Author Topic: Am I big enough  (Read 6082 times)

Dark Knight

Am I big enough
« on: November 30, 2008, 01:55:35 AM »
When someone young or short first see a pair of stilts the first thing they need to know is which size would best suit me, the Junior size or Adult size ?
This is the first question you should before checking which weight range you need.

So how can you tell which will fit without having a pair to try on ?
The Junior size should fit anyone over the age of 7 so the lower range is very small.
When you are about 5' - 5'2" then the Adult size should be just small enough for you to use. You may need to boost the hight of the footplate ( a Flip-flop works for that ) and there's tips on the best ways to do that.
And the Adult size is capable of fitting someone over 6'5" so unless your the Jolly Green Gaint you should be fine.

This is only a rough guide and if possible you should try to find someone who would let you try their pair on to check. They should also be able to help with the weight of spring would be best for you. Most bockers would be more than happy to help you.

We alway quote hight of a person but what really counts is the length of your lower leg.
The minium length of leg ( bottom of foot the the bottom of the knee cap ) wound be the same as the foot plate to the point just below the knee bar .

400mm and you should be alright, 380mm is about a smallest that you could get away with ( if you add a spacer ) and hope to bend your knee to 90 degrees to do tricks. Any smaller and you would be lucky to bend your knee to walk on them but if your still growing quickly then maybe they are still worth getting ?

14 inch mean you should be able to bend your knee without needing a booster under the foot.
The way the straps goes around the back of the knees means people with legs of under 12 would find it very hard to bend at the knee. There is a gray area where you could still use them but couldn't do much more than walk in them !?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 06:59:18 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline Schoie

Re: I'm I big enough
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 08:09:16 AM »
Ok lets try and sort this out would all of the Shorter Bockers on Adult PJ's read this and measure your legs  :biggrin:(see Pic below)

The main problems with the transition between Junior and Adult PJ's are

1] Weight

Now although they say 10-20kg over as a percentage of an individuals weight this will be wrong so for arguments sake lets say if you weigh less than 50kg your gonna find it hard to bend the 60's (there will be exceptions to this but not to many ) 20kg for me is 10% of my body weight 10kg is 20% of a 50kg persons body weight

2] Leg Length

My wife although not a bocker yet is 5ft 4" and I have just put her in a set of bocks and measured
She can bend her legs but would bruise her thigh on the spring top if she was to do things like spring grabs (a lot of people do that and just accept the pain  :biggrin:)

Now the hard bit to explain
Bend your Knee to 90 degrees ( a right angle) and measure from your heel to the back of your thigh (the pic makes it clearer)
The wife's mesurement was 15" (380 mm) and I would say that this is close to the minimum for tricking

Now the spring bracket is 16" (apx 400 mm) so allowing for a thick pair of shoes you might get away with a 14" lower leg length if you don't do much tricking or only want to walk and bounce

If you are willing to mod your stilts with flipflops or hard foam and wear thick shoes it might be possible to get down to a 13" lower leg length but that is taking it to an extreme

Now lets throw this open to a experiment

Would everyone who is on adult stilts and under 5ft 1" please take a moment to measure their lower leg length and post it on this thread so we can find the shortest length that it is possible to use adult PJ's

Jason  :Hoofies2:

I remembered Jason asking this question a couple of months ago but no one repiled to the post :banghead:
Some People Think I'm Bonkers...
But I Just Think I'm Free...
Man I'm Just Living My Live...
There's Nothing Crazy About Me...

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 08:29:35 PM »
Thanks Schoie

Guess I'm just unappreciated  :haha:

Dark Knight

Am I big enough
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 09:14:40 PM »
Thanks Schoie

Guess I'm just unappreciated  :haha:

Must have missed that
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 10:04:57 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 09:22:09 PM »

I'm I big enough

This doesnt make sense at all lol

Offline Jack

• EA Bocker
    • www.eabockers.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 09:30:17 PM »

I'm I big enough

exactly what i was thinking

locky u got any paint? xD

Offline Schoie

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 10:03:36 PM »

I'm I big enough

A typo methinks! I think he meant 'Am I big enough'? As in 'Am I big enough for adult Projumps?'
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 10:43:01 PM by Schoie »

Dark Knight

Am I big enough
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 10:06:27 PM »

I'm I big enough

A typo methinks! I think he meant 'Am I big enough'? As in 'Am I be enough for adult Projumps?'

