Author Topic: I broke my left bock!!! [Or have I broken it in...???]  (Read 9452 times)

Offline Glasto_Bocker

I broke my left bock!!! [Or have I broken it in...???]
« on: September 08, 2008, 08:49:12 PM »
Hey all/...

I just got back from my first bock in about 2 weeks and all was running smoothly, when suddenly I heard a loud crack in my left bock as the hooves hit the ground on a two-footed jump. Sounded like the fiberglass had shattered or split in two.

I was bocking normally, and although the jump preceding the bounce that cracked was about 1.3 metres high I bounced it normally on hard smooth flat ground on two feet.

Any ideas? I'm really worried, as afterwards the left bock felt all 'soft' and nearly bottomed out each time I put a fair bit of pressure on it. It feels really weird as the right bock is still breaking in and doesn't bounce as much, whereas my left bock now sinks right down when I run.

I walked very slowly after this happened, but soon after tried to jog again, which worked until I heard a second smaller crack, again in the left bock.

Have my bocks broken in? [is this how it's supposed to happen?], or have I somehow fractured the fiberglass spring in my left bock?

I've just examined the bock and it looks normal, although you can't really tell much with the rubber casing around the springs.

Anyhow, I really hope someone can provide some tips!

Cheers,

Kirk

Offline adamessex

Re: I broke my left bock!!! [Or have I broken it in...???]
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 09:03:27 PM »
that sounds like a broken spring to me. I've had it happen no likes to see it or hear it, if you cut the rubber off you'll prob see the damage to the spring
falling is proof your trying

Offline Glasto_Bocker

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 09:10:49 PM »
Oh dear... what if I cut the rubber off to find it isn't broken?

Will Pro-Jumps provide me with replacement springs? I've only had the bocks for about 2 months and I've been using them completely normally. I weigh 65KG and my springs are rated at 80KG [M80].
Also when the crack occurred, I was using them in a perfectly ordinary manner i.e. on smooth, flat solid ground and bouncing properly too...

Offline Jack

• EA Bocker
    • www.eabockers.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 09:39:07 PM »

dont matter if it aint just wrap some electrical tape round it:)

but sounds alot like a broken spring lol

nd pro-jump should repleace it for free i think

Jack

Offline Athoul

• PJF Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 09:41:43 PM »
I agree with Adamessex.

Sounds like you've broken your spring, if you stand on one foot and then stand on the other foot does one spring bend more than the other, if so then its a broken spring.
Take the rubber off and have a look, if it doesn't flex anymore leave the covering on and keep bocking.

Send an email or ring projump and see if the springs will be covered in the warranty (pretty sure they should be)

Also when the crack occurred, I was using them in a perfectly ordinary manner i.e. on smooth, flat solid ground and bouncing properly too...

It often happens like that, there is a guy called Colin in our group who has broken so many springs i've lost count, nearly 100% of the time the springs break just doing a little jump or bounce rather than a really big jump.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Offline Glasto_Bocker

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 09:50:03 PM »
Athoul: Yes your description is spot on. When I stand on my left leg the springs compress a massive amount compared to the right leg which just compresses a small amount as usual.

Sounds like it is a broken bock then. I'll give PJ a call tomorrow. Bit annoying as I have to break them in from the start again.

Will they replace both do you think? As otherwise I'll have disproportionate springs in terms of compression...

Offline Athoul

• PJF Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 09:57:12 PM »
Will they replace both do you think? As otherwise I'll have disproportionate springs in terms of compression...

I very much doubt they will replace both but you can always ask  ;D
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Offline Mini Ellis

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Mini Ellis <3 Greggles
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 10:46:39 PM »

Will Pro-Jumps provide me with replacement springs? I've only had the bocks for about 2 months and I've been using them completely normally. I weigh 65KG and my springs are rated at 80KG [M80].

Heya,

yeah sounds like u might have broken a spring but if pro-jump dont replace them i have some M80s that i have only used a coulpe of times and am willing to sell at a resonable price should you need them.

Mini Ellis xxxx

Offline Glasto_Bocker

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 10:52:26 PM »
Hey Ellis:

-Yeah, thanks for offer. I'll see what happens. If they don't decide to replace them then will be in touch. To be honest though, I'm getting more and more inspired by 7's by the day so may end up selling my PJ's, [either with replaced spring or with springs bought from you] and upgrade to 7's/..

