Author Topic: What Did You Do Before You Discovered Bocking?  (Read 15954 times)

Offline Rumjahn

What Did You Do Before You Discovered Bocking?
« on: January 24, 2009, 08:34:18 AM »
Hey Everyone!

I've seen all sorts of people on this forum from all walks of life, but it seems like everyone falls into a few categories as far as prior experience.

I think most people on these forums can be classified into one of the following categories:
--Daredevils, whose lifestyles prior to 2006 involved things like skating, BMX, snowboarding, and other "X-sports."
--Gymnast, someone who's had formal training in gymnastics, and maybe even competed on an amateur or professional level
--Fitness buff, who just went to the gym a lot or did a lot of cardio exercise like jogging, inline skating, swimming, martial arts, or anything else fitness-related.
--Performance artists, people who rode unicycles, juggled, performed in circuses and other stage shows.
--And finally there seem to be the merely curious, who saw bocking somewhere and decided that they HAD to try it out!

If you're multitalented, just vote for the category that you identify with the most.

If I've left out a category, let me know and I'll add it.

Please take the poll, and we can find out what percentage of bockers did what before discovering this awesome fun invention!

--Howie

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
Re: What Did You Do Before You Discovered Bocking?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 11:39:11 AM »
i don't really fit any, closest would be extreme, but i did parkour more for hte personal progression (and to get up off my ass sometime in the day), other than that 10 mile bike ride to college twice a day for a couple of years, then got lazy and pursuaded mother to get me bocks for my 18th...then got hooked

Offline Puddster

• Meh
    • Zedge
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 12:35:16 PM »
Before bocking, I hadn't done anything in a long while.  Once upon a time however (when I was actually active), I used to skateboard, in-line skate (stunt rather than fitness) and I dabbled with parkour (weren't many decent places in my area though unfortunately, so that fell flat).
Although, as of next week I should be starting to get (properly) fit again, which will involve huge amounts of running (perhaps even with bocks) and weights.  Not looking forward to finding out how unfit I've gotten over the years!

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 12:46:51 PM »
Also do not really fit

I work in sport so I play a load of sports occasionally. The constant is football as I play for a vets team and am also a qualified coach
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Rumjahn

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 01:00:36 PM »
Charlie B and darfgarf, I think you would fall into the category of Fitness. Puddster, sounds like you were more of a Daredevil type, with the skateboarding and stunt skating. Hopefully you voted appropriately!

I'll change the Fitness category to include Parkour.

--Howie

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 01:20:45 PM »
:D voted

oh and btw there's no such thing as a bad place for parkour, though you need to be pretty creative about how you get through a field and over a huge hedge maybe...

Dark Knight

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 02:11:36 PM »
I think I'll tell you what I did for I started bocking but I think I'll have to start from before most of you where born !?
Back in 1990 I smashed my ankle in a motorbike crash and after 6 months physio I never stoped and ended up try out 5 times for "Gladitators" ( and even turning down an audition to be one ). I become a fully qualified fitness teacher and trainer for a number of years untill the Doctors told me I had to stop :(
I auditioned for big brother and posted over 10000 items on the BB forums in the 3 year I worked for them ?
I still own a jet-ski and motor bike but now it's bocking all the way.
 :Cbiggrin:

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 02:19:10 PM »
True, you can train Parkour anywhere... but it's definitely more, or less fun depending on the environment. I get bored really quickly training around my area which is why I go to near-by towns or cities.

Rumjahn, I think you'll find people don't like to think they can be so easily pigeon-holed. That's why people are saying they "don't really fit" when you think they obviously do. Parkour isn't an extreme sport either... or a sport at all for that matter. But I guess you can put me in the Dare-devil category. Though I really think you'll find that like me, people will identify with nearly all the categories.

Daredevil: I like 'extreme sports' such as skiing, snowboarding, sky-diving, climbing etc. And I do Parkour and free-running (though they're not extreme sports and my reasons for participating are in no way connected to adrenaline seeking).

Gymnastics: I go to a gymnastics club and did work experience with one. I toyed with the idea of making it my job.

Fitness buff: I am a fitness buff... though I'm not as buff as I used to be. Or anywhere near as buff as I'd like. ^_^ And I'm a martial artist (the avater might have been a clue) ^_^.

Performance artist: I have been in several performances/shows, most recently a play in the Rep Theatre in Birmingham.

Curious: I saw guys (and a really hot girl) on bocks at a theme park (Universal Studios) and decided I "HAD to try it out."

I imagine lots of people will have similar stories. But you did say vote for the one you most identify with... so I guess... Daredevil.

Interesting thread. ^_^ What's your history?

DK - Why did you turn down an audition to be a Gladiator? When I was little I really wanted to go on that show! ^_^ It's not as good now as when I was a kid though. =( The new gladiators suck. As does the new eliminator.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 02:24:02 PM by Brendan (NeoNinja) »
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 02:36:11 PM »
Performance I guess.
Started juggling and doing other various circus skills around 14ish, by 15 was doing it as a job working for various other performers and also within a group set up by myself, my brother and a friend.
Had known about bocks for a while, then actually got to see them in action at a circus workshop I was at, guy didn't really do much on them but it offered a lot more than solid pegs or durastilts. Then a kid at our local club got a pair of juniors as payment for doing some work for Jerry Cottle, so I had a go on them and they were a laugh. About a year and a half later ended up with a pair for my 17th after bugging my parents non-stop for 10 months.

Offline Puddster

• Meh
    • Zedge
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
oh and btw there's no such thing as a bad place for parkour, though you need to be pretty creative about how you get through a field and over a huge hedge maybe...

When all you have is fields it gets boring quickly.  Even the town centre is pretty boring.  There are a few odd places but it's impossible to get any kind of flow between obstacles as they're just too far away.  Think that's why I got into the skating.
And yes, I voted for daredevil. :D

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 05:50:10 PM »
When all you have is fields it gets boring quickly.  Even the town centre is pretty boring.  There are a few odd places but it's impossible to get any kind of flow between obstacles as they're just too far away.  Think that's why I got into the skating.
And yes, I voted for daredevil. :D

heh, just find 2 places in town, and make it form one to the other in the shortest possible time, if you head for a direct straight line then you're sure to find some interesting places, just gotta do a lot of exploring to find most of them

Offline Becky

• EsseX Power Bockers
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 08:26:11 PM »
Im a mix of a lot of them
I trampoline a lot and have done since I was 11, before that I did gymnastics from about 4-8years
Ive been part of a circus skills group since I was 18, but have been able to juggle for years
Ive performed on stage in shows and concerts since I started secondary school
And I found bocking, cos all my friends were into it and I had to try it too!

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 08:58:42 PM »
extreme for me, i suppose i started with judo, then 10 years of thai boxing along with downhill mountain biking and aggresive skating, then onto a more freeride style of biking, then bocking

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 10:48:17 PM »
None of the above my background was a bit more Extreme  :Claugh:

Horse Riding (I was given all the "Thats gonna kill someone" rejects) so got used to hitting the ground at 25mph+ and from 6-10 ft up then getting kicked or troden on once you stop rolling :Cbiggrin:

Model Helis (try flying a big £1000 heli in strong winds with no gyros and see how fast your reactions become  :Cbiggrin:) That taught me when to duck

Sliding down the Scaffolds at work (before health and saftey ruined my fun  :Cno:) only 8 floors I was a bit of a whoos

Untold car and motorbike acidents (in excess of 25 I think  :Cerr:) Rolling the robin reliant supervan was fun especially as it fell in half   :Cwideeyed:

And the most frightening and dangerous thing a man can do I'm Married  :Claugh:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Kazbahn

• :D
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 10:55:37 PM »
That's quite a history you've got there jason :P

Personally... i do archery, kung-fu, and would have got into parkour, except i do live in the only place in the world where there is actually nothing to do. i then saw the stilts and was like ' WOW MUST HAVE' so bought some.
;D

Offline Rumjahn

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 11:36:06 PM »
Wow, those are great responses everyone! This thread turned out to be way better than I expected.

I knew that most of us in the forum would fall under more than category, but the limitations of the poll only allow you to vote once. Anyway, I separated out the categories as widely as I could. Best I could do.

As for me, I think I'm mainly fitness, I played a lot of tennis in high school, then started weightlifting in college. I went to medical school and there I started inline skating for fun and exercise. Also played roller hockey for a little bit. Then I discovered rock climbing, but had to stop after I moved away from D.C., where my main climbing partner lives (I'll still climb occasionally when he travels out to the West Coast, where I live). The U.S. Navy put me through medical school, so when I graduated it was time to pay back the service. I chose to become a Flight Surgeon, and was stationed with a Marine Corps light attack helicopter squadron. As their flight surgeon, I was required to spend a certain amount of time flying, so I learned how to fly the helicopters (AH-1W Supercobras and UH-1N Hueys). Now that was pretty extreme, but they never let me into a hot zone as my job was to heal the sick and not kill bad guys. While taking off and gracefully landing a 10,000 lb. killing machine isn't really athletic, it does require a certain amount of eye-hand coordination and steely resolve, so I think it counts for something.