I can see where all the brainy people live

Offline Zack Miller

Re: Am I big enough
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 05:11:42 PM »
Hi im very new at this and i dont know if im big enough for the adult size pro-jump stilts.  Im 13 and growing.........  i am almost 5 foot......  but the hight from the back of my heel to the bottom of my knee (when it is bend at a 90' angle) is just 14 inchs........

I also dont wont to waste my money on the child ones and then grow out of them in a few mounths.........

Help! plz.............. :-\ ???

Zack Miller

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 05:18:24 PM »
If you are almost 5ft I would go for the adult stilts. Especially since you are growing.

I don't really know If what the 14 inches thing means for bocks but I think it should be fine. You probably know better than me, is that measurement small for somebody your height?

Welcome  :thumbs:

:spudT:

Dark Knight

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 06:57:26 PM »
Hi im very new at this and i dont know if im big enough for the adult size pro-jump stilts.  Im 13 and growing.........  i am almost 5 foot......  but the hight from the back of my heel to the bottom of my knee (when it is bend at a 90' angle) is just 14 inchs........

I also dont wont to waste my money on the child ones and then grow out of them in a few mounths.........

Help! plz.............. :-\ ???

Zack Miller
14 inch mean you should be able to bend your knee without needing a booster under the foot.
The way the straps goes around the back of the knees means people with legs of under 12 would find it very hard to bend at the knee. There is a gray area where you could still use them but couldn't do much more than walk in them !?

Offline Zack Miller

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 08:18:06 PM »
If you are almost 5ft I would go for the adult stilts. Especially since you are growing.

I don't really know If what the 14 inches thing means for bocks but I think it should be fine. You probably know better than me, is that measurement small for somebody your height?

Welcome

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah it is very small for someone my age. :Dark_Knight:

Offline Zack Miller

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 08:21:29 PM »

Because i am a beginner all i could do for a while is walk in them so thats not so much of a problem, should i still wear thick shoes when wearing them?  ???

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 09:44:28 PM »
Judging by the measurements I took  Zack  (see here http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=494.msg36614#msg36614 )

If you are willing to glue an old pair of flip-flops to the footplates you should be fine but what we need is all you Less Tall people out there on bocks to give us a shout and measure your legs as in the post above and tell us if you bruise your legs then we can come up with a minimum measurement to tell anyone like Zack who is worried about the whole leg length thing

People keep quoting 5ft as the magic number but you only have to look at a couple of people to see that some people have longer bodies and others are almost all legs so two people of 5ft could vary as to whether they would bruise the back of their legs on bocks

So come on shorties tell us how long your shinbones are  :haha:

Dark Knight

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 11:11:07 PM »
Maybe some of you smaller bockers could write topic about the problem you may have had bocking.
What your problem was and how you sorted it out it would help others workout if adult size would work for them.
Don't forget your own height !?

Offline Zack Miller

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 09:51:47 AM »
Thanks everbody for your help!!!! :) :Dark_Knight:
Ive got a realy thick pair a shoes called 'heellies?' They've got wheels in the bottom (but u can take out the wheels)

that should boost up my height,  But what should i do if the calf cuff is to lose around my calf?
because that will be danerous wont it? ??? :Dark_Knight:

Dark Knight

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 10:01:01 AM »
I should have remembered Heelies I did that the other year !
http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=201
I don't have calf-cuffs but I think they will tighten up, with knee bars extra padding helps !

Offline Zack Miller

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2008, 03:44:51 PM »
Thanks i will use padding and heelies!! :Dark_Knight:  Thanks for all ur help, ill tell u when i get the projump stilts (around Christmas!) :) :PJR:

Offline Schoie

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2008, 04:47:34 PM »
Snowboarding boots should do the trick too (on the off chance you have some). Also I'm over 6 foot and the back off my leg below my my knee is like 19 inches. If I try jumping onto things (like big red cubes) the back of my leg still bruises so don't worry if you do bruise a little