Author Topic: strenghthen leg muscles?  (Read 8784 times)

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
strenghthen leg muscles?
« on: November 20, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »
hey guys most of u no im kinda out of bocking for a mo it suks alot but my doctor says if i streghthen my leg muscles i should be ok so anyone get any techniques for streghntening the quadriceps and the calf muscles (mabe DK ;) )

So if you have any special ways of doing this i will happily try em out

Thank yooh very much  :biggrin: :thumbs:

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline rickbicker26

Re: strenghthen leg muscles?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 05:41:20 PM »
well i should be starting physio soon for the leg i knackered upi'll tell u wha ti do when i start it..

Dark Knight

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 06:30:14 PM »
 Aidanh1 legs muscles are some of the hardest muscles to build up has they are resilient to bulking up if the wasn't you'd all end up with tree trucks. Some poeple are sticks and other oak trees.
 You don't say what your problem and why the doctor has told you to strengthen them. If you are talking about building your muscles I think you'd need to find a gym has you would need weights and they'll help you ?
 Before I had to give the gym up I was there for about 10 hours a work and I've always had big legs .... but in the last year of bocking I'm calfs have gained an inch.
 There's a number of website which would give you pionters but I think your best bet in a gym.

Oh and thank for thinking of my ... don't know why you thought of me.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 08:43:36 PM »
Get a job where you have to walk up and down stairs all day  :biggrin:

And then do it at a run  :biggrin:

Seriously though join a gym (the sort we normaly go to not the rows of machine ones) and there will be someone like Charlie B there to help

By the way I feel the same can't jump much since the ankle incident and only just getting back into thankfully

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Dark Knight

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 10:40:28 PM »
 You have a ankle problem. I find that odd has if you have ever met me you would have notice I limp. I find bock a lot less painful than walking.
 I ankle was very badly crushed when a car rammed my motorbike I would list everthing that I had but the list of thing I DIDN'T have is shorter:-

Decapitation of the foot ( but I did nearly lose it )

Told you it was a shorter.

The way a stilt hold the foot an ankle problem may not be such a big problem if you refrain from bounce to much ? Using your stilts may even help much as using a push bike. If your ankle is stiff a push bike will help loose the joint has you you push the padel around. If you place the back of the ankle on the pedel and push down that you can use it that way to build power up.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 10:43:53 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 10:49:23 PM »
I tore all the ligaments in my ankle last year being an idiot..Made quite a quick recovery but the problem is I still dont get good movement on it again..like if I rotate it it makes funny clicking noises and stuff. Its not good.

I dont think it affects my bocking physically much but I am weary of pushing it...

Glad you still got your leg dk

:spudT:

Dark Knight

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 12:31:12 AM »
 Has stilts hold the foot in one place ( apart from the tilting foot placed ones ) as long as you can bear full weight on the ankle ( if in doubt ask your doctor ) a bad ankle should not effect your bocking and in some cases help to keep the leg mobile.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 08:27:29 PM »
Don't know exactly what I did to my ankle (it was the same foot the Jag crushed on my motorbike)

But I'm 8 weeks down the line and although it's stronger now I still can't walk up stairs using my toes like normal but have to use my heel
(just folds if I try to lift on my toes) and it's still about half as big as the other ankle

Good news is I was out jumping today and my ballance is coming back and nothing hurt (well apart from the usual aches  :haha:)

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 08:38:05 PM »
As DK has said the only real way to build muscle is to provide resistance when you work it.

Muscle builds by actually damaging itself (micro tears) then re-growing. Therefore you have to ask what you want to do

Build endurance
Build Strength

Basically if you want to build strength you must move weights that are approx 80% of your failure weight. if you want to do strengty endurance then it is between 70/60% of failure weight. You also need to exercise complimentary muscle groups to ballance your strength gain and not be susseptabel to injury. For example you must work both Quads and hamstrings if you are woring on upper legs. I would also include calves to give a balanced approach.

