Author Topic: Weird problem.  (Read 4966 times)

Offline Predster

• Buxton Hangout
Weird problem.
« on: November 24, 2008, 11:14:56 PM »
Hey all,

I recently replaced my springs from M70's to m60's and I disassembled the things and put them back together again, though now when I walk on them it feels like every time I put my foot down something contacts. It feels like its happening around the feet area although I can feel it come like off contact when I lift my foot up.

Hard to describe  :-\

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Tom. x
Tom.

Offline Mini Ellis

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Mini Ellis <3 Greggles
Re: Weird problem.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 11:18:39 PM »
it might be that you havent put the 'T' plates in the right way or in the right position, but when you start taking ur stilts apart and chagingin things they never are the same as when you get them assembled from the factory, if that makes sense?

Mini Ellis xxx

Offline Jack

• EA Bocker
    • www.eabockers.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 11:23:04 PM »
just a tip when moddin/fixin ur stilts do em one at a time so u can see if they look the same and youve done it all right

Offline Predster

• Buxton Hangout
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 11:41:07 PM »
I did one at a time.. I shall check them over again tomorrow though  :'(
Tom.

Offline Mini Ellis

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Mini Ellis <3 Greggles
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 11:57:35 PM »
yeah thats a good point from jack and if your not to sure what your doing as, you dont wanna be over-tighting any bolts. but it might just be one of thoes things everyones stilts have their own creeks and rattles.
:D

Mini Ellis xxx

Offline Trip

• EA Bocker
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 12:19:35 AM »
When you change springs you need to make sure that you have done everything up tightly but do not over tighten!! Make sure you have not missed out any washers, check you have located the bearings into the frame correctly Etc. The bit between the spring and first bearing is a part that wears so make sure it is tight against the spring pad / bearing.. You may need to pad it out a little to stop movement..  :thumbs:

Offline Sx Nutta

• Elite Member
  • No Brains Required
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 11:47:12 AM »
Another thing to check is the bolts on the mounting plate and spring, as they be a little loose, hence some movement, I know i sometimes get that off mine, but I use 7 t-rex springs in my pro jumps

Fire is good!
But Fire is better when you are spinning or breathing it!
Burn Scars are for life!
Chicks dig dudes with cool burn scars!

Dark Knight

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 01:55:30 PM »
I hope you have workout what is wrong but from what I can workout.

The foot plate is real the main point of contact for you and the stilt so any problem you feel will come via the foot.

If the movement is when you have the hoof on the floor you should check that the "T" plate is still there has even if you refitted it it may still have come out.
If it's fallen out you will need to replace ASP and stop damage and stick or tape it in place.

If you feel movement just before/after the hoof contacts check the brackets that hold the springs are not loose. You can check this by holding the frame and grab the spring and wiggle it up and down there shouldn't be any movement.
If they do move you will have to undo the bolt holding the bracket to the frame to reach both small bolts, Do tighten too much or you will damage the spring.

It these are not the problems you having it is still useful to remeber.

Offline wiimii

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 06:28:23 PM »
doe sit make a real bad creaking sound??

because thats what happens to mine now, and it might be because of when i changed springs,

they haven't broke and i use them quite a bit

Offline scruff

• Jump! How High??
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 06:40:36 PM »
Check all your bolt but dont over tighten them cose then it could cause alot of damage and you dont want that now

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 07:58:05 PM »
padding on bottom joint

check top joint for movement, sometimes the bushings are a little smaller than the holes, like my left one, currently finding a solution that doesn't wear off after an hour

squeeking can come from the joint immediately under the footplate, or the one with the T shaped plastic, just bushings squeeking from pressure usually, lubricate with something suitable should make it sound nicer, silicon dry lube or something should be good, not standard oil though

Offline Predster

• Buxton Hangout
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 11:37:38 PM »
Hey all,

Thanks for all your comments, it been really helpful.

I checked them out today and the top bracket (top of the spring) rattles so I am going to tighten it a little more and see what happens, the padding at the lower half of the springs has also worn off. I did pick the bocks up and the spring did slightly move up and down  :-\

Tom.
Tom.

Dark Knight

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 07:41:22 AM »
If things don't feel right don't just go mad with the spanner somethings are meant to be a little loose ?

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 11:09:58 AM »
Hey all,

Thanks for all your comments, it been really helpful.

I checked them out today and the top bracket (top of the spring) rattles so I am going to tighten it a little more and see what happens, the padding at the lower half of the springs has also worn off. I did pick the bocks up and the spring did slightly move up and down  :-\

Tom.

don't overtighten the joint obviously, and tightening sideways doesn't reduce up/down movement, only solution is to find someway to increase the diameter of the bushings (not possible).  really strong glue around the outside of the bushings works, but i obviously didn't find strong enough stuff as my click was back within an hour or so

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 11:19:58 AM »
mine click and move up and down a tiny bit. Its something that happens and it's something you get used to.

Fortunately, The clicking doesn't ever get loads worse unless you treat your bocks bad. I got an old pair I use for stupidity purposes. Snowbocking, bocking on the trampoline and anything else really. I generally dont treat them well and lump them around and now they make all sorts of funny noises and squeaks. They don't click any worse tho.