Author Topic: Charlie B " Have a go " gym  (Read 6036 times)

Dark Knight

Charlie B " Have a go " gym
« on: February 18, 2009, 06:46:13 PM »
Charlie B was at Northgate Sports Hall at Sleaford today and will be Thursday.
Jester was with him and I got there 1ish.
We where not bock ourself ( I got about 15 minuets ) we where give people goes on stilts and there was a lot of interest in them as so they should. We got about 20 or so people trying them out including Staff LOL.

Charlie B was doing a great job and I was glad I could help.

See you Thursday, I love helping and besides I've go I've got their "W11    61   CUPBOARD" key in my pocket  :Ctwitcy:

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
Re: Charlie B " Have a go " gym
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 07:33:58 PM »
Can someone translate?

Dark Knight

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 07:51:25 PM »
Can someone translate?
Don't look at me   :Cnah:

Charlie B was doing at the gym letting kids try bocking ( half term activities ) at the gym.
Charlie B never got a chance to put any on and I got only a quick bock.
We got more people wanting goes than we could offer goes to.  :Claugh:

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 08:30:48 PM »
Translation

As part of our support to the Council I was asked if I could take some bocks for a come and try it event in Sleaford at the Northgate Sports Centre.

DK is right we got very little time to bock ourselves but managed to get about 15/20 children having a go between 13:00 and 16:00. we will be doing the same again tomorrow.

Did not post widely as it is a day time activity aimed at getting new people onto bocks and we only have 1/2 the sports hall.

Interedtingly the feedback has been that bocking has been the most popular come and try it sport.

Talking to the organisers they are interested in developing a club on site. So we will have to see where it goes.
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Kazbahn

• :D
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 09:22:54 PM »
 :Cmad:*RAAGE* why does this never happen up near where i live? ¬.¬

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 01:01:37 PM »
kaz

Things happen because people DO THINGS to make them happen. Most people wait and expect others to organise events and opportunities for them.

If you want something like this in your area then you need to DO SOMETHING. talk to your local Council Sports Development Officer, find out what Youth Outreach programms are happening within your local authority. talk to other people you know who might like to try bocking, get a list.

If you need any further help please PM me, give me the name of your local authority and I will try to help. But you MUST DO SOMETHING yourself
Grow old disgracefully

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 02:46:06 PM »
agreed with charlie on that one, not much was happening round surrey bockingwise, but things are starting to pick up with the springers, even enough to increase my workload just to get hte new site up and running well enough to be left alone :D

Dark Knight

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 06:23:37 PM »
Thanks to Charlie B the "Youth outreach" group are show interest in bocking.
These two sessioe just done had queues of kid's wanting to have a go, hopefully future bockers.
We may have a couple of the adults there wanting to take it up.

Once you start the ball rolling things can start moving, but you have/need to do it for yourself first.

If it's to much for one of you maybe your local bocking group can sort things out between you :)

Offline Kazbahn

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 07:05:05 PM »
Things happen because people DO THINGS to make them happen. Most people wait and expect others to organise events and opportunities for them.

That's very true, but what can i offer to organise an event like this? i'm 14, am an amateur at bocking, have not 1 other bocker around me, and am split between two local councils (alnwick and berwick, i live right on the border between the two areas).

At this stage in time, i NEED someone to do something, as even if i was good at bocking, had friends who did it, and went to the local council, they'd probably just laugh me off as some stupid teenager...

Anyway, it was just a comment, i didnt expect anyone to act on it :D

Dark Knight

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 07:16:54 PM »
At this stage in time, i NEED someone to do something, as even if i was good at bocking, had friends who did it, and went to the local council, they'd probably just laugh me off as some stupid teenager...

Anyway, it was just a comment, i didnt expect anyone to act on it :D
"Probably just laugh" mabr but then again maybe not ?
Then if they do nothing this time try again but nothing will ever happen if people don't try.

Offline Kazbahn

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 08:06:13 PM »
Fair enough DK, i'll have to at least convince one of my friends to take up the sport though, as i'm a complete tigger at the moment :P

Dark Knight

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 12:54:36 AM »
Charlie B that girl really did grab hard there's three finger marks on my upper arm plus nail marks and a pain in the wrist.
Was my fault her mate already told me she was gripping her tightly and when she paniced and grabbed me she really did b##### grab me  :Ctwitcy:

I think it went well over all and can see us having to get people booking ahead next time, which would also help with sizes limit problems too.

I've got some more idea's I'll post you them later  :Cbiggrin:

Tory's becoming a pro too getting them on and off, but did show herself up when she put some on and the buckels where the wrong way around  :Claugh:

I put some on one of the staff he must have been lieing I pulled him to his feet and ..... he was bocking !?

I just took this picture of the marks not that it looks that bad but what she did was grap my bicep muscle and squessed it hard, it's a big muscle and her fingers couldn't reach around my arm . So I've a brused muscle and some nail marks. LOL

Still hurts a bit but it's a small price to pay to see her smile when she could do it without my help   :Csmile:

Had a look is this weel Sleaford Standard for any pictures of us  :Cno:
Still that wasn't really why we where there the kids had a great time and word of mouths almost as good  :Cyes:

I did offer him a go but he said no thanks  :Ctwitcy:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 11:41:30 PM by webmaster »

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 09:56:25 PM »
Kaz

Difficult one as you are only 14 (same age as my son).  best way would be to find out what youth outreach programs are being run by

Local councils
Youth service

Normally run some form of BMX , Skate boarding stuff.

see what your local school would be prepared to do to support you

Would your dad or mum help you talk to these people.

See if you can find others that would like to have a go. The Sleaford extreme sports day saw 40 people who have never tried bocks having a go. It now looks like the council will support us to develop the sport at the site.

Hope this helps
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Kazbahn

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 10:10:14 PM »
Thanks charlie, sounds like good advice.

All except from the bit about getting my parents to help, they're quite keen for me to do things for myself at the moment  :Ctwitcy:

I'm going to probably have a talk with the local leisure centre, and my school, to see which, if any, would let me host an event there.

I'm going to need some bocks aswell, as i've only got my one pair...

Naz, if you could get back to me on that message i sent you :D or if someone with a few pairs could come up to help, that'd be much appreciated... haha

doubt it, seeing as how far up north i live... although if anyone could help... pm me :P