Author Topic: Brand spankin' right out of the box...  (Read 3552 times)

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
Brand spankin' right out of the box...
« on: June 19, 2008, 12:45:08 AM »
Finally got 'em...Carefully unpacked my new bocks,flipped through the manual I've been reading all week (downloaded the PDF),checked the fasteners were all tight,plonked on me knee pads and wrist guards,tightened up the bindings and then stood up,got my balance,walked around the bedroom for bit(biggest room in our gaff),took'em off,adjusted the knee bars down a couple of inches so I could bend my legs a bit more(still not right yet) and then went out into the yard for muck about....Bit disapponted to hear lots of sqeaking and clanking for an hour and then I fell over :biggrin:.....Anyways,to make a short story a bit longer,I pulled a couple of the pivot bolts to find that they were bone dry(sqeaky) and further inspection showed that some were too loose(clanking).A bit of silicone grease, some tinkering,and they're now as smooth as silk. Probably voided the warranty but it needed to be done....I'm not actually suggesting you do this(I'm good with spanners!),but it's worth giving 'em a check over and then giving Projump a call to see if you may invalidate the warranty by making any adjustments. :thumbs: And use a better quality 5mm Allen key. The one that comes with new PJs is as soft as cat poo(NOT Projump's fault,just crappy free tools) and you'll land up rounding out the sockets on the Allen bolts. Apart from the little niggly bits, I'm really pleased with my new stilts.Well worth the money! :biggrin:

-Nobby
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 12:54:59 AM by Nobby »

Offline Athoul

• PJF Contributor
Re: Brand spankin' right out of the box...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 10:53:40 AM »
.....Anyways,to make a short story a bit longer,I pulled a couple of the pivot bolts to find that they were bone dry(sqeaky) and further inspection showed that some were too loose(clanking).A bit of silicone grease, some tinkering,and they're now as smooth as silk. Probably voided the warranty but it needed to be done....I'm not actually suggesting you do this(I'm good with spanners!),but it's worth giving 'em a check over and then giving Projump a call to see if you may invalidate the warranty by making any adjustments.

I'm certain that taking them apart doesn't void the warranty otherwise how could you replace broken parts?

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:38:28 PM »
.....Anyways,to make a short story a bit longer,I pulled a couple of the pivot bolts to find that they were bone dry(sqeaky) and further inspection showed that some were too loose(clanking).A bit of silicone grease, some tinkering,and they're now as smooth as silk. Probably voided the warranty but it needed to be done....I'm not actually suggesting you do this(I'm good with spanners!),but it's worth giving 'em a check over and then giving Projump a call to see if you may invalidate the warranty by making any adjustments.

I'm certain that taking them apart doesn't void the warranty otherwise how could you replace broken parts?

Have a look a page 8....http://www.projump.co.uk/ProJump-Online-Manual.pdf

Grey area maybe Athoul?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 06:03:52 PM by Nobby »

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 01:45:05 PM »
I think projump have put that there to just cover thier butts legally...but they are not stupid. Many mods and things help the bocks and improve life of the parts. It would be crazy and expensive if everytime you got a little problem you had to send them away to be sorted..especially if under warrenty at thier cost. They are understanding.

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 07:46:04 PM »
Spose in this day and age covering all the bases has to be done....Like I said,prolly best to call 'em and make sure that what you're planning on doing won't upset the apple cart. Personally I'm not that fussed about warranty claims,I'll buy new parts as required,but some may not be able to afford this way of thinking.....Of course I'm not saying that PJ would'nt honour their obligation as far as warranty claims go, but it's not unknown for people land up out of pocket on a technicality....I'm also not trying to start some furious debate.Merely one of those "observations" I'm already famous for! :biggrin: :biggrin:

-Nobby