05:02:37 PM »
If you remove the spring from the top only you'll find it easier to tape up.

I removed my plastic as it got so bad. I wr***ed cling film over the spring put loads of layers of tape on it. The film stops the tape sticking onto the spring and it doesn't matter how many layers the spring still flexes  :thumbs:

Offline Athoul

• PJF Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 05:52:28 PM »

Around the spring? Does that mean taking the spring out of the frame, then putting the inner tube around it, then placing it all back in the frame? Ive heard of placing a bike tyre around the outside of it all, but never this ???

Thanks
Joe

You don't have to take the spring off to do this but can if you want.

Get a bike inner tube and measure it up againsts the spring should be less than half of the inner tube.

Get a pair of sissors and cut the inner tube so you now have a tube with holes at either end.

Cut down the length of the inner tube and then put it over the spring.

Wrap a bit of tape around at the top, bottom and middle just to keep the inner tube in place.

Fully tape over it with your hockey tape.

Hope that makes sense  :)
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Offline PowerJoe

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 03:06:24 PM »
Hope that makes sense  :)

Yes it does, thanks