Will let ya know!

Cheers,

Kirk

Offline Mini Ellis

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Mini Ellis <3 Greggles
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 11:01:27 PM »
Hey Ellis:

-Yeah, thanks for offer. I'll see what happens. If they don't decide to replace them then will be in touch. To be honest though, I'm getting more and more inspired by 7's by the day so may end up selling my PJ's, [either with replaced spring or with springs bought from you] and upgrade to 7's/..

Will let ya know!

Cheers,

Kirk

Heya,

yeah i have just got some raptors springs on a powerizer frame but i must admit i do prefer the 7s frame and hoofs as they last longer, and if i had the money i would go all out on some nice shiney raptors =] but if u wanted to sell them depending on price i might have a mate interested

Mini Ellis xxxx

Offline Glasto_Bocker

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 11:09:10 AM »
Cool, thanks. Check your PM's Ellis.

/K.

Offline einkleburt

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 10:29:45 PM »
i had a very similar experience last weekend. The right spring seems to have become too soft to use. I was bouncing about 1 ft up at the time stopped by landing on one foot, and crack, the spring softened. I had only had the pro jumps for 3 weeks and they are quite under rated :me 66kg  springs M80 (80kg)

I was directed here from pp and was told 'Naz will sort you out'

the email i recieved from pro-jump was quite unclear any help from a pro-jump person would be very helpful.

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 11:10:14 PM »
Hey there

Welcome to the forum, I'm Naz by the way, I did reply on PP but due to the flare up between members everything got deleted :(

The usual returns procedure is as follows...

1. We usually ask the customer to post out their damaged spring back to us, plz wrap it up well so no further damage takes place.

2. Make sure you include a cover letter, just telling us what happened along with your name, address, contact number, order number / ref.

3. Once the returns dept checks out your spring, if it's a manufacturing fault and the item is still in warranty then the spring should be replaced. Usually the turn around is about 3-5 working days.

If you require any further help just pm me.

Thanks.

Offline PINHEAD69

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 08:00:41 PM »
NERO has broken 4 springs in the last 5 month i think
the last one being in warranty by 17 days,
i was actually there when they broke, and it was only
steady jumping... were they replaced naz ??? 
yes i agree they are underated, everywhere i go
all i see is them snapping...if you do tiny 2 foot jumps i think they may last a bit, other than that, i actually dont think the springs
are upto normal bocking standard and some work needs to be put into them, to make them better...realistically, before they are sold..
on the other side... at least you get a response from them and they work on your problem, or to a degree... is NERO sorted ?
7's sellers have become a little bit ,  "lets not reply"
i hate that... so what dya do... reckon everyone should just go rob
the warehouses, if they are free, there is no worry or need to complain......

LOOK HERE BELOW
http://www.pinheadstraps.co.uk/
tHe BrUmMie BoUnCeRs

(TIP)
never fece yourself wearing a g-string
it makes chip shapes

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
Pinhead...

Along with other FL sellers in the UK, we sell thousands of these springs every year, yes some do break but they are under  0.5% of our total sales if that, they do not snap just by doing small jumps on them otherwise we would be losing money on them and we would be stupid to continue selling them... Trust me we are not stupid.

As for Nero, his becoming a spring slayer in the same form as tundraH and Kiola were and he has had a higher rate of breakages. There are some bockers that seem to have this effect on springs and I have also suggested that he tries other brands and see how he gets along with them. As for whether they have been replaced, if you are directing the question at me perhaps you should ask via pm  :nana: and surely it’s something Nero should be asking? ???

But yes as far as I’m aware the office have honoured the warranty all the time and have been extremely fair to him. Hope that puts your mind at rest  :P  ;)

Offline Glasto_Bocker

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 08:28:06 AM »
I agree with Naz.

It must be a very small percentage of the springs that for one reason or another are faulty and may decide to fracture after a month or two of use. However, with regards to it occurring on multiple occasions for a particular person, again as Naz has said, it could be down to their individual technique, perhaps not suited to PJ springs.

