Author Topic: Am I doing this right?  (Read 10897 times)

Offline Old git Neil

Am I doing this right?
« on: July 30, 2008, 08:58:54 PM »
 :Straddle5:
Hi all,
Now as my name suggests I'm no spring chicken, so I don't have any mate's close who uses jumping stilts. I've had mine for about two weeks now, they are second hand but not had a massive amount of use as the previous owner kept hitting the springs at the back and falling over. I've spent about 20 minutes a day on them and can walk, run, hop from leg to leg, and stand with out any help from the floor. Now my problem is, I of course want to be able to jump, I have read a few of the previous posts and think I've followed them but I still only seem to get about 1 to 1 and a half foot clear of the floor! I am not sure I've understood every thing people have said, as when I land I try and push down through my heals and then jump up straight after but all this has done was hurt my back a little. (Old git....) Am I trying to hard or just expecting to much too soon?  I'm 80kg and have M80 Powerizers so should be ok for easy learning I thought,, right?? Please help guy's us olden's like to have fun too.

Offline Athoul

• PJF Contributor
Re: Am I doing this right?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 09:01:05 PM »
Tis just practice, keep at it and you will improve  :)
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 09:37:27 PM »
Tis just practice, keep at it and you will improve  :)

Practice does indeed make perfect Athoul....But then you have the vigour of youth on your side young Jedi....As Neil says,us ol' folks still like to have fun, but you've heard the saying about old dogs and new tricks right ? I can't see myself flipping anytime soon mate. Had my PJ's a while now and I reckon I'd have been better off on lighter springs,I got M80's 'cos I'm close to 70 kilos but I find them hard to compress.....Even after bouncing up and down on them a lot, (hanging on to a wall for dear life! :biggrin:) I still can't/don't bottom out....Maybe I just got a real good set of springs with my PJs or I'm just crap at bocking! Yeah, it's fun nonetheless, but falling over takes it's toll as you get older....Probably not a good idea to bock when you have 2 slipped discs in your back,but I thought what the hell. We only get one crack of the whip an' this ain't a dry run! :biggrin: :thumbs: I'll just "keep at it"....When my back stops hurting.... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

-Nobby

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 09:43:13 PM »
Neil, 1st off Im 44 so no spring chickenat this. Tho luck enuff to know quite a few other bockers about me -athoul actually being amongst the 1st group I met ( i met 1 other individual b4).

A  just dont worry if u havin fun das all that matters --loads around me flip --4ward and bac 1  3 in a row  i cant do any  s'all relative.

1stpost a vid , if u can, of what u r doing

Really i doubt u r doing bad

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 09:51:09 PM »
@ Old Git Neil....There's a group of bockers forming (Erm...slowly... :biggrin:). You might want to join.....They're called the SGB's (Senile Geriatric Bockers)....The member list so far?

Me (Nobby)
Jason (aka Reaper)
Charlie B
Aidanh1 (Not 'cos he's past/having his mid life crisis,just 'cos he's already busted up! :biggrin:)

Wanna join? I'm working on a way to integrate bocks with a Zimmer frame as I type...... :biggrin:

-Nobby

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 09:53:58 PM »
 :haha: :haha: Oi! Mr Unique! Wanna join the SGB's too? You're post mid-life, so you qualify! :biggrin: :biggrin: :thumbs:

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 10:05:49 PM »
ta  but i have enuff probs with the children in the JJ's hehe

Offline Old git Neil

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 10:09:40 PM »
Thank's for the input so far all, Nobby how do I join SGB and whats it about or have you forgotten with that old age of yours?

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 10:25:09 PM »
Thank's for the input so far all, Nobby how do I join SGB and whats it about or have you forgotten with that old age of yours?

What's it all about? Just a few, shall we say, "Mature" bockers having a laugh! :biggrin: To join? A "Peter Pan" outlook is all that's required....I'm kinda hoping Reaper will make us a sub division of the Banned Bockers....Just 'cos we're probably way too old to be bouncing about! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 10:30:11 PM »
ta  but i have enuff probs with the children in the JJ's hehe

Hmm.... The youth of today....Little sods can flip!!!! Imagine how much fun you'd have had if bocks were available when you were 15? :biggrin: :biggrin:

Dark Knight

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 10:57:30 PM »
@ Old Git Neil....There's a group of bockers forming (Erm...slowly... :biggrin:). You might want to join.....They're called the SGB's (Senile Geriatric Bockers)....The member list so far?

Me (Nobby)
Jason (aka Reaper)
Charlie B
Aidanh1 (Not 'cos he's past/having his mid life crisis,just 'cos he's already busted up! :biggrin:)

Wanna join? I'm working on a way to integrate bocks with a Zimmer frame as I type...... :biggrin:

-Nobby

You missed me out  :(

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 08:24:07 AM »
Just takes practice and pain killers !!!!