Now I'm out of the Navy and in residency for to become an anesthesiologist (or anaesthetist, if you're a Brit). I have very little time, and found I wasn't even lifting weights anymore.

I was at Disneyland and saw people on bocks in a parade, and decided I HAD to have a pair! Took a few days to convince my wife, but all is good now. I'm still new to the sport, but I love it!

No less thrilling is being a part of this wonderful, diverse bocking community! Thanks for all the great reading and let's have fun out there!

--Howie

P.S. Dark Knight, I might have you beat in the age department. I'm 35 years old, born in 1973.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 11:39:05 PM by Rumjahn »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 11:48:24 PM »
Oops I forgot about Archery Kazbahn

Longbows were my mainstay for field (used to make my own) only dangerous when you hit a nearby tree and get the arrow back  :Cbiggrin:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 11:54:23 PM »
Wow Rumjahn, what a cool life!
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 12:09:20 AM »
oh yeah, i also forgot about the archery, though until the beginning of this year i hadn't done any for years
(someone today brought in a 120 lb longbow, no one could pull the dam thing XD)

Offline Rumjahn

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 12:36:50 AM »
Brendan,

See I thought YOU had a cool life when I read your background! Just goes to show, it takes all types.

BTW, I forgot to include archery too. Hahaha. Seems despite the diversity here, we all have a lot in common. Mainly, a sense of seeking the extraordinary, and not settling for the status quo.

Maybe there's a psych thesis in all of this, if somebody were interested.

--Howie

Offline Jelly

• jagermeister is the bocking medicine
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 01:49:21 AM »
Well im not sure where dancing is put, but i have danced since i was a wee lassy, competing in competitons, dancing in shows, on podiums, even pole dancing at stringfellows, Ooer missus.  :Cbiggrin:
Have a few years of gymnastics but never competed just did it for fun, as well as some acrobatics, which i would incorporate into dancing.
Ice skating which i was very good at, especially speed skating.
Have always been a tomboy, so did skateboarding and BMXing when younger, throwing myself across PARKED cars, throwing myself down stairs, climbing trees and blocks of flats, i got to the the 5th floor before falling off, lol.  :Ctongue:
I had always wanted to be a stunt woman, but i never quite got around to it.
Im a big lover of rugby, but when i play football im always still in rugby mode.
Have performed in plays, shows and concerts doing comedy, acting, singing, dancing etc. Been an extra in adverts, the Spice Girl movie, a low budget gangster film and James Bond film the World Is Not Enough.
Have trained in Judo, karate and Oragami.  :Cwink:
Done a bungee jump and will be asking people for Sponsors for an Accelerated free fall parachute jump without an instructor strapped on to me, this year for charity. So get your money ready please!
Saw these wonderful contraptions on tv bout 6 years ago and lo and behold my fella gets me a pair, brilliant!
Im always up for a dare and want to try everything at least once.
And im slighty Mad too, i think. :Claugh:
Jelly x
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 01:53:18 AM by Jelly »

Dark Knight

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 03:02:02 AM »
And im slighty Mad too, i think. :Claugh:
Jelly x
Only "slighty mad" be proud and be completely bonkers like the rest of us  :Ctwitcy:

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 11:00:52 AM »
K so possibly i'm more like Clive (charlie B), seeing as i play loads of sports very often, pretty much anything tbh. I also help coach most of them at school, with little people. I play lots of hockey, every week (thats field hockey if you are from the US). I also used to sprint lots, 100m and 200m, plus javelin and triple jump. I recently qualified for the finals of the national street athletics...but didn't win xD. I can ski pretty well, and landed my first flip last year! (accidentally).

However i also juggle, with fire if need be. Plus i'm not really getting into some of the tricking side of stuff, on my feet, which is pretty awsome as well. =]

Offline Springer

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 11:03:13 AM »
Before bocks, I had done horse riding for seven years, so I'm not sure what category it falls into.
What I do know is it's very, very dangerous and I only stopped because I was nearly killed in a bad accident involving a motorway bridge, a bright orange lorry and a very worried horse!  :Ctwitcy:

Offline lynch

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 02:24:13 PM »
i got in to bocking at my m8 Adam had a set and i tried on his and i liked it so i got a pair
but before bocking i was learning to fly rc helicopters i broke the one i had then bought a nother one on ebay for cheep and didnt get round to fixing them so then when i bought bocks
woooo