Anyhow, PJ are very helpful; I sent my damaged spring back to Preston a few days ago and they confirmed it was a manufacturing fault and are sending me out a replacement spring.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
I can only speak as I find and so far I have had 5 sets of PJ springs

2 Glassfibre and 3 Carbon

I had one spring break and it was promptly replaced

It had failed due to an obvious manufacturing fault which will occur in any mass produced product

I have got in excess of 150hrs of mixed bocking on both pairs of springs that I have worn out and the 2 carbon pairs are still going

But it stands to reason that if you are one of the few that are very good on bocks you are gonna wear them out quicker and any fault will show up very quickly as you are pushing them to the limit

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline PINHEAD69

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 12:21:17 AM »
i like to raise eyebrows ;-)
it also helps new people who read the thread too..
as you get to hear the other side of it too...
now when people read it...they will see that not all
springs break full stop as peoples views and experiences have been added...plus some things have been worked on since...
nero is a chunky monkey tho.... maybe the brand doesnt suit him...
as he bocks quite hard now n then...
right... whats next...hmnnnnnn

LOOK HERE BELOW
http://www.pinheadstraps.co.uk/
tHe BrUmMie BoUnCeRs

(TIP)
never fece yourself wearing a g-string
it makes chip shapes

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 01:04:20 PM »
just to clarify....
even though i have r***ed many springs in the last few months pro jump have always sorted me out, even 8 or 9 days before the warranty was up as my last breakage was.
im undecided on this whole "carbon" or " fibre" issue, but im trying to get a set of the old style springs, once i have some of them i will tell you all what i think.
i think i am pretty aggresive when on my stilts and they get TONS of use, none of this hour a week stuff, i average around 2 a day i suppose, and i like to try all sorts of things when on them.
i know one spring looked pretty grey upon arrival, so thats been put down to a manufacturers or delivery fault, the others could be down to anything.
so the jury is out in my case about which spring is better, but pro jump as a company i cant question.
they are cheap, on the end of a phone call or email, and have a great delivery and return speed.

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline carlgreen

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for backFLEEP!
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 06:53:37 PM »
nero....i have a pair of the mk1 poweriSer springs under my bed ur morethan welcome to them i just cant move them i have heard of a few people wanting to get them as they were the best.....but im too light they are 70-90s and bearly used

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 07:20:37 PM »
I can only speak as I find and so far I have had 5 sets of PJ springs

2 Glassfibre and 3 Carbon

I had one spring break and it was promptly replaced

It had failed due to an obvious manufacturing fault which will occur in any mass produced product

I have got in excess of 150hrs of mixed bocking on both pairs of springs that I have worn out and the 2 carbon pairs are still going

But it stands to reason that if you are one of the few that are very good on bocks you are gonna wear them out quicker and any fault will show up very quickly as you are pushing them to the limit

Jason  :Hoofies2:

And, once again,the bocker's Dr Spock comes to the rescue with a truly logical explanation....I concur number One!  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Offline einkleburt

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 04:55:25 PM »
Im wondering how am i meant to send my springs back when the post code (according to the post office) is for a girls school (i found the post code on the pro-jump website!)

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2008, 07:36:18 PM »
Theres a lot of industrial units there that have the same postcode and one happens to be a School!

Please use the following address & make sure you send it via registered post so it can be tracked.
UK Good Deals ltd
(PRO-JUMP.CO.UK)
Unit 5
36 Deepdale Mill Street
Preston
Lancs
PR1 5BY

Offline TOM SAVAGE

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2008, 12:16:35 PM »
STAY OFF THEM!!!!     i had this same problem with only the left one as you have and someone on the forums told me they won't snap just like that, but that they will wear down till they bottom out on a walk.

so here i am jogging and CRAACCCKKKKK the left spring cracks and shatters and i hit the ground like a bag of bricks :(
if we stop bouncing, gravity wins!

Dark Knight

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 03:24:08 PM »
STAY OFF THEM!!!!     i had this same problem with only the left one as you have and someone on the forums told me they won't snap just like that, but that they will wear down till they bottom out on a walk.

so here i am jogging and CRAACCCKKKKK the left spring cracks and shatters and i hit the ground like a bag of bricks :(
Where do you get your bags from ?
When I shop in Asda's and put more the 16 tins in a bag the handle rips off !