Author Topic: Advice needed 12 mile run using pro jump  (Read 6033 times)

Offline Troy

Advice needed 12 mile run using pro jump
« on: June 27, 2008, 03:01:07 PM »
Hi,

A few colegue at work are planning a Lake vyrnwy (big lake in Wales) challenge. We are all goign to use different modes of transport to get around lake vyrnwy (approx. 13 mile). We have uni-cycle, roller blades, running, sailing and biking so far.

I was look at using some pro jump stilts. As I have never even touched a pair of them I was wondering is this a sensible idea?

We are planning on doing it in September. It is 13 miles, luckily it is mostly falt.

Is it possible to got that sort of distance, do I have enough time to train up to that level, and any advice on what to buy. From the forum it looks like the M90 as I weight about 12.5 stone.

Thanks in advance for you help

Troy

Offline Athoul

• PJF Contributor
Re: Advice needed 12 mile run using pro jump
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 03:14:24 PM »
It could be possible with some serious training, but i think you'd have to give up the day job to get the number of hours of training you would need.

Running in bocks is much more tiring due to each one weighing around 4-5kg.

About 20 of us did the 10km walk for life in London a month or so ago and many poeple found this very tiring and hard work and it was only a walk and not running as you plan to do.

Many people buy these for running and then give up and just enjoy the jumping and tricking side of the sport.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 03:18:39 PM »
It's not a crazy idea.

You could be walking on this within about half an hour and running not long after. The fact you have never been on them isnt really a problem.

But I will say this...I doubt very much that you will be able to run the challenge thing on these. Walk it yes but despite how it seems it is actually harder work to run on these to run on foot. Its exhausting in fact. But if you trained loads and loads you could walk it.

You said the ground is flat. Thats good but the most important thing is the surface, anything loose or dusty isnt good for grip, nor are smooth wet surfaces. Its something you need to think about.

You would need to train lots and lots but I think you can do it.

Thanks to google I just got your wieght in KG. Stones arnt really that helpful on here unless somebody is the same weight as you. Its about 80kg. You could go for M90's or M100's. The harder spring will make it harder for jumping but probaly easier for running and better in the long run for when you get better..but it will be a bit harder for learning.

But as athoul said you would need to train really really really hard to do it.

Dark Knight

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 06:28:46 PM »
Has someone training to run 26 miles 385 yards ( I'll leave you to work that out  ;) ) 13 miles wouldn't be that hard but ...
You would need strong leg mussels has the weight of these are like jogging in Dr Martens boots !
Unlease your fit I think you'll find it a little hard most people do more bouncing the running but most poeple would think 13 miles is a long way ?

SPUD did do at least 7 miles in Spalding which doesn't include all the dancing we did  :banana:
SPUD could you do 13 miles ?

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 06:37:50 PM »

SPUD did do at least 7 miles in Spalding which doesn't include all the dancing we did  :banana:
SPUD could you do 13 miles ?

I think the 7 miles thing is about right. But it was a hard day. I could maybe do it if there wasnt loads of time presures all the time and no stressful traveling before hand.

Was a very stressful day and it was boiling too. But yea. I think I could do it. If I had all day and trained a bit.

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 06:40:19 PM »
Agree with everything said so far. I hoped to do a 3k run but after training for 3 weeks saw that it was not possible for me to run it all.

I am a little less fit than some of you which doesn`t help. I found that after about  5/800 metre i began to tire. This led to me running technically poor and either not picking up my feet or catching the springs together.

You would be able to run/walk but probably not run all the way round.
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 09:54:32 PM »
At Children in need some of us were on them all day and I recon between the initial walking and the trip back to Trafalgar Sq and then back to Covent Garden and home + a 3 mile walk from the station on them to home I must have done 10+ miles with very little training

After Walk for life I was tired but could have gone on so concidering I had done vey little training for a couple of weeks before and had a very bad fall the weekend before (Still a swelling the size of my hand 4 weeks after ) I think that with a bit of training and a Run/Walk/Run/Walk attitude you should do it with very little problem

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 02:14:13 AM »
Running 12 miles with an exrta 16 pounds strapped to your legs is gonna tax anyone...Had a few of my pals try my stilts and they're as knackered as I am after 15 minutes...Not just me that's totally  unfit! :biggrin:

Dark Knight

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 06:20:31 AM »
Running 12 miles with an exrta 16 pounds strapped to your legs is gonna tax anyone...Had a few of my pals try my stilts and they're as knackered as I am after 15 minutes...Not just me that's totally  unfit! :biggrin:
Not everyone  :nana:

Offline Troy

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 05:48:41 PM »
So the feeling I'm getting it that if I was to comit to running it I should be committed into a metal home. Especially as I am the sort of person who gets tired running a bath.

Walking it however should be possible, walking 13 miles now(without stilts) wouldn't phase me. So walking 13 miles with 5kg on each foot would represent a challenge.

Troy

Dark Knight

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 06:16:17 PM »
One thing you'll find is the spring will get softer by the time you finish, so you should start with a stiff pair !?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 07:21:38 PM »
It would be interesting to see how long someone who could run a marathon without Bocks could last at a steady jog on Bocks

In theory distance shouldn't be a problem as I can run a lot further on Bocks than I can without them but I never could run anyway

Dark Knight

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 08:01:20 PM »
It would be interesting to see how long someone who could run a marathon without Bocks could last at a steady jog on Bocks

In theory distance shouldn't be a problem as I can run a lot further on Bocks than I can without them but I never could run anyway

Shame St.Johns not got back to me !?
You could have seen how someone who COULDN'T run a marathon without stilts could last at a steady jog on bocks  :Dark_Knight: