Author Topic: Tyre wire  (Read 5325 times)

Offline Schoie

Tyre wire
« on: November 22, 2008, 12:12:53 AM »
Hey there,
              It took me about an hour yesterday to cut through the wire in my bike tyres to make tyre socks, didn't realise how tough it'll be. I thought it'll be a simply snip, a 5 min job. As I'm rubbish when it comes to DIY and tools and stuff is there a decent tool that cuts through this wire as my wire cutters, that I bought from B&Q just for this job, were barely scratching it? If you've got a decent pair of wire cutters or know of a better way to cut this wire plz let me know or do I just need to grow some muscles?  :-\
Some People Think I'm Bonkers...
But I Just Think I'm Free...
Man I'm Just Living My Live...
There's Nothing Crazy About Me...

Dark Knight

Re: Tyre wire
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 12:34:00 AM »
Webmaster once asked me to do a photo how to make once. I'll email you the photo's set they should help you, you'll have no problems with them now. Once you follow the first half of those stages you can make new tires and put them on it less the a minuet and that include removing the old one.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 12:49:40 AM by Dark Knight »

Offline Obi-Wan Kenobi

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 12:53:21 AM »
Dark Knights is that a challenge  ;D
If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 02:35:26 AM »
lol...I had the very same problem. It was pain of a task. Once you have cut the tire the once I would cut out the middle bit of the tire out so you are just left with a  square of rubber without any wire...That saves you having to bust the wire again and they are easier to make fit well and not slip around on the hoof.

Making socks is a bit of a chore so I would use a tire that is likely to last. But I am never gonna make them again. I use toddy's tire socks now and they are tie on and good to go when you get them. come in bright colours and very grippy too

I'm tired so this probs dont make much sense lol

:spudT:

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 08:12:17 AM »
spud id right i do make tyre socks and they are grippy
as i am an experienced mtber so i know what tyres are good for what choice and i have got a shed full of tyres at the mo

as for cutting them i have got a pair of wire snips from B&Q they are the ones that look like a small pair of bolt cutters, will get a pic for you later,

or order a pair from me

Offline Schoie

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 08:25:20 AM »
Bolt cutters sound good, I tried my mates sheet metal sheers but the that didn't work to well the wire kept going inbetween the blades. Once I run out of bike tyre I think I probably will order some. Looking forward to seeing those pics, should help alot. Thx for your help everyone!! :biggrin:

Dark Knight

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 08:44:41 AM »
I couldn't find the finished topic file so sent you the pictures. I made my first pair after 10 hours of use when the hole appeared and that's how I thought everyone did it ! Hope the picture help.

OB1 I was pointing out that there's a stage that takes time which is skiped next time and it real makes making new tires quick and easy.

Do you want a copy of the file when I find it

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 10:20:56 AM »
Schoie

Also have a pair of wire cutters. Tighten the bolt that they rotate around to make the cut sharper. That will sort it unless you are using tractor tyres lol
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Schoie

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 06:55:57 PM »
I couldn't find the finished topic file so sent you the pictures. I made my first pair after 10 hours of use when the hole appeared and that's how I thought everyone did it ! Hope the picture help.

Hey Dk still haven't recieved these pictures yet, plz could you try again or post them on this thread. Cheers

Dark Knight

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 08:45:21 PM »
I did send them to you I've just check as for the file that's on a different HD but even the pictures should make it clear . I've post another copy now.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 08:47:05 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 08:55:36 PM »
I may be missing the point here but

I always removed the wire from the tyre before making them into socks (when I used to make them) so there was no need to cut the edging wire in the first place just slit all the way round the tyre on both sides and leave the wires as circles

I found that if I left the wire on the sock it got in the way of tightening the jubiliee clips and made the tyre hard to bend

So save your money by not buying bolt cuters and buy extra tyres  :biggrin:

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline Schoie

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 09:41:29 PM »
I may be missing the point here but

I always removed the wire from the tyre before making them into socks (when I used to make them) so there was no need to cut the edging wire in the first place just slit all the way round the tyre on both sides and leave the wires as circles

I found that if I left the wire on the sock it got in the way of tightening the jubiliee clips and made the tyre hard to bend

So save your money by not buying bolt cuters and buy extra tyres  :biggrin:

Jason  :Hoofies2:

I always thought the wire was left on to help prevent the trye slipping off sideways but I take it this has never happened to you without wire.

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 09:42:11 PM »
like these i mean, they are onyl £10 from B&Q

and just so you know jason uses Hoofies as he makes them,
as he is my rival in the sock indistry :nana:

Dark Knight

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 09:50:18 PM »
You still having problems.
I had been ask if I'd post a photo make for my tire " Boots " and ..... I'm up loading picture now.
I could do the topic if poeple want it

Offline Schoie

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 10:31:38 PM »
I had been ask if I'd post a photo make for my tire " Boots " and ..... I'm up loading picture now.

I think I'll be able to make them quicker next time either by tightening the metal sheet cutters, buying a decent pair of wire cutters or cutting the tyre wire completely. I wouldn't mind seeing you're tyre boots DK, if they can be changed in under a minute I'm impressed :thumbs:. Thx for everyone's help on this subject as I was really getting frustrated with them the other day, I was debating taking a circular saw to them or summat

Dark Knight

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 10:43:16 PM »

I think I'll be able to make them quicker next time either by tightening the metal sheet cutters, buying a decent pair of wire cutters or cutting the tyre wire completely. I wouldn't mind seeing you're tyre boots DK, if they can be changed in under a minute I'm impressed :thumbs:. Thx for everyone's help on this subject as I was really getting frustrated with them the other day, I was debating taking a circular saw to them or summat

Here's part of my tips to tire "Boots" logical realy
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 10:45:24 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline Sx Nutta

• Elite Member
  • No Brains Required
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 03:11:17 PM »
Its another man who makes tyre socks here, I just get my good ole stanley knife out with ultra sharp blades, yes i have soem 80% sharper than the average blade, and just simply cut the wire off in one go, on both sides of the tyre, as I find it easy to cut then the shape then, as I use a wooden template for making mine!  :thumbs:

Fire is good!
But Fire is better when you are spinning or breathing it!
Burn Scars are for life!
Chicks dig dudes with cool burn scars!