Author Topic: Where we stand at the moment  (Read 4751 times)

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
Where we stand at the moment
« on: August 13, 2008, 01:26:26 AM »
I need to make this post, if only as a courtesy to those travelling to cardiff this weekend. Shortly I will make another post with some more specific details that some people might still need.

Back in November 2007 I emailed cardiff council about capital bocking. I was told the oval basin area is available to hire at the cost of £500 per day and that we need to meet various criteria before a booking could be made. I replied and explained we're not an organisation, just a large group of people. We were not performing or selling anything, just meeting up. I never got a reply back. I had a meeting with a different council department in April this year and we discussed CB. They agreed it sounded very exciting and they were going to discuss it with the events team to see if the council could co-operate with the event. They did stress to me that a meet up of this size MUST be classed as an event, if only for safety reasons. I played along. As months went by I chased for updates and was told meetings were happening but nothing more.
Approx 10 days ago I called up to check everything was ok and in place. It wasnt. Seeking clarification, I was told in no uncertain terms that we need to pay the £500 per day charge or we would be asked to leave. This is where my blood pressure started to rise. After a few talks with the guys in charge I could see they were not budging and we had no way to raise the money in time. Ultimately I took the issue to my local MP and councillor who in turn raised it with the chief executive of Cardiff county council.

In a nutshell, up until 6pm today we were still at risk of turning up and having CB without any authorisation and could even face the risk of being moved on or even arrested for trespassing on council property. The reason I did not make this public knowledge was because a lot of people are travelling with parents etc and I didnt want to start a panic.

Today I have been informed that despite several attempts by high officers in the council, we are not hiring cardiff bay in any way and that the council are considering us a "group of individuals" (sound familiar?). This does mean the meet up can go ahead without the threat of any conflict from the council but it does make a few things difficult for us which I will highlight on the weekend.
The biggest of these is that the basin area will at all time be totally open to the public and we must respect this.
Liability insurance is down to the individual bockers or bocking groups. There will be no official first aiders on site. No free water. No power supply for a PA. Basically, we're just there....kind of like an ordinary weekend out with the welshbockers but with a lot more of you joining us.

I hope this doesnt put anybody off and everyone still comes. It is completely beyond me why the cardiff council do not embrace this event, especially for an activity that is so popular with spectators and strongly promotes outdoor activity for all ages. Personally, I think they are shooting themselves in the foot, but thats cardiff council for you.

As the biggest event in the world thus far, Capital Bocking is extremely important for the growth and future of this sport. It will attract a lot of attention and we need to ensure it is successful in every way possible. We'll only do that with the help from the people who started capital bocking....and thats you, the bockers :)

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
Re: Where we stand at the moment
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 01:44:26 AM »
well i will help in any way i can, and i promise to be a good bocker ;).
but perhaps this slightly unofficialness can take some strain off the already stressed organizers?
it should feel like a big get together in my opinion, not a whole bunch of stress

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline Carma

• Elite Member
  • As Seen On TV - The Bocking Rocker
    • Carma Pet Portraits
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 07:36:18 AM »
I agree. Although the organisers will undoubtidly still be stressed, I just ask you guys to chill a little when the weekend comes. I think most of us want to meet the relaxed and happy main players, not red raced and stressed ones!

From personal experience, I know this is easier said than done. But Locky, Sprog, Becky. Don't chill and I shall beat it into you haha!

-Carma

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 11:19:23 PM »
but perhaps this slightly unofficialness can take some strain off the already stressed organizers?
it should feel like a big get together in my opinion, not a whole bunch of stress

I hope you all understand why I was getting rather stressed in the week now! :D
Matt had worked so hard with the council, and their complete lack of support or help was driving me up the wall :(

As the biggest event in the world thus far, Capital Bocking is extremely important for the growth and future of this sport. It will attract a lot of attention and we need to ensure it is successful in every way possible. We'll only do that with the help from the people who started capital bocking....and thats you, the bockers :)
Your statement is entirely useless as ET started CB and he's not coming :P

All I can say is I am relieved we are now allowed access to the bay, but it is a shame the council were unco-operative. I was even willing to pay out the £1000 from my student loan to hire out the basin for the 2 days, but Matt wouldn't allow me to do that. I hope you all still enjoy the meet, despite this minor blow to our plans :)

Offline Rodamus_Zero

• X-Bocks
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 12:24:43 AM »
What would be needed to actually classify it as an Organised Event, with the whole kit and kabudal? (St Johns, Food Stalls, Water, Power. etc).

It seems to me that where ever I look, its just a gathering of people with no-forementioned "offical" statements of say like... Tv, Radio and Flyers around the world (or just England...) for that matter to say that Capital Bocking is happening. (Maybe next year eh? :P)

But yea, as the others have said, chill down, we know how much this all means to you and everyone else for that matter.
Im pretty sure if the Council does get "unreasonable" and asks us to cough up molla, that the bockers that went, however large or small would donate something towards it. (Do we even have a donation button on the site?).

Hopefully next year it'll be more offical and then you can get proper stressed  :scool:

Needless to say, youve done so well so far for organising how ever youve managed to, dont let the stress get to ya!
We want happy bockers, not moochy ones  :laugh:
Tell Them, Zero is Here.
Team Member of x-b

Dark Knight

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 08:54:20 AM »
There comes a piont when you have to step back and say " I'VE DONE MY BEST ".
You've done a lot of hard work getting CB ready you've sorted as much as you can, something just can't be planed for ?
Trust everyone to help sort any little problems and relax enjoy the weekend with the rest of us.
Don't think you have to heap everyones problem on your self we'll all help where we can.

Where I stand at the moment ...
I'm off in to town for some last minuet shopping then I'll be heading off out for my pick-up and Cardiff here we come  :banana: :banana:

Offline Rodamus_Zero

• X-Bocks
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 12:21:48 PM »
Yay \o/
DK can make it \o/
Tell Them, Zero is Here.
Team Member of x-b