Author Topic: does falling hurt and is there a better way to fall?  (Read 6228 times)

Offline annie342

does falling hurt and is there a better way to fall?
« on: December 13, 2008, 09:50:06 PM »
hi i have just got a pair of pro jumps for christmas and i have been able to have a quick go on them and i was wondering seen as they make me alot taller. how much does it hurt when you fall and is there a tecnique to doing it?

Offline Chrishead

Re: does falling hurt and is there a better way to fall?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 09:56:38 PM »
Falling hurts of course. there is no telling when you will fall but make sure you have plenty of pads such as wrist guards and knee pads as it hurts less and it does less damage to you.

*removed my idiot quote  ;D*

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 10:43:01 PM by Chrishead »
For Sale: Paracute, Used once, Never opened, Small stain.

Offline Schoie

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 10:11:30 PM »
I've fell numberous times, I fell four times today from way up but I had mats down so didn't hurt, and ever time I've put my hands out in front as I've fell. So make sure you have wrist guards. A bad fall will hurt, obviously that's why it's bad, but in my expierence from most falls your able to get back up from pretty quick and just carry on. I probably would have had more damaging falls without kneepads aswell. If you're more relaxed you'll also find it easier to regain your balance from a trip or slip but that'll just come with time.
Some People Think I'm Bonkers...
But I Just Think I'm Free...
Man I'm Just Living My Live...
There's Nothing Crazy About Me...

Offline Foote

• My myspace
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 10:11:50 PM »
Don't put your hands out to break your fall?

I have never bocked, yet.  But..I don't agree with that.

I think that highly increases the chances of breaking something else.   Like your face, neck, collarbone..etc.  If you ask me; a sprainged wrist is much better than any of those.

Offline Schoie

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 10:13:53 PM »
Don't put your hands out to break your fall?

I have never bocked, yet.  But..I don't agree with that.

I think that highly increases the chances of breaking something else.   Like your face, neck, collarbone..etc.  If you ask me; a sprainged wrist is much better than any of those.

Yeah if your flying head first towards the floor whatever you do don't put your arms out just take it on the chin. Much better lol
Some People Think I'm Bonkers...
But I Just Think I'm Free...
Man I'm Just Living My Live...
There's Nothing Crazy About Me...

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 10:26:54 PM »
As for the technique, there is only 1 rule. That rule is you must not put your hands out to break your fall as you risk breaking or spraining them, although having wrist guards will make it less painfull if you do end up putting your hands out.
And whoever told you that is a complete fool! The overiding subconcious movement is to throw your arms out, you can't really stop it and if you do your head is going into the tarmac/asphalt fast and hard.

Pad up, get some decent wristies and elbow pads, and when you fall (if you're going forwards), use the wristies to slide on (and the elbow pads will stop road rash on your elbows). Of course allow you arms to move with the fall, don't lock them as that will cause a break or dislocation like this:

Backwards fall with no wristguards, locked elbow which took the entire force and as such popped, fracturing one of the smaller sections.

I guess the best examples of falls and how to prevent injury are on video...

[youtube=425,350]auFpeJsxkvc[/youtube]
There's 2 in there (0:56 and 1:20), watch how people fall and how they take the force

As for does falling hurt?
[youtube=425,350]ziOXM5meYls[/youtube]
After every fall we got up and carried on, no injuries or damage. 2:10 shows quite a good way to come out of a forwards fall.

Offline Chrishead

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 10:42:09 PM »
use the wristies to slide on (and the elbow pads will stop road rash on your elbows).

Sorry im terrible at explainations, what i ment is not to just take all the force with your wrists because that will result in injury, as you said sliding on your guards is the right idea as it spreads the force of the landing so feel free to slap me for saying that retarded quote lol.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 10:43:48 PM by Chrishead »
For Sale: Paracute, Used once, Never opened, Small stain.

Offline annie342

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 11:17:26 PM »
thanks for all the tips guys hopefulli i wont end up with broken bones

Offline English-tailor

• Elite Member
  • Piste off MoFo's
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 12:49:38 AM »
Does falling hurt?....... NO, not if you wear the appropriate pads

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 12:39:58 PM »
ET is right pad up, a bit more for new tricks coz thats when you normally fall.

Never go down with straight arms as this will do damage either to yout wrists or shoulder.

A goo break fall will use one arm slightly bent to take the impact and turn it into a role dissapating the force through your arm, shoylder then back. Almost like a forward role. Not as easy with stilts as you cannot role onto your feet.

Also accept the fall early and relax into it. If you tense you will hurt more.

If you go down straight forwards again bend your arms and let the wristpads slide.
Grow old disgracefully

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 04:43:42 PM »
lool those bails are funny :P

if fallin is to hurt the worst ur gonna do is hurt ur bum or mabe ur knee from falling wrong but if u just wear the pads keep yourself all padded up till it makes u sweat coz der to hot ull be fine :P

ive fallen from running and slide like 2 meters lmao it was so funny XD

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 11:38:36 AM »
ET is right pad up, a bit more for new tricks coz thats when you normally fall.

Never go down with straight arms as this will do damage either to yout wrists or shoulder.

A goo break fall will use one arm slightly bent to take the impact and turn it into a role dissapating the force through your arm, shoylder then back. Almost like a forward role. Not as easy with stilts as you cannot role onto your feet.

Also accept the fall early and relax into it. If you tense you will hurt more.

If you go down straight forwards again bend your arms and let the wristpads slide.
just make sure you tuck your shoulder in well on hard floors, thats how i dislocated my collerbone, trying to roll out of a failed front flip landing

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline PaulH

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 10:51:26 PM »
I tested out the whole does-it-hurt-when-you-fall-over business by letting my daughter test-drive the bocks when I got them.  She managed to fall over twice in the first ten minutes without breaking anything, which was reassuring.

Since then, I've only fallen once, on grass.  About the best you can say about falling is that it doesn't take very long.  However, it didn't actually hurt - I fell forward, and landed quite heavily on my knees.  I wouldn't have wanted to do it on concrete without kneepads, but it's not as bad as you expect it to be.  (But I've got calf-cuffs; if I'd fallen on the conventional knee-bar I think it would have hurt a lot more.

My advice:  don't worry about falling.  You feel as if you're miles high and will fall like a felled tree, but it doesn't happen like that.  Just enjoy, and don't worry about falling until it happens.

Offline Bexx

• I need a bock
  • EA Bocker
  • I'VE MOVED!
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 01:19:04 PM »
Just enjoy, and don't worry about falling until it happens.

And when it does happen, you dont normally have any time TO worry.

Hence why Im still smiling as I fall in this pic:

I payed the price for not wearing my elbow pads here! If I had been wearing them, there wouldnt have been a scratch on my body .... the only thing that did happen thou was a scr***e on my elbow .... so it wasnt too bad.

------------------------------------
No-Longer down south :(  I will miss london -- but I will be back, oh yes