Whilst i do strength training for footballers I am by no means an expert

you need to be shown how to lift without sustaining injury etc so i would suggest going to a gym or seeking out someone you can discuss this with.

Grow old disgracefully

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 01:54:51 PM »
The reson i mentiones u dk was i knew u had big leg muscles so i thought ud be the best source of advice :)

i have acces to my college gym and i have gained a membership card for it.

i need to strenthen the power in my legs so i can bounce higher but ive noticed when i jump i get pains in my lower back so i need some advice on back muscles too any advice is greatly apreachiated :D 

Dark Knight

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 02:11:53 PM »
 To Lincoln this weekend we had a Bambi and from the moment he got on a pair I could tell his leg wasn't very strong. By the end of the day he was getting there in a manor.

When people start to learn then the weight can be a little off putting as they don't use the spring to bounce as much. I always warn them that it will feel like wearing a heavy boot in wet mud has I've notice we they take the first couple of step they swing their foot rather the step.

Any bocker who wears them for 3-4 hours 4-5 times a week will build strength up in the legs and back but you mat still need extra help and the only real option is a gym as you will need weights for training.
 You could always offer to go shopping with your mum/dad and carry it for them.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 06:22:44 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 01:46:33 PM »
ok dk good idea i do have access to a gym so ill use that when i can but while aim at home is there any training i can do without weights to build up leg and backmuscle??

Dark Knight

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 06:43:45 PM »
There's lots of tips if you google, some are better than others. Have a look a a couple of different sites and see what works for you . If you have problems and still can't work something out there's a number of us about who can help if need it.

Here's a site to get you going?
http://www.ehow.com/how_4515010_build-strong-legs.html

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 09:22:14 PM »
Spot on Dk

When you say you want to build back muscles I suspect what you actually need to do is build core strength/stability.

Crunchies, leg lifts, fore arm presses are a few that work, again google core stability and you will get loads.
Grow old disgracefully

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 10:43:03 PM »
Cheers guys :D soon ill be a muscular hunk XD lol i will bock again if it kills me!

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 10:29:20 AM »
Cheers guys :D soon ill be a muscular hunk XD lol i will bock again if it kills me!

Well we've all got to die sometime Aidan might as well be enjoying yourself when it happens  :haha:

Get strong soon mate

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 10:51:50 PM »
haha good way of putting it jason :P if i keep to my exercises then in about 4 months my knees should be strong enough for bocking :)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2008, 09:40:48 PM »
Might be worth getting a pair of those knee supports like CharlieB (think they are like the American footballers wear) just for when your bocking as they sort of support the joint rather than the whole muscle system and help stop twisting and hyperextention (I think but check it out)

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2008, 09:57:03 PM »
Agree Jason

The supports have metal stays in them with a hinge that is free through normal movement but locks once you begin to hyperextend. I have not fully hyperextended my knees on bocks but have extended them to the point where it was difficult to walk & I had pain in the knee. Not had anysuch problems since getting the supports.

They are expensive but they do work
Grow old disgracefully

Dark Knight

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 10:45:47 AM »
They are expensive but they do work
They maybe expensive but worth it stops your knee problems.
Don't just buy the cheap stuff because it's cheaper as you do get what you pay for !

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 07:48:06 PM »
shore they dnt do a primark specials of dese :P

Offline da_monk

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 08:23:02 AM »
hav u tryed swiming?

thats a realy good work out

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 06:26:47 PM »
hmmm i heard swimming does increase ur bicep strenght and leg streghnth but does it also do ur back muscles?

Offline da_monk

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 07:46:14 PM »
hmmm i heard swimming does increase ur bicep strenght and leg streghnth but does it also do ur back muscles?

it is the only sport that is a work out for Evry musle u got

uther than sex lol

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 01:02:33 AM »

it is the only sport that is a work out for Evry musle u got

uther than s*x lol

Try 4hrs bocking followed by a 3 hr gym meet on bocks and if you can find a muscle that dosent hurt I'll agree  :haha: otherwise add Bocking to that list  :biggrin: