Author Topic: Walking...  (Read 4360 times)

Offline Fysh

• Hello ;)
    • Bubble-Bytes
Walking...
« on: January 03, 2009, 09:54:59 PM »
Hey,
I got my bocks four days ago, I can walk slowly and can 'stand still', but each time I go on them I have to have someone or something near me just incase I am a bit unstedy.

Any tips for becoming more confident or starting jogging/running?
Thanks,
Fysh

Dark Knight

Re: Walking...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 10:00:19 PM »
It more a leap of faith if you get your friend to infront of you and you hold their wrist try releasing hold for longer times untill their just in your way  :)
One thing that may put you off is falling but with the right pads a fall should be too bad most poeple just feel a little silly !

Here's a link to look at that may help you  :)

http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=888.0
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 10:06:58 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 10:03:11 PM »
Hi Fysh

I used to carry a long pole (like a broomstick but longer) to use as a sort of walking stick it works well for those odd moments of unballance

As for jogging hold on to something ang jog on the spot then try bouncing from foot to foot on the spot without holding on but near a lamp post or the like

Most of it is just lots of time spent on them to get your ballance right

Also get along to a meet you will progress much faster with a crowd of bockers

And don't be to frightened of falling so long as you have all the pads and wristguards on it doesn't hurt as much as you think it will  :biggrin:

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Dark Knight

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 10:48:51 PM »
We are alsway happy to help new bockers this forum has loads of use full topics you can read through when the weathers bad.
Once you master walking on your own and really that no going to take very long once you get going you'll want to start getting some speed up. You'll notice once your walking on your own you'll be walking faster the normal people that because your legs are longer !
Here's a topic about jogging
http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2514.0

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 02:54:16 AM »
You will pick up things quickly, when standing still or adusting position use small steps.

With regards to running it is really bounding, you put a lot of power into the downward stroke and then use the power to bound forward.

Some cautionary words.

Run like you have a football between your knees as you will then not catch the springs together (v common prob) also really pad up. Running, or more importantly falling at speed can hurt. Knee pads, elbow pads and wrist guards are a must for running. I have used a full body suit which saved me from some sereious road rash when i fell at speed.
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Fysh

• Hello ;)
    • Bubble-Bytes
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 02:07:25 PM »
Thanks for your help, in such detail! As Jason said; I need to get along to meets, I'm located in London and I have looked in the groups section but none of the groups are very close to me, what one is closest to me, bearing in mind I am located in Ealing, London.

Thanks,
Fysh

Dark Knight

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 02:11:17 PM »
At the moment we are a little thin on the ground but if you find a local group maybe one of them lives near you and can travel to the other together.

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 02:16:45 PM »
Some of the groups dont have sections yet  :-\ there are a couple of new ones. Dont quote me on this...

Surrey springers? Or invictas? I think that maybe your closest group...but tbh I dont really know. Somebody closer should see this and will be able to help you better. I dont know the UK all that well  :D

:spudT:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 02:26:36 PM by Spud »

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 09:22:54 PM »
well the invictas are kent (i think) so wrong direction

...and you're quite a way from the springers, but if you can make it into london from time to time that's good

quite a few people spread out around london, maybe a few out your way but i don't know

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 10:56:12 PM »
Ealing is north of Hounslow and Hanworth is west of Hounslow so Fysh

The Hanworth Banned are about 5 miles max from you

We meet up most sundays from 12 ish to about 2-30 at various places but I must warn you that we are a couple of oldies  :biggrin: so it will be like bocking with your parents  :haha:

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline clive

• Elite Member
  • jump as high as you can ,,worry about the landing
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 11:13:21 PM »
yer your more than wecome to join us like jason said most sundays between 12/230
hope you can join us.. :thumbs:

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 01:04:02 AM »
yer your more than wecome to join us like jason said most sundays between 12/230
hope you can join us.. :thumbs:

oi no stealing my new recruits, all mine :P

or i can jsut engulf you two so anyone you get is mine muwahahahahaha!