Author Topic: Knee strain from bocking  (Read 6783 times)

Offline howlingbaboon

Knee strain from bocking
« on: January 14, 2009, 09:22:27 PM »
Hello folks,

I got my PJs just before christmas and have been out on them a handful of times. I can run and I've started to build up a lot more speed now, not jumping yet. The last time I went out my knee felt really weak for days after especially when I straightened my leg. I'm a little worried that this sport could cause real damage to my knee. Anyone else experienced anything like this? 

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
Re: Knee strain from bocking
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 09:35:39 PM »
heya errm i wudnt jump to much i had the same problem and ignored it and now i cant bock until my legs are stronger what id do is go on google find out how to make ur knees stronger because they really do hurt like fook when your knee goes

so strenghthen them legs or become like me the disabled bocker

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Dark Knight

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 10:12:17 PM »
A lot of poeple find their bodies ache when they start but you'll slowly biuld up the strength and find it easier stick with it  :)
There is a number of topic on the forum you may find usefull heres one of them.

http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2751.0

Offline howlingbaboon

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 10:27:54 PM »
This is less of an ache, my knee joint feels proper loose

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 10:38:51 PM »
A while ago we had a few discutions about this and I believe a doctor got involved on one of the forums

The main problem is Hyperextention (bending your knee to far backwards) during a slip, landing from an awkward jump or flip

People do suffer from something we have called Bockers Knee which is the muscles building and adapting to a new form of exersice (think it is a mild form of hyperextention) if you are reasonably fit this should stop within a few weeks as you build strength

Aidan is the only person I know of that has had serious problems (I believe due to an underlying problem) all other knee problems have been caused by acidents (like Beckys flip landing)

I personally have a week knee and would say that Bocking is no more likely to cause bad knee injurys (unless during an accident) than any other forms of gymnastics

There are obviously risks (I mean your jumping up and down on stilts  :haha:it ain't ever gonna be safe  :biggrin:)

At a guess I would say you probably pulled a muscle of overstretched like DK said take it easy and build up slowly also if you have had knee problems in the past consult a doctor or phsyio for advice

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline Hodge

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 11:03:33 PM »
How does it feel weak? Does it give way when you're walking? As in, you feel it stop supporting your weight and your drop slightly? Or is it just not feeling as sturdy as it normally does?

If it's the former, have you had any serious falls, or twisted the leg badly? If so then it may be worth while popping to see a doctor, I ripped both the ACLs in my right knee when I was 14 and didn't get it treated properly and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

If it's the latter, then maybe take it a bit easier, do some exercises that strengthen the leg muscles such as strapping weights to your ankles and doing step ups and stretches. I mean you're starting a new sport, when I started blading I got aches and funny feelings in places of my body that I didn't even realise had nerve endings...

Offline howlingbaboon

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 11:08:01 PM »
Cheers for all you advice guys, I reckon it must have been the hyperextension then. That would be why the bones felt a little further apart than they should and why my knee felt like it wanted to bend backwards when I straightened it. Must have been from really going for it running, bounding off the back foot with straight legs. Any idea how much time It should take to recover from such an injury? (yeah I know I should probably ask a doc)

Offline howlingbaboon

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 11:13:23 PM »
Hodge, it was more like the former but only for the first few days, I almost fell in the shower when it gave way. It seemed to be fine until I was streching before a climbing session a couple of days ago. I twisted it into alsorts of positions climbing though with very few problems so I hope it's only minor.

Offline Hodge

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 11:18:21 PM »
If you can climb on it you're most likely fine, unless you're a naughty climber and do it all upper body  ;D

If it starts to ache in cold or damp weather though definitely go see a doctor.

Offline howlingbaboon

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 11:34:30 PM »
cheers for the advice mate, I do tend to use my feet more these days, but I used to be an arm pulling ape once upon a time, like most. A technique that usually get save for moments of shear terror these days.

Offline Hodge

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 09:04:14 AM »
I use my arms way too much climbing, I have poor technique. I think thats why I can't get past the overhang on the wall at uni  :banghead:

Dark Knight

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 12:46:34 PM »
Any idea how much time It should take to recover from such an injury? (yeah I know I should probably ask a doc)
If you take things steady for 3 for 5 days and don't go mad streight way forwards you should be fine.
If there's no medical reason your knees are weak then why not try to build the strength up by climbing up and down stairs/ladder and for a total workout join a aerobic STEP Class, the "Box" was designed for poeple with bad knee in the first place.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 01:20:09 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline howlingbaboon

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 08:23:20 PM »
I spend a fair bit of time watching the box, will that help? :laugh:

Dark Knight

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 09:13:29 PM »
I spend a fair bit of time watching the box, will that help? :laugh:

:haha:
Only if it's running off a dynamo   :nana:

But there's nothing wrong with watching TV there is a number step machines you could use at the same time or make a step with a couple bricks, or even old pizza boxes  :biggrin:

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 01:33:00 AM »
wow batman to get enough pizza boxes means u eat lots of pizza XD

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)