Author Topic: Tire boots ( Sox ... )  (Read 9982 times)

Dark Knight

Tire boots ( Sox ... )
« on: November 23, 2008, 07:07:39 PM »
I had my stilts for only 10 hours when the rubber show bad wear and so asked what to do and was show a picture of bike tires wrapped on the hoof. They appeared to be called a number of things boots, booties, socks and sox most call them sox me, I plumped for boots.
I made my first pair the night before CB07 and had never tried to make them before but I think I made a good job having no guide to go by at the time just the odd picture.
I posted them to at the time ask people what they thought.

Heres how to make them.

I buy new BMX ( off road ) tyres has old tyres may not last as long. I get the biggest size I can a 26 inch should make a couple of pairs which can be used twice. I found a nice tire in Adsa's for £10 which means they cost about £2 for a side.

I have made this quick how to make to help you make your own pair of boots.

You will need

A tire ( see above )
Six cable ties
Sticky tape

Tools

A pair of scissors
That's all !

There are to stages the first need only be done for new tires after which new boot can made and replace very quickly.

Firstly I do not use the wire so the first thing to cut it off. You do have to got out and buy wire cutters stab a hole in the middle of the tire and cut across the tire upto the wire ( note you don't need to cut the wire ).

I find that that you only need a tire a little wider than the hoof so measure that on the tire, this is where you cut . A good tip is if there's a line on or just over your mark you can use it. Cut along the whole tire on both side has at some point you will want to use it, use a mark on the tire if you can.

You should now have a tire snake from which you can make your boots from.

Now you have your snake it's now a matter of cut the length you need off and fitting. You may find you may have to cut a little shorter than I show or you may find you have a little extra either way once your happy with the length you use you can use the old one as a guide to the next one.

Hold the snake just passed the rubber out the outside of hoof and fold around the hoof and up along the inside to the matching point and cut off there.
Hold the tire has tightly as you can and use three cable ties to hold it in place ( Some use a jubilee clip for this ).

{ IMAGE REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO INAPPROPRIATE BEHAVIOUR BY THE AUTHOR }

Once in place cut the ends off and cover with tape.

There you are ready to use.
Add a little more tape the tidy it up and make it look more like it's ment to be there in the first place.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:35:56 PM by Locky »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
Re: Tire boots ( Sox ... )
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 07:40:46 PM »
Good walkthrough DK

I think it will help a lot of people so I thought I'd make it a sticky so it won't get lost in new posts  :thumbs:

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline PKGeorgeMiller

• "Cripple"
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 01:10:03 AM »
Hi, i am new to the forum but i joined as my Projump evolution pro stilts started showing signs of wear n tear, I was just wanted to ask a couple of things.
How much does it usually cost to replace the pads on the hoof of the stilts?
Do Tire Socks feel any different to usual?
Do you have to replace them often?
And is there any trouble with the tire moving while using the stilts?

Thanks for the help
Parkour and Powerbocking enthusiast
“There is no stronger or weaker…. You’re strong in the moment when you go right to the end for the cause you are defending.” -David Belle

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 01:06:08 AM »
Hi

Welcome to the forum!

I wasn't sure Pro-Jump sold Pro-Jump Evolution Pro stilts but if you mean the EXO range which has a full rubber sole then hopefully we are talking about the same model, if for some reason we aren't then I'd love to see a pic of your Pro-Jumps!

The CZ soles cost £23.99 for a pair and these seem to last a good while and will probably be a more economical than going for tire socks - we have these available however you would need to call in on 01772 792 600 to order and ask for stock code 2875.

We have a whole range of tutorials where the pictures haven't been replaced on http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?page=Rubber-Sole-Protection, however you may want to check out the following by squeeker http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=5108.0 which is just for the exo.

In general tire socks feel a little different initially but you can get used to them pretty fast, the replacement rate would depend on the quality of the tires and whether or not they move will depend on how well you fitted them.

Hope this helps.

Offline PKGeorgeMiller

• "Cripple"
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 05:49:36 PM »
ok thanks, yep sorry, got the name wrong, they are the EXO Pros, I will consider buying some tyre socks then, if i were to buy some will it come with the jubilee clip etc? and how much would the tire socks cost?
“There is no stronger or weaker…. You’re strong in the moment when you go right to the end for the cause you are defending.” -David Belle

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 06:07:03 PM »
Unfortunately tyre socks are a DIY version which we dont sell

Offline PKGeorgeMiller

• "Cripple"
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 07:10:02 PM »
ok thanks for the help :)