The trick is to make sure your legs are as stable as possible into and out of the bounce so you get height. Any attempt to flex them (as you would jumping) will kill your momentum. Also try to keep your body as upright as possible.

It took me about 2 months to be able to bounce. I found it easier to control my balance after turfing the kids of the trampoline and practicing getting air on that.

Also found it easier to bounce forward as I was concerneed about going backwards initially. As I got more control this stopped.

It does take time and confidence comes more slowly with age but you have to go for it.

Starting to get adventurous and looking to practice flipping indoors from Sept/Oct so making sure the local hosptial is in the Sat Nav !!
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 09:09:58 PM »
If someone will do me a nice little SGB smiley we could add them after your names on the Banned list

And to simplify it if you fit the SGB criteria you are in the Banned just for being daft enough to Bock at out age  :haha:

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 09:38:19 PM »
Just takes practice and pain killers !!!!

true that!
I also recommend jumping off a couple of steps and trying to keep your height on each bounce.
you say your pushing down with your heels then trying to jump, i dont know if i read it the right way but theres no need to "jump" the stilt will give you back the energy from the bounce and pretty much throw you up, theres no need to try and jump

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 10:47:19 PM »

Me (Nobby)
Jason (aka Reaper)
Charlie B

-Nobby

You missed me out  :(

SGB member list updated as required..

Nobby
Reaper
Charlie B
Aidanh1
Dark Knight
Old Git Neil
Nero (Just 'cos he's now "damaged goods" like the rest of the SGB's :biggrin: :biggrin:)

Now,who's good at smilies??? :biggrin: :biggrin:

-Nobby

« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 10:49:03 PM by Nobby »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 09:48:38 PM »
Carma is the Smiley Queen she did my Hoofies ones so if we all ask he nicely she may do us an SGB one

Jason   :Hoofies2:

Dark Knight

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 10:09:54 PM »
Jason you have one  :Hoofies2:
Spud  :spudT:
and me  :Dark_Knight:
We all have our own all ready 
 :banana::ProJump: :banana:

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 11:00:23 AM »
well its saturday, and as i still cant bock that means its beer and bbq day, but ill throw you a smiley design together for tomorrow or monday

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 11:02:20 AM »
 :spudT: hell yeah! Altho mine is shared with gixer...but lol she doesnt love us anymore. Rache! Norwich meet!

Offline spawnyb

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 12:15:58 AM »
Hi There,   I'm a newbie, and very intrigued about the SGB.

I've only had mine a week, however I have so far managed to stand up, turn round, take 6 steps un-aided and fall over.  I am hoping that at this early stage, and more importantly 42 years of age, I may qualify.   :)

Based near Bath, and waiting for the rain to stop.

Have fun all. 
Hmmmmmmm........Why did I buy these again?!?!?!?

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 08:29:27 AM »
Welcome, it does take a little longer to get into the sport as we find muscles we forgot we had and we also have a large dose of forward thinking. It normally starts out as

" if I try to flip/run/jump etc then what could happen or go wrong"

We then imagine the worst.  Its something the young ones never do tey just go for it.

Take it at your speed, you will get lots of support and get to a couple of gym meets as you will progress hugely
Grow old disgracefully

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 04:37:24 PM »
Welcome, it does take a little longer to get into the sport as we find muscles we forgot we had and we also have a large dose of forward thinking. It normally starts out as

" if I try to flip/run/jump etc then what could happen or go wrong"

We then imagine the worst.  Its something the young ones never do tey just go for it.

Take it at your speed, you will get lots of support and get to a couple of gym meets as you will progress hugely

Lol, Greg said this to a guy who wanted to flip, 5 seconds later, "ooo that thumbs at a weird angle, O, its broken" - gutted  ;)

Offline Mini Ellis

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Mini Ellis <3 Greggles
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 06:59:13 PM »
Whats the WORSE that could happen ? ?   ;D

Mini Ellis xx

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 10:45:42 AM »
A thought

I am organising a full days worth of bocking on 11th October at lincoln from 9:00 am til 3:00 pm

Its indoors so we do not have to worry about getting wet and getting the flu
Mats etc available so there is very little chance of getting hurt

Not sure on costs as of yet somewhere between free and £5 per person

Had 30 bockers the last time I did it

Would be great if we could get all the SGB`s there  :banana:
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2008, 01:53:05 PM »
A thought

I am organising a full days worth of bocking on 11th October at lincoln from 9:00 am til 3:00 pm

Its indoors so we do not have to worry about getting wet and getting the flu
Mats etc available so there is very little chance of getting hurt

Not sure on costs as of yet somewhere between free and £5 per person

Had 30 bockers the last time I did it

Would be great if we could get all the SGB`s there  :banana:

Charlie I'd love to come visit, but I've no holidays left and with the silly season looming,folks wanting christmas prezzies an' all that,funds are tight as well! For me,there's no cheap way to get to lincoln mate!  :'(  :'(

-Nobby